Steam CoE and ....

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Heinzy, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Heinzy Active Member

How do I avoid re downloading the whole game if all I did was buy the CoE expac through steam?
    I have the whole game install in another folder...
  2. Elostirion Well-Known Member

You organize a lot of other people and complain as a group about the coming industry standard of content providers keeping all of the credentialization for who owns what in their own servers and requiring customers to trust them to remember what we bought and paid for.

Its an effort to run around copyright law that (currently) says you only get to sell something once, and then it (mostly) belongs to the purchaser. They're trying to keep you from recognizing that the EULAs we've been agreeing to for years are unenforceable, and that you can actually legally sell your CoE discs to someone else when you get tired of them.

If they never give you any discs, you dont have much to sell. While that might arguably be better for the industry (the suppliers of our fun, and therefore better for our fun), putting our past purchases at the mercy of their server issues is a step too far, IMHO.
  3. Terein Active Member

.... what? I'm confused, what does your distrust with digital downloads have to do with OPs question..?

I'd answer you OP but I don't know enough about the steam version of the game. It should have added CoE to your account though, so you should be able to use whatever you were using before you bought it on steam.
  4. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Should be able to just launch it from your original installation and the patcher should download the expansion.
  5. Wurm Well-Known Member

Its real easy follow these step to the letter and you will receive you key to add to your SOE account.

1) Copy your steam folder somewhere, it can be on the same drive.

2) Uninstall steam. This will erase all your games, but that's why we copied your folder.

3) Re-install steam, click on EQ2 and start the download.

4) Right click EQ2 in your library list and choose "view CD key" once you have it copied stop the EQ2 download and choose delete local content.

5) log into your SOE account add the key.

6) Delete the new steam folder, rename the copied folder back.

7) You're done
  6. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Steam thinks it knows where EQ should live better than the customer. So thats the cause of this mess, which will repeat if the OP ever reloads his box. So it is germane.

Blowing away the steam install and moving your EQ install to where steam expects it should bandaid the issue. Having two folders will invite latency and versioning mismatches