Storming Tempest not getting full Ability Mod?

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ARCHIVED-ericman, Oct 20, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-ericman Guest

Is storming tempest broken? I thought I remembered the initial hit being much higher than the tooltip currently is showing. It looks like the ability mod from the ticks is not getting added to the initial hit. My initial hit is exactly the tick amount plus my ability mod. It seems like it should be much higher than that because my ability mod is not capped for the ticks of storming tempest....so the initial hit should add the ability mod for the initial hit plus the ability mod for each of the 5 ticks (which would make the initial hit much higher).
    I'll also point out again, although it's been pointed out before, that from reading the description of ST it should get 6 ticks but it only ever gets 5 with the final seconds of the dot wasted. That's not specifically what this post is about, but apparently that part has been broken for a very long time.
  2. ARCHIVED-thajoka Guest

Ability mod doesn't lump sum what your ability mod would be if you had it added to each tick. To make example. If you add 50 ability mod to a dot with 5 ticks. You don't have 250 ability mod, you still only get 50 added to the front. The part where DoTs play a different role concerning ability mod compared to DD spells is that the cap of a DoT is calculated as if all the ticks were added together im pretty sure. To make easy numbers, if 1/2 a spells number is its max ability mod allowed. A single DD spell for 100 would only take 50 ability mod at most. A dot that hits for 100 then ticks for 100 five more times would allow a max ability mod of 300 to be added to the front end. Does that make sense?

Im not 100% on my calculations but in the big picture DoT spells have a higher ability mod limit than an equal front end hitting DD spell.
  3. ARCHIVED-ericman Guest

Yea I understand. Not sure why I thought there was a separate mod check for each tick. Thanks
  4. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

Ability mod caps are based upon the total damage dealt by the spell, the cap being 1/2 of the total damage. Here is a numerical example:

Spell is 500-1000 instantly and 200-300 every 5 seconds for 25 seconds. In this case, total spell damage is 1500 - 2500.
    Thus, your ability mod cap for the spell is 750 (minimum) to 1250 (maximum).

For a caster with 1500 ability mod, the spell would then read:
    1250 - 2250 instantly and 200-300 every 5 seconds for 25 seconds.

For a caster with 750 ability mod, the spell would read:
    1250 - 1750 instantly and 200-300 every 5 seconds for 25 seconds.

For a caster with 500 ability mod, the spell would read:
    1000 - 1500 instantly and 200-300 every 5 seconds for 25 seconds.