Tab Mob Select

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by tehl, Oct 19, 2013.

1. tehl New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to EQ2 but I played WoW and before that EQ1 a lot.
    I can't get the hang of using tab to select the next mob I'm fighting. When I'm surrounded by mobs all engaged in fighting me and 1 dies I want tab to select the next closest mob (rather than have to wait for 1 to hit me and auto target or use the mouse) this sometimes happens, but, more often, tab selects an NPC who is non-hostile, or it selects a shiny or a mob at the limit of draw distance on the horizon who isn't even fighting.

Shouldn't tab cycle through the closest mobs first?
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

The "next closest target" key is F8 by default. Tab seems to be fairly random in it's selection.
    tehl likes this.
  3. tehl New Member

Aha! That's great, thanks. I'll use that now. Yeah, the tab select is very random.

There are so many excellent things I love about EQ2 but these games do have a big learning curve..
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

Another tip, if you have a spell for a fight that must land on one opponent. You can make a macro by right clicking the ability and hitting "make macro" then by adding a command that says "/target <Opponents Name>" without the <> you will automatically target that person then cast the skill as long as the command is above the skill in the macro line. This is great for targeting adds in raids quickly when they spawn in.

Another he way Tab works. There is a list the game keeps of all NPC's in range both Hostile and non-hostile. Tab cycles through the list from the top or from where you are by targeting a boss. Knowing the order of this list can make Tab faster than F8 if the enemy you want is say the 3rd add standing on top of the boss.
  5. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Yeah. Raiding back in KoS, we used to have to keep a /target Gnorbl macro on the hotbar.
    Finora likes this.
  6. Sevantal Member

This is not true. Tab targets first the closest mob in front of you. Then cycles away from you from there and only targets what your avatar can see. IMO you need target nearest hotkeyed as Q and use both the Q and the TAB to manipulate the mobs kill order. Using both is a win.