Spell upgrade question

Discussion in 'Conjuror' started by ARCHIVED-Arishkogol, Oct 18, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Arishkogol Guest

First off, I apologize if this is answered in one of the many great guides here, I've read through them and didn't see it, but I could just be blind.

So, most of the time, when I gain a level and I get a new spell it will just replace the old one in my hotbar. But, sometimes it won't. Specifically, I had Aery Hunter (master) and I received Aery Hunter II (apprentice) it said it wasn't replacing it (though, to the best of my EQII reading ability, didn't specify why exactly, thus my posting). I was unsure as to why this was happening, figuring it might think (and be right?) that my level I master was more powerful than lvl II apprentice. In an attempt to answer my own question I went out and bougth the highest level I could, which was lvl II Adept (i'm a newb and broke) and the same thing happens. it says it's not going to overwrite my master one.

Question: Is my Aery Hunter (master) better than my Aery Hunter II (adept)?
    Second question: Is there any way to tell for future issues like this?

I'm sure this is an easy answer and I'm just an unseasoned adventurer, so I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
  2. ARCHIVED-Laiina Guest

Well first off, Aery Hunter in any form is pretty much a waste of space in the spell book or bars, but that does not answer your question. For low level solo nearly always the tank pet, and for higher level everything usually the mage pet.
    It will not usually replace a Master spell with a new Apprentice spell. The reason is that quite often the lower Master is better than the next tier apprentice. As to why it will not replace the old Master with a new Adept is a mystery known only to SOE.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lamprey_02 Guest

Spell replacement seems bugged to me, honestly. Usually, even when I scribe a higher lvl expert of a a certain spell, it won't replace the lower lvl master. For example, I scribed crystal blast VIII (expert) this week and it didn't replace crystal blast VII (master). The expert does more dmg - the master may have a lower resist rate, but for my money more dmg is more important, especially given the already low resist rate with all the aa.
    Basically, use your judgement.
  4. ARCHIVED-Arishkogol Guest

Sweet, thanks for the replies!

And yeah, I'm still at the stage of the game where I can easily tank the group content that I'm doing, so the Aery pet seems to do in the mobs quickest, but I will definitely start pulling out my earth pet when the going gets tougher.

Thanks again for the replies.
  5. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Good question. I'll add this to the FAQ.
    Generally the answer is: The higher level pet is generally better due to the pet's level and because the higher level pets gain spells and CAs the lower pets do not have. However this is not an absolute rule. It also makes a major difference if you're going from one upgrade tier to the one right below it (ie: Master to Expert, or Expert to Adept). If you're going two upgrade tiers (IE Master to Adept, or Expert to Journeyman) the lower level pet is probably better for a little bit.
    It also makes a difference what level difference your pets are versus your target: Remember that lower level pets do not scale up in level once you receive your new pet, and as you fight higher level content, it gets harder and harder for your lower level pets to deal damage.

As for your non-pet spells, you want to compare the old version of the spell with your new version, and see which is better for yourself. At least at lower levels (this is not necessarily true at higher levels), your new spell's Expert will be better that your old spell's Master. However your old Master is generally better than your new Adept. But again it's not an absolute rule.