Stopping the pet from guarding

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Pdor, Dec 20, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Pdor Guest

Hi there,
    i'm having some problems with pet guarding when mobs use AE attacks : it just keeps switching target and sometimes, if i don't notice, it goes for the just mezzed one.
    Is there a way to switch off guarding?

thanks

EDIT : oh, and i forgot the quote from the mezzer : 'Do you really need that pet?' lol
    Message Edited by Pdor on 12-20-2004 01:52 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-El Chupacabras Guest

If an AoE hits your pet, he isn't guarding, he's defending himself. The only way to get him off is to "back off" after the tank gets the taunt. You can also just hit attack for the MT's target and the pet should go right to the one you told it too (until the next AoE or hit). The MT grabbing all the agro is the trick to getting your pet back on the right mob. If the pet takes one hit he'll change target, best all those hits go to the MT.

I've found that the pet won't work exactly as you may like with a 'chanter all the time but for the most part if you keep a good eye on him he won't cause enough grief that the mezzer should be fussing about him. Worst thing is probably having to offtank one with your pet while the 'chanter holds all but the MT's target. There's no reason not to do that (unless you're running the grim etc.) and I would say it's probably about as efficient since we don't use as much power for AoE's so you can cast a couple more pet heals.

Jab the pet attack button early and often, in the end that's the best way I've found to keep good control of the pet. If you see an AoE go off, immediatly hit that pet attack, he should mind what you said... though he may break one mez. I imagine the chanter should be able to live with that... we sacrifice alot of damage to accomadate a 'chanters playstyle, the least they could do is not complain because they got a mez off a split second after a mob hit your pet.

The pet will always defend itself, if it's set to follow it won't defend you. I have had the pet defend me even when set to follow a few times, I've found that resummoning the pet and then telling it to follow usually clears that up.
  3. ARCHIVED-Urguwno Guest

Unfortunately the pet commands don't work as one would expect due to poor AI programming.

I wish they'd change it so pets would never auto-defend (guard), as that is the root of all pet evil.

Pets should only have these two commands:
    --> Attack: Attacks the target. Will not switch targets unless so instructed.
    --> Back Off: Follows master. Will not attack unless given the attack command.
  4. ARCHIVED-Jakanden Guest

Hear Hear - I miss the EQLive pet control =(
  5. ARCHIVED-umerr Guest

Keeping in mind that this is not EQ....Pet classes in EQ always had this problem. It wasn't until you earned a relatively high level Alternate Advancement ability did it allow you to prevent your pet from attacking when it (or you) were attacked.

Pet classes without this ability were usually not allowed to summon pets for raids because it wiped many raids lol.