Tanking is not fun anymore

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Jaxxan D'Arkon, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Season Active Member

What if those average players actualyl take the advice that is being given from the better players? Many people are nicely trying to help and people don't want to hear it. Why would you want things to be made easier instead of just get better? Sounds like an underachiever's attitude.

I see tanks lose aggro to 200mil spikes and tanks not lose aggro to 900 mil spikes. Of the same class mind you. It's a skill thing and timing thing. Your dps needs to work together with the tank. Take the advice, learn the game, become good.
    Armageddoux and captainbeatty451 like this.
  2. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Hahahaha touché!
    Naneeje likes this.
  3. Billzbub Active Member

Last night I ran some heroics with a less-than-optimal group makeup and we weren't very successful. The limiting factor was my ability to hold hate off two rangers and two conjurers that the Templar couldn't keep up when they pulled hate. To me, dealing with this IS fun. I can't wait to run a group tonight where I have some hate transfer and some wards to see the difference that a good group setup can make. Had we been successful last night with that group, tanking would be boring as I just turned mobs and hit my buttons in the same order every fight. Now, I have to worry about what classes are in my group, how I rotate my specials like Reinforcements and Plant, what exactly Recapture does, and more. I prefer the game to be interesting and dynamic like this, especially when playing a tank. I find myself looking forward to my evenings a lot more this expansion than previous ones, even though I'm a lot less successful.

On the other hand, the RNG gods are dicks for dropping only bruiser/monk gear that none of us could use off the bosses we actually managed to kill. :mad:
    captainbeatty451 and Season like this.
  4. Meneltel Well-Known Member

The RNG gods have been dropping that... "stuff" for awhile now. Not sure if its a hint we need more bruiser/monk players but even in my guild of alt makers, we have run out of alt bruiser/monks for all the gear that drops and now just transmute it.
  5. Justbecause Active Member

Sounds to me like the tanks who were already at the top had an easier transition into the new stuff, while others are still fighting RNG to get upgrades. Those who are fighting more than likely can't afford to sit around and wait for the perfect setup so they run with whatever they can put together. Here we are at that thin line yet again. I see this happening way to frequently and it amazes me that the cure hasn't happened yet. 2 archtypes this game can't function without and both of them seem to be getting adjusted in the wrong direction.
    Zgragy likes this.
  6. Season Active Member

I came back to the game from ToV basically and I am doing just fine right now. Many of the tanks I play with did the same and their gear was immediately replaced by hand/mastercrafted.
  7. Naneeje Well-Known Member

Reported for being a team player!
    :) well said
  8. Justbecause Active Member

I have yet to do an KA so I am simply going off of what I hear from guildies, discord, and here. I handled ToT no problem after the change there, which also sparked similar complaints. There is a very good possibility that some are struggling to lose a fabled tag for MC but just about every expansion ever it has been the correct switch. I noticed that taunts have been affected quite a bit so there really is only one other route to take. Not even sure how many tanks take strikethrough or give a crap about weapon skills anymore. I have tried to help those in my guild with it and it seems even with the help certain classes still struggle. I don't know how that new threat window works either but I have heard a good bit of negative feedback for it. If it boils down to having to snap mobs every few seconds though to maintain aggro from average-above average players either someone is not setup right or it needs to be addressed. Scoundrels and Discombobulate are either poor damage/high status choices and some won't go for it. It isn't always the tanks fault either.
  9. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Might I ask, where the heck are people getting +100% hate gain from? I don't mean that to be snarky, I'm genuinely asking, because I want to try to get there, and I'm nowhere near the ballpark on a SK. Are people throwing out all other white adorns and running +hate in every slot? Are there some +hate items I'm missing that everyone is wearing? (I haven't seen a +Hate item since AoM)? How are people getting that high? etc...
  10. Lojaak Well-Known Member

You can reforge into +hate, so the hate runes plus that, plus any buffs, I'd guess.
    Azian likes this.
  11. Billzbub Active Member

Reforging and white adorns works great, especially if you get the new purples that give you 100k ability mod. Then you can reforge ability mod into whatever you need. Your also bound to have some stats over their hard caps like casting speed that you can reforge into the things you need. If you are still short on hate, consider the old purples that give you 20% hate each. I wish I could remember the names of things.
  12. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Technically you can push your +hate up to about 250 before the diminishing returns seem to completely dry up.

Of course what you end up losing to reforge into that will probably screw you over worse.
  13. Billzbub Active Member

Holy crap. I thought there was a hard cap at 100% hate. Thanks for that info!
  14. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Not according to my dummy tests. I reforged a few different gear sets for hate gain and tested + hate gain values against a dummy and 250 was where it seemed to completely lose any additional effect. Potency and crit bonus remained the same throughout.
  15. Genghes Active Member

Do you have factual data that you could post to back this up? I would like to look at it
  16. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Yeah, i can pull the dummies out again and take screen caps of the numbers.
  17. Prayos Well-Known Member

I like your assumption that it ever was fun. :)
    Meneltel and Kuulei like this.
  18. Billzbub Active Member

That would be awesome. I'm curious to see how you measure it. Thanks!
  19. Billzbub Active Member

That may be true, but is it less unfun than the other stuff.
  20. Brightlyz Active Member

It was hard capped at +100% -50%. If this changed the devs mentioned it nowhere.
    Armageddoux likes this.