Steam client needs a few achievements

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-captain_video, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-captain_video Guest

DCUO has them on Steam, and people go nuts trying to collect them. EQ2 could get just as much benefit if someone on the team patched in a few. I know some people think they're silly, and I'm not posting to get into that argument. If the idea is to make a little $, then anything that holds the attention of new players is good.
  2. ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper Guest

captain_video wrote:
    I don't think it's silly at all. But it just hasn't climbed the priority ladder.
    Still, there's no denying it should be done. It's on the list.
  3. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    If he's talking about displaying the achievements through steam's normal interface i'm all for it.
    However i tend to dislike gaming platforms and steam is a hassle sometimes, first it always like to stay in the background and will stay there even if the game doesn't need it to run and there is no option to switch it off if the options menu.
    The second is when it comes to downloading there is no priority or quick-start options. if one of your games has to update you won't notice it till you have already quicklaunched a game from a shortcut.
    Also you are inviting new bugs and problems to arise i know of at least one game where using the steam version would bug the sound ingame with only a small number of sounds still working.
  4. ARCHIVED-Forsaken1 Guest

Sorry OP, but steam is evil. I play a number of single player games that require you have to have Steam running to launch them.
    Then it stays running in the back ground, eating up resources. Personally I could care less if people see my achievements. But I have no option to turn it off.
    And to top it all off, when you log out you get blasted with unwanted advertisements. So, No Thanks!
  5. ARCHIVED-Dawkitty Guest

Forsaken1 wrote:
    Steam->Settings->Interface->Untick "Notify me (with Steam instant messages) about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases."
    There. You no longer get blasted with advertisements. Ever.
    As for the amount of resources it takes up, it's pretty small. Unless you're running on a system with 512 megs or less (and if you are, I shudder at what your eq2 experience must be like) Steam is unnoticeable in system performance. On my system built in 2008, with only 2 gigs of ram, there is no difference in system performance whether or not its running.
    So maybe you dislike the platform, but I would hardly class it as "evil".
  6. ARCHIVED-Montfalcon Guest

I would be in favor of Steam achievements. Also, relaunching the new f2p EQ2 on Steam would be a good opportunity to make a big splash now that Valve is supporting f2p games on the service. I wouldn't know what has to happen on the business side to make that happen, but it would be nice to see.
  7. ARCHIVED-sundrop Guest

Im down! I just hope I would not have to redo the achievements I already completed :p
  8. ARCHIVED-Dawkitty Guest

Ardwulf@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Actually, that part has already happened: http://store.steampowered.com/news/6951/
    There isn't the same kind of advertising for it that DCUO had, but it definitely shows up in their f2p section now.