Fixed Internally South Ro PQ timer still not stable on Varsoon

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Grimjak, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Grimjak Member

This is showing up as "fixed internally" and "resolved" on the forum, but neither appears to be actually true.
    Yesterday (03Mar24), the timer was all over the place.
    I don't know if this is a bug or it's working as intended, but there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the amount of time between PQ zone openings.
    On Sunday the 3nd of Mar, it opened at 8am, 11am, 3pm, 9pm, rolled over to Monday the 4th and unlocked at 1am and 5am - all times Pacific.
    Is the timer 3 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours? Is the code just using a random generator to decide how long between openings? Is it some sort of modified Fibonacci sequence?
    The mobs' levels did seem to be reduced, but without any indication of how long the zone unlock timer is, Daybreak is asking folks to sit for HOURS, idle in the 'weave.
    If the "mystery of what triggers the PQ" is inherent to the camp and nostalgia, fine: say that.
    If it's just a case of whatever chron job has lost its way, then please fix it.
    Either way, a dev making some statement would be appreciated, since the last "fixed, kthxbye" post seemed deceptive at best.
    MikeBob2023 and Koldyn like this.
  2. Grimjak Member

Another day gone by, another 24 hours of unpredictable PQ zone unlocks.
    Still nothing out of the dev team. Didn't close this thread, didn't ban me (which I think is the typical response to criticism of DBG), didn't reply.
    I know the dev team is busy working on new content for live servers. I understand why Varsoon, and really all the TLEs historically, gets so little attention. Why on earth would the bean counters worry about the most populated server in the stable, played exclusively by monthly subscribers, when they do such a good job with advertising the important new content that literally tens of new players start up every month only to be punched in the giblets by the giant learning curve and time sink that the live game presents.
    If the intent is to try to bring back that nostalgic feeling of camping the AC in South Ro, that world doesn't exist anymore. We're so much more connected now then then, so many more cell phones, so much more social media, so many more demands on our time. Having players log in every hour to check to see if the PQ is open or not isn't making ACTUAL PLAYERS on Varsoon feel nostalgic, it's making us angry.

Fix it, or post the intent for the unreliability of the timing.
    MikeBob2023 likes this.
  3. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

The Southern Desert of Ro PQ on Varsoon was experiencing inconsistent activation times on Sunday as development was actively working on the PQ fight (attending to issues relating to its difficulty). But outside of that time, the PQ start times are working as intended. They have a degree of randomness built into their start times. This is not exclusive to Varsoon.

Alongside this response, I will add the 'voice' of your second post is abrasive at best. Your thread was not even posted a full 24 hours when you deemed it necessary to demand a response and use insulting terminologies towards staff. In the future, I recommend toning it down as it will be ill-received.

Thank you.
  4. Grimjak Member

Angeliana, thank you for your response.
    Frustrated was my intended tone. I edged a bit stronger than I would usually have used. My intent was two-fold: to elicit a response and to provide a voice for the scores of players standing at the zoneline in the weave collectively grumbling at another hour gone by and us not knowing if the timing was purposeful, or glitchy.
    TLE servers do often feel like the overlooked kid brother of the live servers. I know the collective dev team is passionate about EQ2 and its continued success.
    Had whoever closed the original post(s), questioning zone spawn times, mentioned that the intent was that there was a "degree of randomness built into their start times," then my frustration (along with many others) would have been tempered with the understanding that the zone timing is working properly.
    EQ2 has a long history of not communicating well with its player base. The current iteration does a *MUCH* better job than we saw in the first 10 years, but it's easy to see lack of information as being ignored.
    MikeBob2023 likes this.
  5. Chrol Developer

The timer for this PQ's start time is random, and has been since this version's inception 5 years ago. As this is not a bug, there is nothing to fix.
  6. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

So then why is it actually consistently every 3 hours on the live servers? There is *NO* randomness there. You can set your watch to it starting every 3 hours at Midnight, 3, 6, 9, Noon, 3 , 6, 9, Midnight PST.
    MikeBob2023 likes this.
  7. MikeBob2023 Active Member

On the Maj'Dul server the "Camping the AC!" public quest has been starting precisely at 3, 6, 9, and 12 on the clock (East and West coast times) since the Chronoportal Phenomenon event began on Friday (as indicated in the post above).

There has been *no* randomness in these start times whatsoever.

The PQ's themselves run (back to back) for one hour, and I have ten characters that have already completed it a combined total of 150+ times (thus far), as up to 10 completions are possible within that hour.

I repeat: these public quest start times have not been randomized on Maj'Dul.
  8. Arandar Well-Known Member

Are you sure this is the case? The PQ on Varsoon hasn't been available since 4pm PST today, as far as I know (so it's been over 5 hours at this point). The PQ on Antonia Bayle seems to start like clockwork every three hours.
    MikeBob2023 likes this.
  9. DENSER Well-Known Member

Watch out live people, hopefully they'll want to make an effort and change this to varsoon soon. And you will in turn be cursed by Bristlebane, god of games, of chance ;)
  10. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

The devs added an achievement tied to progression towards an upgrade of an item that is only available through the game's holiday events. Players need to run the PQ 15 times per toon to unlock the plume upgrades, and the event only lasts two weeks-- given how people have to work and have lives outside of the game, that is still an extremely small window that requires an exhausting amount of dedication.

Putting RNG as a factor back to the live servers will cause players to complain even more. They know it will cause a backlash. The PQs are crammed so full with 150+ players as it is, that I'm willing to bet the servers would actually crash if an RNG element is put in. The moment someone says "THE PQ IS UP", everyone and their grandmother squeezes into a zone that was not intended for 300 people.
    MikeBob2023 likes this.
  11. DENSER Well-Known Member

It was a joke, I would like it to be every 3 hours on tle, because frankly, this random side is excessive .
    I understand well that their contents are based on such poor mechanic.
    For what reasons? I don't know, there's nothing enjoyable about doing them (devs I invite you to complete this achiev on varsoon, and see how boring it is )
    Help us.
    MikeBob2023 likes this.
  12. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

Indeed, on Live the PQ pops every 3 hours ON the hour. This is awesome, and much appreciated! (and I really really hope this is how it it meant to be, and how it will stay)

I guess the real question is, why is it not like this on TLE?
  13. Chrol Developer

It appears when we (probably me) set this PQ's respawn timer to a set duration for the final week of some past Chronoportal Live Event, we (definitely me) never reset the flag for subsequent Chronoportal Live Events.

Not going to clear that flag and ruin the fun for everyone else so it's been set on Varsoon. Now, the PQ should no longer respawn at random times there.
    Grimjak and Cusashorn like this.
  14. DENSER Well-Known Member

That's a good news.
    Thanks you.
  15. Arandar Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking into it. I know all too well the situation where you think you're sure you know how things should work, but users are telling you they're seeing something different, and you have to go spelunking to figure out what's going on.

The upside is that something which is more deterministic makes it a lot easier to see when things have gone sideways, rather than "is it a bug or is it the random number generator"?
  16. Grimjak Member

Thank you for looking into it, Chrol.