Starting Everequest 2!

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Jadmere, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Jadmere New Member

Hi everyone. I have just downloaded Everquest 2 and was ready to start the game when i found that the all races and classes are unlocked now. Help me! What class should i pick (i prefer mages or some kind of rogue classes), that will be good at solo and which race should suit it well. Also what server should i pick and when should i become a silver/gold member ? Thank you and sorry if my english is bad, Hail from Russia!
  2. Lucus Well-Known Member

as far as scouts go i think you'd be best off starting a ranger as they have both ranged and melee combat arts meaning you can still hit enemies hard in groups without having to be right in the mob's face (can be useful for AE happy mobs),

you get a couple of snares. a ranged and melee one as well as a trap you can use to keep them out of your face while solo.

for mages i'd recommend ether necro/conj since you can have a pet tank for you or you could go wizard and tradeskill as a sage to make yourself spell upgrades (like shackle) and use it to keep a mob you are fighting outside of melee range and toast it from afar.

as for races i'd suggest you look at this page to find a set of racial bonuses you like (some are innate others you have to invest in)

i'm not sure on which server you should join as for silver/gold you could wait till you are lvl90 and grind out your aa points to cap or you could subscribe gold from the start level up without restrictions and when you find spots you think would be good to grind aas you can set the aa conversion slider to 100% and work on them.
  3. SentinelBasch Active Member

Welcome to the game!

Mage and scout classes are top-tier damage classes. They are really great for razing down the mobs, but this extra power does come at the cost of some survivability. Most solo content should not be an issue, but there are group mobs scattered around the regular maps that will occasionally give you trouble. If you take a mercenary along, it becomes a non-issue.

The healer classes excel at staying alive, but their damage output is pretty low compared to the other classes.

The fighter classes are a bit more balanced between damage and survival.

Racial abilities are nice to have, but not critical. Many of the innate ones can be replicated through tinkering, something that all characters can learn. Pick one that you like to look at - you'll be seeing him/her a lot.

As a free to play player, you can go to Level 90 without paying anything. For content beyond Level 90, you will need the Chains of Eternity expansion. The Age of Discovery expansion provides you with some benefits that can help you from the start, but they are not essential, especially earlier on. Gold sub does still have its benefits, and depending on how often you play, will save you money in the long run. Try it out for free and see how it goes.

Good luck to you. :)
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

First off welcome to the game!

For mages I personally prefer wizards/warlocks but that's just me. I enjoy soloing with my warlock. Most people would likely suggest necro or conjurer for solo though since you bring along your own tank. Of those two I'd personally go with necro because they get a feign death, though if you decide to tinker you can get a longer reuse FD on any class.

Scouts, while I have a ranger I rather enjoy soloing on, brigands & swashbucklers aren't shabby soloers either. I haven't had any issues with my assassin either, but she's only 30 so that's not saying a lot.

As far as race goes, some of them give you minor advantages but most of them really aren't that huge. The one I personally like best is the tracking ability on non-scouts due to their race (Wood elves, half elves, halflings and kerran all can track no matter the class). Feather fall (fae, arasai, erudite, dark elf, high elf) is nice but many cloaks have it as well as any carpet mount, leaper, glider and of course flying mounts. Waterbreathing (iksar, froglok, erudite) is also nice but otter totems aren't expensive & fishbone earring heritage quest isn't hard & can be done before level 40. Some seem awesome at first glance (immunity to stun) but then you see the reuse timer.