Struggling Monk needs help

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Crowder, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Crowder Member

The other day I tried doing Dom for the first time and I cannot make it through Ahrmatal the Scorcher without using my temps and my stoneskins.. So basically i would make it a little over 40 seconds before I would just die. I had two healers in the group (Channeler and Mystic). Can I get some advice on my spec?
    Gutterclown @ EQ2Wire
    Gutterclown @ DragonsArmory
    I was told that I needed more health but I am not really sure where I could get it. I have the two runes that give extra health.

Thanks!
  2. Corydonn Well-Known Member

Drop the STR line with chi in favor of Eagle Shriek/Eagle's Patience, and you REALLY need to pick up the 10% beneficial duration in the 3rd dragon line for your tsunami rotations with Inner Focus and Mit Temps when those are down. 10 points into Inner Focus on the Heroic Tree might not be a bad idea either for the extra trigger and extra second of immunities to physical damage. You could probably swap the hate gain on Dragonfire to 20% more warding on Outward Calm as well.

I would even free up 19 points as a monk by dropping both TSO endlines and only picking the 5 points in Stone Stance since reuse on Peel and Mend is kind of useless now with capped Reuse speed.

You also might want to considering swapping charms to ones that reduce damage on click and/or if you are having aggro troubles with full defensive getting the hate positions on every spell/CA charm. Sure 100% and 110% potency sounds great on paper but now that healers are hitting 800-1000% potency it's isn't that great anymore.
  3. Ansom Active Member

The rest of the grp? A good dirge in defensive aa can help :).

A monk don't need the full defensive aa, for clean Dom (but you need the the 10% beneficial duration, in any case). Of course, you need to rotate all the ca... Is more simple with only one (decent) healer, and more dps.

ps. a topic for the monk rotation #mce_temp_url#
  4. Crowder Member

Thanks for the input. The group setup was monk, illy, warlock x2, channeler, mystic.

Corydonn, is this defensive setup better? linky...

So basically this fight is all about keeping the temps rotated and if they are not up you are dead?
  5. Azian Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know much of anything about Monks in general but my opinion is that group could be a tough setup for any tank class. A dirge or conjuror swapped for the 2nd lock and a templar or druid in place of one of the healers would go a long way. Dirges and conj have a group stoneskin proc that's very helpful. Mystic/channeler is not the healer combo I would call optimum for that fight either. I realize there are many healers who solo heal the zone from a variety of classes. I still stand by my comment though.
  6. Ansom Active Member

The best heals for dom (on my monk), are warden/templar.

For the aa.. no. just no.

you need the block chance on str line, even the dps is cute, because you need 600dps.. and the flurry end line is very cute (if you wanna the eagle, you need to drop mantis.

On monk tree: you need 5 point on mend, and you can remove the 5 on outward (even the 5point on tsunami, are a waste, 1 or 2 are fine).

heroic: hostily is a waste, and you need stone cold, not cm.

shadow: hidden opening is a very nice ca. you need 5 point on meditative mending, and one point on followup. battle harden is a waste, better swin strike.

So.. you need to rebuild all :)

EDIT: you need to change something on reforge and adorn to.
  7. xkrisx Well-Known Member

I would like to charm in and say that you have a boatload of Mitigation armor and jewelry and your Block% seems to be lacking due to this. I would drop down a little on the mitigation and bump your Block% back up. I run around 160% block to keep my uncontested block chance capped " 70% ". I only run about 12k mitigation on my brawler and cant tank anything in game.
    Corydonn likes this.
  8. Crowder Member

Which items need to need to have a reforge correction?
  9. Ansom Active Member

you have 100aoe, and 91 strikethrough, but with only 120dps.. are not helpful, because you will hit the named like a very little girl.

the soft cap for the dps is 600, and you need 600 for keep agro.
  10. Buffrat Well-Known Member

http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/446678983372

Tanked anything and everything in game.

AE Auto doesn't matter, you're wasting a lot of reforge value. You can click Crane Flock when you need ae aggro.

400 dps, 200 haste, 100 ma, 47 hate gain, 100 buffed cast/reuse, etc.

Your stats look fine except for your dps mod being too low. As far as last named in VD, get better healers. Also:

Tag Team -> Inner Focus -> B&W -> Tsunami -> Mit Temps+Tenacity+Provoking -> Fiery Dragon Essence and/or Stone Cold when Provoking wears off -> Healer Saves if needed -> Tag Team -> Inner Focus -> pray until other avoids are back up. Use unmentioned saves as needed/on kbs.
    Corydonn likes this.
  11. xkrisx Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but I dropped Stone Cold in favor of running Tag Team and CM full time. I did math on the 15% DR for the grp and in cases were the grp DR was needed, it wasn't enough to make it worthwhile.

EDIT: and neither does Wants for that matter :)
  12. Ansom Active Member

Is not crazy... But depend on grp skill and situation. For example on dom, with a decent grp is better TT/CM, more dps with cm, the figth are shorter, you don't need to cycle 4000 time your spell, everybody are happy.

ps. for the dps, 600 is better. Monk can easy manage agro with a decent melee dps. 400 are fine if you use all the toy, and decent grp (with very hight dps, you need agro support). With the right grp, 400 can become 550/600.. But you need a decent grp, with player able to read the spell.. Hard to find this day!
    xkrisx likes this.
  13. Silzin Active Member

I found that Stone Cold is only useful in the most desperate of situation.

But all around good advice here
  14. Crowder Member

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get a much better group and take down Ahrmatal!
    Corydonn likes this.
  15. Buffrat Well-Known Member

I never had any trouble with aggro in any situation since the OP threat changes went in.
  16. Corydonn Well-Known Member

Oh hey! You used my suggestions! I'm glad they worked out for ya! :)

Same deal as Buffrat here. I've got 0 problems with aggro as a brawler now even at 0 dps 0 MA 0 Haste.
  17. Crowder Member

I actually used that spec for almost every boss except the first one. Worked out pretty well I think especially with buffrat's temp rotation.

Yup. I never had problems with aggro even with the low dps mod.
  18. Ebofu Active Member

Yeah Buffrat's order looks fine. I personally prefer inner focus before tag team. The reuse/cycle syncs up with Tenacity so you can use them at same time and since it's reuse is same as Tenacity duration, its up immediately following still.