Sorcerer + Merc > summoner? for endgame solo?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Eq2 wife, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Eq2 wife New Member

Old vet returning hear, getting ready to play again with the husband. Last Xpack I saw was EoF!:oops:

To me, the benefit of playing the summoners and not a pure dps caster (sorcerers) is having that much greater ability to solo. And I am NOT talking about solo leveling.

I have not seen end game with all these new expansions I missed. But it seems as though anything that is worth soloing can just be done much quicker using a sorcerer and mercenary? (I have all of AOD by the by.)

Is that really the case these days? Or are necros and conjurors still required if a mage archetype wishes to solo meaningful content? Such as names for drops and the sort?

I hear a lot about these advanced solo zones? Again could a non raid geared sorcerer with a merc solo one of these places with just quest/dungeon gear? or is this where a summoner would be needed?
    Because honestly if summoners are more of a flavor thing these days, and less of a niche soloer. I might as well go with my ideal casting type, the wizard.

So the short of it is, I am stuck between necro and wizard. Love them both, but cant decide because I dont know the answers to the questions stated above. so please leave me your 2 cents! and thanks
  2. Regolas Well-Known Member

Summoners offer some utility that sorcerers don't. Such as stoneskins (magician) and power/reses (necro).

A sorcerer with a merc will solo fine. A summoner and a merc will just have "two" pets.

Advanced solos are designed for all classes to solo when they have good gear, or duo or molo (use a merc) with lesser gear.
  3. Beee Well-Known Member

Soloing the old lv 90 raid zones (Palace / Lab / Toxxulia / X2 Tower) with a healer merc - eg. Perrin (Elite Fury) is quite easy and fun.
    Benefit of a summoner is the aggro split to more than one target.

I have not tried the advanced solo zones on Beta, but regular solo zones are easy going at coming lv 100
  4. Darkon Well-Known Member

All classes can solo the adv solo zones. If you prefer wizard, go wizard!

Mercenaries are a great addition and will complement the wizard quite nicely.
  5. Lare Active Member

Advance Solo Zones are not that hard atm, New expansion might change things to start. But when I came back to play on my loc a few months into ToV my gear was a few expansions old it was just a matter of doing the quest lines and I never looked back.

By the time I was in potent gear the Merc was never needed, once your in raid gear its was funny to one shot some of the named i and it became very easy. There is no need to go down the better soloing classes like the necro or conjy to play the game the solo zones are just not that hard.

Its better to play a class you enjoy!
  6. Kalika Well-Known Member

Necro ran the solo instances with oldfashioned stamper before they got nerfed, that is when macro pushers (wizzie, warlocks) in high end raid gear cried about failing to complete them with elite mercenaries ;-)

But ... i tried a wizzie on the beta, and it seems more interesting to play and it has much more dps potential, also you can really get high mitigation ...

Necro was fun when we could solo heroic with the tank pet, but they destroyed us by letting rot the tank pet, indeed they more or less left half of the game rotting ;-(