Some questions...

Discussion in 'General Fighter Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Boomshizzle, Sep 20, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Boomshizzle Guest

Which tank would you consider to be the best in the game and why ?
    Im looking to roll a tank class and have NO IDEA which one is good or the differences between all of them.
    Thanks

P.S. hopefully you guys dont argue and try to kill each other !
  2. ARCHIVED-Landiin Guest

Either of the crusaders ( I prefer the pally lore) would be considered that spot. Next would be Zerker then guard then either of the brawlers. It all depends on how hard and skilled you want to work at it. Crusaders take no skill to play and just about any one can be a super take while playing them. Zerkers have to work a little harder and the rest have to be a very skilled and knowledgeable players to be good at tanking with them classes, more so brawlers then guards.
  3. ARCHIVED-Harowen Guest

Guardian is still last on the list except for MT raiding. Then you might get enough support in-group and from guild to surpass brawlers. The recent round of changes to them did very little for large pull aggro control that is such a part of heroic grouping. I would give best in game currently to either berserker or shadow knight, and leaning towards berserker with the recent changes to allow flurry and aoe attack with the off-hand. Both brawlers can be very beastly, but require much more care/work in gear selection and fine tuning.
  4. ARCHIVED-Boomshizzle Guest

What about Paladins ? Are they viable at all ? Are they even considered a tanking class ?
  5. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

Paladins can tank just fine, but since you asked for the best tank the answer is shadowknight because of solo ability, pvp beastness which helps them get pvp gear which is pretty ****, dps, and survivability.
  6. ARCHIVED-Herme Guest

I have 90 monk, guard and pally. Pally by far is the easiest to tank with, tons of ae abilities, group dps increasing capabilities, aggro/hate management and really one built-in "oh crap" button with another one speccable with AA. My pally hits 19-20k dps parses on 2 min+ ae encounters.

Monk has one built in self save, great dps, great single target aggro management and so-so ae hate management now with the new changes to crane twirl. My monk hits 16-24k dps on 2 min+ ae encounters depending on group and buffs.

My guard can survive a direc hit from 1 mob more easily than any other tank with a ton of "oh crap" abilities. But with similar gear to the above 2 he does maybe 10k dps max. Yes he has moderate, improved moderate, and every DPS AA I can get with 228 AA, but aggro still get's away if there's more than 1 heavy hitter in the group. However, I have tanked all instances except for rescue and erudin palace with him, it's just much more difficult.

General feel, the paladin is easy-mode, monk is fun, and guard only comes out if there's a single boss that's handing it to either my pally or monk, hasn't happened in 8 months. If you want my experience level, I've been tanking for 5 years, 5 years experience on the monk, 3.5 on the guard and 9 months on the paladin and no serious raiding done. I'm single group/solo only.

My personal advice would be to roll in this order zerker, shadowknight, paladin, bruiser, monk, guard. SK's have phenominal hate gain. All I'll say about them.
  7. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

Strayslayer@Butcherblock wrote:
    Things seem better since the recent changes with should the burden I was able to hold aggro on my guard with 2 heavy hitters in a group yesterday - assassin and wizard. There was a lower level coercer but no bard.
    I still can't do the massive pulls that I can on my SK, and it is harder work, but now it seems just about right for group tanking on the guard - not too easy not too hard. Pickup raid tanking without a stacked MT group was a different matter.
  8. ARCHIVED-Wandidar Guest

So between the Paladin and SK?
    PvE wise - which one for tanking / soloing?
    PvP wise - which one
    Thanks in advance!
  9. ARCHIVED-Draylore Guest

Wandidar wrote:
    So doubt SK for both.
  10. ARCHIVED-Wandidar Guest

Awesome thanks - I like Freeport better than Qeynos anyway... so this works!