Stacking Wards

Discussion in 'Defiler' started by ARCHIVED-DontHitMe, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-DontHitMe Guest

Quick question: do wards stack? Meaning: if I place a single ward and the group ward on the tank (for example), will they stack?
    Lets say I put a single ward that is good for 2k and a group that is worth 4k of points. If the tank gets hit for 1k, is what is left over 1k for the single and 3k for the group, or will there be 1k left for the single and still 4k for the group left (or vice versa)?
    Hope that makes sense!
    I just didn't know if putting both wards on at the same time is a waste

Thanks
  2. ARCHIVED-Kari Guest

The wards do stack, and it is definately worth having both up at the same time. The first ward cast will be the first one used, and then after that ward is used up it will start using the second ward. So in your example if you cast the single first and the group second, then the 1k hit would come off the single ward and your group ward would still keep the full 4k amount available to absorb other hits.
    Wards from other shaman do not stack with each other, so if you are in the same group as a mystic and you cast your single ward and then he casts his, the second ward will overwrite the first one and the first one will vanish.
  3. ARCHIVED-DontHitMe Guest

Thank you so much for the info...
    As a followup question, do you recommend group first or single first based on this conversation? or does it really matter?
    Thanks again!
  4. ARCHIVED-Sedenten Guest

DontHitMe wrote:
    Usually I do single then group on prepulls and then recast them as they pop back up with other wards (deathward, etc.) and debuffs in between recasts. The order is also based on the situation. On fights where the damage is heavy on the tank, I almost always make sure I do a fresh single ward on the tank and then start a group ward.
    Also, remember your group ward is shared across the entire group and is not a seperate ward on each group member (i.e. if the group ward lands for 4k, each group member eats way from that 4k "pool" when they take damage, until the group ward absorbs a total of 4k, the duration expires, or it is refreshed). That can also play into which one you end up casting first in a given fight.
  5. ARCHIVED-Estean1 Guest

Single is the faster casting of the 2 so cast it first. Even if its on pre-pull you will have the single target ward back up first and it can save the tank cause you can throw the faster casting one back on him first if he's really getting thrashed.
  6. ARCHIVED-Macross_JR Guest

for me, if both of my wards are up, I'm casting group ward first, no question. It's the biggest ward we have and will prevent the most damage. I'll then follow up with single target ward. I do this in case I might need to cast a quick ward on someone in a different group(while raiding that is).