Spells being resisted

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Vazi, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Vazi New Member

I've been having a very frustrating time with my Wizard just lately, with his spells being resisted a lot more than usual, resulting in my dps on him being mediocre compared to what it can be when this isn't happening. Completely chops my dps in half or worse.

I've been unable to figure out what the problem is, tried various different AA specs (since GM told me that it -could- be that), increased my magical skill and spells up from expert to master, although not all because Solar Flare is grandmaster and still is being resisted a bunch, but it seems to get worse the more i improve his gear. As an example my necromancer sees a noticeable amount less resists in a daily run through HKC than my wizard does, being almost completely brand new, with no masters, around 150 less magical skill, in cryptic gemmed gear opposed to my wizard in full potent with a few ethereals. Haven't been able to figure out the cause of this and can't find any help on forums. Other wizards I've asked have said they can't tell what the problem would be, just to make sure to cast Ice Spears since it lowers resistance on mobs vs elemental damage, but that is one of the main spells i'm struggling with being resisted, and even when it lands doesn't seem to make the blind bit of difference.

In short, I'm wondering if this is normal for other wizards out there, if not, what on earth I can do to remedy these resists, or at least lower them more, because I'm not convinced what I'm doing is working at all, it only seems to be making things worse :/ Is there a way to completely negate resists, or is that not possible? Keep in mind I'm not raiding, only running heroic content/HKC.

Thanks, if anybody can shed some light on this for me.

Link to Wizard : http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/433794158683
  2. Iseous Active Member

Necromancers have a group/raid buff that reduces resist-ability by 5%, along with a pet that automatically debuffs a mob by about 4k, assuming you have the mitigation debuff increase in the Necromancer Tree and Minion's Mark. Thus, regardless of your group and their ability to debuff, you can pretty much have the mob max debuffed to disease damage without doing anything but /pet attack, which helps pretty much all your spells. On the other hand, your wizard has to actually cast it, which many times will get resisted, and even then it's only like half of what a Necromancer pet can debuff, plus some of your spells are Elemental and some are Arcane, and Ice Spears only affects Elemental. So unless your Wizard's group can debuff for you against Elemental and Arcane, then expect to get resisted a lot more than your Necromancer.
  3. Vazi New Member

Well okay, that explains why the necro has it easier, so thank you for clearing that up, was unaware of why it was so much easier for him so that's useful to know :) Doesn't help me any on the wizard front though, which i would like to continue to be my main toon, but this is becoming increasingly demoralizing to me. Does his increased magical skill not make any difference at all to resists? If he has arcane spells also, is he unable to debuff for that damage type himself, do i have to rely upon a certain class other than a wizard doing that?
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

They haven't made spell-resists needed for some time. People got used to always-hitting when in reality Resisted spells (and even earlier Spell Fizzling) was how they balanced Melee-v-Magic DPS. I'm not sure if they are bringing that back given our "makes harder to resist" stuff is generally capped.
  5. Iseous Active Member

The magical skill should help, although I know on my warlock even with almost as much magical skill as I could possibly have, his spells get resisted a few times unless the mob gets debuffed properly. As for arcane damage, I believe you need a chanter/bard to help you with that, although Fireshape/Iceshape might help since it converts the damage to Elemental.
  6. Vazi New Member

What are the figures and stats for, "makes harder to resist" Estred? That's essentially what I'm trying to figure out.

Iseous, yeah I am running those spells continuously so that shouldn't be a part of the problem. Basically I am trying to figure out why sometimes I can quite comfortably pull 2.5mil+ dps (i know, I'm far from the best wizard in the game :p) on a single target or even a heavy aoe encounter, and other times struggle to break 1million with the same rotation, due to resists. I guess some of that could be down to group setup, but, that much of a difference seems like its more than just that, to me at least.
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

Debuffs from other classes are the most common. Over-capping your Magical Skills was thought to do so, it was later revealed that after you hit the "cap" which varies by mob level that it instead converts to bonus base damage on a highly diminished scale that I would have to look up.

That is what I mean by everyone is at or over-cap which makes it harder to actually make spells harder to resist. I almost wish we had that system revamped. In that abilities that boost skills (Slashing/Disruption/Ministration/Parry/Defense ecectera) aren't very useful anymore. It's part of why nearly every Fighter stayed in Offense Stance until ToV where they made Defense Stance useful. Usually killing a target sooner trumps taking a little less damage.
  8. Iseous Active Member

Group setup is very important in this game, along with your group's gear and ability to play. So, for instance, a troub/illy can help a lot, along with high VC's or high group DPS so that the mob dies quickly so all you have to do is use your biggest hitters. However, lucky spell doubles could also give you a difference in your parse, especially on big spells like Frozen Rain. How much are you able to do on a dummy? That should give you a good idea of what your minimum single target should be. With good debuffing, you can get like 50%+, and then with buffs and procs you can get even more.
  9. Vazi New Member

It's more about trying to understand what more I can do to lower resists, than see what max dps output is, honestly.What kind of figures should I am for on magical skill for example, and if people have experienced say 1% resist rate compared to 5-10% at a certain amount. Hopefully that makes sense, I'm still half asleep :D

I understand doublecasts can change how much dps i will throw out at any given time based on how lucky I am with that 44 or so percent chance to do that, but it's more of an issue that I'm physically seeing the spells resisted, having to try to recast them over and over, that I would like to negate, or lower further without a perfect group setup. I've never picked a group based on debuffs since I'm not raiding it shouldn't be, and hasn't ever been -that- important. Sure it is beneficial, but shouldn't make or break a group entirely.
  10. Lovestar Active Member

If you're parsing, it would probably help people advise you if you can list what kind of Resist/Miss rates you're seeing, on what spells, and in what zones.

It's just more tangible to respond to than "I get resisted a lot", which can be really subjective (ie, a 1% resist rate feels a lot more noticeable if that 1 in 100 is your E'ci instead of your Ball of Fire :p).
  11. Iseous Active Member

Well, as Estred pointed out, I don't believe higher magical skill helps resists as much. However, there is a purple rune, Rune: Resistibility, that reduces resistibility of spells by 12% that you can put on any armor slot
  12. SacDaddy420 Active Member

Cant believe in almost a week nobody clued you into the fact that Furnace of Ro is a giant, blue ae elemental debuff. Last time i checked IIRC it was ~ 4K. Just got to place it right and at the right time.

You wont find that in the tooltip, but look at the debuff on a target...

You have very few arcane spells that are gonna make much of a difference on a parse.
  13. Iseous Active Member

True, but it only lasts 6 seconds on a 30 reuse, so it won't help getting resisted in the long run. Plus, Wiz has plenty of good Arcane spells that can make up quite a bit of a parse: Thunderclap, Ethernere Chains, Blast of Devastation, Storming Tempest, Mystical Field, Mystical Overflow, and the 2 prestige procs. So a Wiz can definitely gain a lot by other classes debuffing Arcane.
  14. Daray Well-Known Member

Just to clear this bit up. The debuff component on Furnance of Ro actually lasts longer than the duration of FoR.
  15. Droll Active Member

First of... I just wanted to say, You're a jerk for having that artifact.... jerk.

Now that I got that outta my system; Download ACT. Use it. ACTUALLY CHECK HIT RATES AFTER FIGHTS. Give us hard concrete data. What is getting resisted, and how often, on what mob.

Also. go get the dbl cast/skill cloak and belt. Compare parses between the pot/cb and the skill. Compare hit rates, and overall dps. Then decide which set to keep.

ACT is a wonderful tool, and using it smartly (instead of just hammering the /do_file_command hotkey after every fight) will answer every question you ever had about this game.
    Trickykell likes this.
  16. Estred Well-Known Member

This doesn't apply since I am now quickly saying something about Melee Strikes. When you're trying to decide if you need more Accuracy or Strikethrough you really need ACT to find out if you are being Blocked/Parried (Strikethrough needed) or Missing/Dodged (Accuracy Needed).

Given spells can't "Fizzle" anymore I don't know if they can do anything other than Resist. It's been forever since I bothered noticing if a spell can Miss (I don't think it can).
  17. Droll Active Member

A spell "miss" is a flat out resist. And will show up as such on ACT.
  18. Estred Well-Known Member

That was my point. Either your spell is resisted or it's not. ACT isn't going to show anything else. Someone above commented Resist/Miss so I made the comparison.

I would laugh (and curse for my Illy) if they added Spell Fizzling(missing) back into the game.
  19. Droll Active Member

Ahh the good old days (EQ). Train of mobs coming straight at you... cast Gate! Fizzle...