Swash vs Brigand = Mes vs Ruse?

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-Turb0T, Mar 29, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Turb0T Guest

Heya,

I'm thinking of betraying Freeport to make my rogue a swashie rather than a brigand.

Having looked through the skillsets and the boards, I don't see any recent (10 screens back) discussion of the two subclasses' differences.

Does it boil down to having a 20 sec mes on a 30 sec timer (Swashie, grin) against a high damage frontal attack on a 1 min timer (Bridgand, ruse)?

Swashies seem to have more taunts, brigands more stuns, and brigands have a few more DoT effects.

It seems some people really like the mes, others wish they had the 'big hit' ruse. Those not fussed by the big hit say that swashies have faster, lower damage output that adds up similar, but uses more power to do so.

Fair comment? Anything else to sway me to the Good Path? :)

Thanks!
  2. ARCHIVED-Erasmus Guest

Dont compare ruse to mez.

Heres the deal:

Swashies get undercut. Roughly 120 damage every 9 seconds.
    Brigands get Ruse. roughly 800 damage ( depending on upgrade and level) every 60 seconds.

Thats
    720 dmg (undercut) vs.
    800 dmg (ruse)

And undercut doesnt waste as much time, easily making up the 80 damage.

This was tested between me and an equal level brigand on the same mob.

Ruse requires frontal poistioning, and is INTENDED to requite the brigand to be hit before it fires. It also causes the brigand to lay down for a few seconds IIRC.

Undercut can be used in any position, but its upgrade ( hamstring) requires a rear position.

In the end it ends up being roughly equal. In a good group, the brigand only gets to use ruse once every other fight.

Brigands get stuns, swashies get mez.

Basically you are trading a slight increase in DPS for better utility. Not really much of a trade either. Its pretty close.

Message Edited by Erasmus on 04-02-2005 01:00 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-Turb0T Guest

Thanks Erasmus.

The difference though is power usage? The swashie will use 7 times the power, since Ruse and Undercut have similar costs?

Think I'll need to keep my provisioner active to sustain the swashie's power craving ;)
  4. ARCHIVED-Tehhu Guest

why did you compare Ruse with Undercut? i dont see at all what kind of relevance that has.

the difference between swash and ranger and brigand and assasin is negligable. they all do roughly the same dps over a course of time. Of course the predators will win in a one fight parse. They have those ginormous timer moves. The difference in swash vs brigand is very very slim. Ive parsed against many brigands and the dps is the same. Swashbucklers biggest damage move is on a 10 second timer, assasins is on a one hour time....

if you want to compare only big moves like brigands ruse think of it as this way.

swashbuckler brazen thrust adept III 6 times per minute = 2700ish damage per minute = 360 times in one hour = roughly 160,000 damage
    swashbuckler cats paw adept III twice per minute = about 1000 damage per minute = 60,000 damage per hour
    assasin assasinate move = 1 per hour = no where near that
    brigand ruse = once per minute = roughly 1000 damage per minute = 60,000 damage per hour.
    ranger = i have no clue what a ranger does.

yeah...maybe im bias, or maybe its just ignorance...im not a brigand50/ranger50/assasin50/swashbuckler50, i can only tell you what i have seen and learned in game to this point.
  5. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

A lot of swashy skills are STILL broke too and even more are broke since patch with timer adjustments.

Swashbucklers don't have it as good as some people think.
  6. ARCHIVED-Erasmus Guest

Because they are recieved at a similar level and basically do the same thing over time. And its a swashy specific line, unlike most other lines which are very similar with a different name.