SoA, do you use it?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-xandez, Aug 24, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-xandez Guest

Honestly, i cant remember the last time i have used it. Granted, i solo quite a lot, but... Its completely useless in solo play and i really can't find any good use it in normal grouping situations... How about raids or sumthing?

++Xan
  2. ARCHIVED-Tarryn Guest

I just keep it on one of my hotbars for sentimental reasons. :(
  3. ARCHIVED-xandez Guest

Exactly, its in mine for that reason alone :(

++Xan
  4. ARCHIVED-Vaiko Guest

I actually use it. There are some special situations in raids where the type of damage is restricted or other restrictions apply which prevent most of the raid members doing their normal damage. These fights normally take much longer than the common quick kills. In these situations, I use regularly SoA because it’s not consuming loots of power, is long range and keeps my CPS low.
    If the people are still able to debuff the mob, 800 DPS are possible with SoA und the ranged combat arts in between.

I think it’s not necessary to kill the mobs in this way. There may be other strategies, which would kill the mob as well. But this one is quite simple and gives results.

I don’t use SoA in group situations. Fights are to short and when I’m able to move freely I’m far better with my standard ranged / short range CAs.

I don’t solo, I think it’s no fun.
  5. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

I use it when I need to let the dogs out, refresh my drink, etc. I have the M1 version, so it doesn't cost me much DPS. I rarely use it for this purpose, but it's nice to have just in case.
  6. ARCHIVED-NovacaineExpress Guest

I use it on trash mobs during raids and put tin arrows in my quiver (since it still goes for CA damage not auto attack). Tin arrows cost 1cp so this helps a ton in minimalizing my higher tier arrow consumption.
  7. ARCHIVED-n8cavy Guest

I've used when I dual boxed a raid zone and my main being the MT. I keep em on auto follow on another ranger and when the aggro sets in I use SOA at first and if mob goes well focus aim with every attack he can bring out. Only thing I pay attention to is where I activate SOA if the other ranger was too close then an AE rocks me LOL. ( I have 2nd keyboard attacks set to num lock 1-9 etc...)
  8. ARCHIVED-BSbongo Guest

i know i dont use it. i'm only 53 so i dont even have it.
  9. ARCHIVED-Demlar Guest

Not at all. I can't think of a situation when Stream would be more beneficial than triggering Amazing Reflexes for max haste and Killing Instinct and just letting that go. Sure, I won't fire arrows as fast but they will hit a lot harder and those buffs last longer.
  10. ARCHIVED-Dirtgirl Guest

Only on mobs that are going to stun or stifle me....and especially fear.
    God bless the AoE caller.
  11. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

If im low on power and dont have any other haste than my own (I use mental breach poisons 100% of the time)

If I am fighting the corslander - I will throw my birdie in, and use SoA (as well as jumping in and using mortal reminder) till the birds dead..

Other than that - not really.
  12. ARCHIVED-Jayad Guest

I use it when I need to do some guild chat. It's like a "pause" button.
  13. ARCHIVED-USAFJeeper Guest

When I need a 30 second AFK.
  14. ARCHIVED-Saihung23 Guest

Just to reiterate what others have said...
    I have it on my hotbar...I dont know why...
    I never use it solo...
    I never use it in groups....
    I didnt have it the last time I raided (yep...its been that long)
    Stream of Arrows stinks as it is.
    Most useless... Skill... Ever. Heck...at least bounty gives you some chump change to dole out to your newbie alts.
  15. ARCHIVED-Gerdos Guest

I use it against mobs that fear. It locks you in place and allows you to continue attacking while everyone else is running around feared. You just need to anticipate the timings.
    I also use it when i need to inspect other targets. Kick it in, and your locked onto the target for 30sec's, and can then freely switch to other targets (players or mobs) safely while continueing attacking on the original target. Good to check up on players to see who's targetting who.
    Just remember, you can deactivate it at anytime.
  16. ARCHIVED-TerriBlades Guest

I only use it for 2 reasons, and both have been listed. I used it against mobs that Fear, and I'll use it on long fights after switching to a mental breech when Im low on power. Other then those two reasons, this CA is a joke. Works wonders with that silly lil gnome too.
  17. ARCHIVED-TimidMouse Guest

Why do you say that SoA is useless? I use it all the time; usually I cycle all my attacks and when I am waiting for them to recharge I hit SoA... am I missing something?
  18. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

It does less DPS then your auto attack :) You actually loose damage by using it. The only time I ever use it is against Fear mobs like others have mentioned. And I click it off as soon as the fear ends and go back to normal auto attack and CA's. It's only real use these days is as an anti fear gimmick.
  19. ARCHIVED-TimidMouse Guest

ah darn it! and i wasted a loam on it too sigh, if i had known i could have saved myself a plat :(
  20. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

To be honest it might still be useful for you if your'e still in your 50's. I along with most others here are posting looking at this skill from the point of view of being 70 or in the 60's. But once you hit 60 and can start using T7 adamantine arrows the analysis of your DPS going down is definitely accurate. I never compared it to damage done using T6 ammo.