Still stuck in the character loop

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by PapaYeti, Sep 30, 2013.

1. PapaYeti New Member

I recently downloaded the game over the weekend, and everything seemed to be going well. I originally tried to access the game as soon as it said that it was playable (was still downloading patches in the background). I was able to create my character fine, but when I clicked "play" on the character select screen, it started to load on one screen, then another. However, instead of logging into the game, it sent me back to the character screen.

I thought that it was missing some files, so I waited until the entire download was complete and tried again. Same thing happened. I then tried to delete the created character, and was given the error that I couldn't delete the character for unknown reasons.

I read some older posts about this problem and tried to troubleshoot some with those suggestions. This is what I tried so far:

-Deleted Cache folder
    -Deleted .exe file and had the updated re-install it
    -Disabled my firewall (then went back and completely disabled my anti-virus protection)
    -Tried different servers/character classes/starting locations, etc.

After deleting the Cache folder, I was able to delete the character I created, but when I created another one, I find myself stuck in the same loop. Getting very frustrated lol!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
  2. starfishpaws Member

This happened to me too when I first installed. Hopefully someone out there has an easier way to fix it but what I had to do was completely uninstall the game, including any folders left behind by the uninstaller program, and then redownload the entire game without logging into it until it said it was completely downloaded. I thought it was something about my pc setup but once I got it working I never bothered tracking it down. I hope this helps! Also, welcome to EQ2. :)

ETA: I know you said you already downloaded a second time, I think what made the difference for me was hunting down and deleting all the folders the uninstaller left behind. As I recall there were some in left behind in my USER folder as well as the ones in program files. I think I did a search for everquest and eq2 to find them. Good luck!
  3. Finora Well-Known Member

http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28923/kw/game download launchpad

I don't know if you used the streaming download from the main EQ2 website or what, but you might want to try to full download from here instead. I've personally never had anything but trouble from the streaming launcher when I tried it so recommend anyone to just wait for the full download.

Good luck.
  4. PapaYeti New Member

Still no success....This is what I've recently tried...

Did a complete uninstall of the game, and went back through my files and deleted everything that had to do with Everquest and Sony Entertainment. I then downloaded it directly from the EQ2 site (instead of the streaming downloader) and let the game completely install before trying to login (didn't even give me the option to log in during download this time). I was able to log into the account, and it actually let me delete a previously created character (which was more than I could do before)! However, once I created a new character and clicked "play", it started to load and kicked me back to the same screen...

Thanks to the two that posted before, at least that got me a little further!!

Any other ideas on what might be going on?
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

Try posting this again up in the support forums. I just now reallized it was in the tips forum.

Could be something one of the support folk can help you figure out.
  6. starfishpaws Member

Are you running Win 7? I am and I wondered if that was a common factor. This probably won't be helpful but I tried everything I could think of when it happened to me and I might be wrong about what actually fixed it. Anyway, here are some things I tried - maybe one of these is actually important?

My program installed to: C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest II
    I changed the setting to allow EQ2VoiceService to communicate through Windows Firewall (even though I don't use it in-game)

If I think of anything else I'll post it, just in case. Good luck!