Some help needed for my Monk.

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by That guy., Sep 23, 2014.

1. That guy. Well-Known Member

I predominantly solo ( I'll group while questing if someone asks for help of course, but I'm mainly a loner ), I don't raid or PvP at all.

Now, as I understand it, Monks are mainly a tanking class? So should I be tank speccing even for solo?

For weapons, should I always be using dual-wield fist weapons like claws and such or does it matter if I use whatever is available ( 2h staffs, etc. )? What stats should I be focusing on as far as armor/adorns/etc?

And finally, I've been using the pre-made SOE "solo" AA build as I can't seem to find any fairly recent ( like newer than 2012 ) AA builds online for anything outside of raiding/pvp. Is the SOE pre-made viable for what I need, or is there a good build somewhere that could be recommended?

I know you guys have probably answered this stuff a million times, so if you just want to post links to existing threads that might help, that's fine as well.

Thanks. :)
  2. Silzin Active Member

First i need to know what level and how much AA do you have atm.

some general AA that i would recommend starting with at any lvl for Soloing...
    Brawler tree
    1st Crane Twirl, and Mantis Bolt 10 points, this will help with DPS.
    2nd If you can not get your Reuse up to 100%, u need the Reuse in the Brawler and Heroic trees. 10 in Baton Flurry and Ambidexterity, and Lightning Reflexes.

After these 50 points... most of it is Flavor. Brawlers Tensity can be nice for the heal % but its duration makes it very limited for solo use.

the only thing that would heal survive in the Monk tree for Solo is the % bust to Mend.

for Shadow, make sure you take aversion, and at least 1 point in Focused Followup.

Heroic Tree, If you are taking Brawlers Tensity dump 10 ore point in it here. Also Combat Mastery is your best friend here, Time if right and its nice, also grouping Bards will love you for it.... Tag Team is nice all around, the avoid helps and the % heal is nice when you need it.

If you build you AA beyond this point then i would recommend looking over my (Silzin) DPS Spec and also the MixedTanking spec.

i solo with my DPS spec... i do NOT tank with it.... with the MixedTanking spec i take most all Heroic zones and a lot of Raid mobs also.

Note: I probably have better gear then you at 95 so that will make a large difference. If you have more specific AA questions i can help or there are others here that can and probable will help also.
  3. That guy. Well-Known Member

This is my character: http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/446679932261

I'm level 36 andI have 224 AA right now. I only have up to AoD, so I don't have any of the CoE/ToV AA.

Right now I'm using an AA spec that was PM'd to me. I'm going to try yours as well, as the current one doesn't have any heroic abilities specced.

When talking about "reuse", that's the ability cooldown speed, right?
  4. Silzin Active Member

Ability reuse effects the time that all abilities take to come back up after being used.... so yes. the Cap for Reuse over all is 100% that reduces the base reuse of the ability by 50%.

soloing at low level is mostly easy with that much AA and decent gear. just remember that if you are tanking for people that are mentoring down to you they will do a lot more dps then you. Also Hostility is a nice AA in the Heroic tree for agro if you need it (I do not use it that much, but that's gear)

Edit: also weapons, get the best weapon that you can get. when calculating, dual wielding the Damage rating of each of the weapons gets divided by... i think 33% less. the weapon is 33% slower then stated since you are using 2....
  5. That guy. Well-Known Member

Wow, I've been figuring damage all wrong then this whole time. I've been going by the stated stats. :p

Thank you Silzin, you've been very helpful.