Shades of Drinal: Puzzle Pieces

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Kristabella, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kristabella Well-Known Member

Wurmbone Crag:

I can't for the life of me get past Merglok the Slasher. I get that he gets rooted when he does his spinning thing, and I back out, then go back in when he is done. For some reason after the 2nd time at 60%, when he is done spinning and I go back in, I get whacked with a huge AOE, that does over 42K damage, with no emote, no warning... I am on my 11th try at this guy. I have reset the instance twice now. I use an Inquisitor Merc, and I hot keyed his back off button. I do not even have my merc on anything, anyway, I just let him heal and cure me, but still press the button to make him follow me away from Merglok. But then like I said, I go in after teh second time and get one shotted. This is on my Pally. I just did this with my Fury and got thru it just fine, I don't get it.

Any ideas?
  2. Pixiewrath Active Member

I've had that happening to me as well. I am getting tons of damage out of nowhere. Luckily I've managed to survive it but it has been barely and with my heart pumping since the merc tend to die when this happens so I am all by myself.
  3. Estred Well-Known Member

He phantom AE's. Meaning that after he stops spinning he is still AEing you must wait for him to run back at you before you go in. Reposition him in the middle and rejoust when he starts "Slashy Slashy" all over again.
  4. Cearra New Member

As Estred said, wait for him to come at you, rather than your going back in. Fight him on the edge of the platform. When he indicates that he's about to AE, run (or even sprint if you got stunned and had to waste time breaking it) to the opposite edge of the platform and range him until he runs at you. Rinse, repeat every time you get the pre-AE emote, switching sides each time.

Alternately, if you're a class who does decent ranged damage and can root, keep him rooted away from you and just range him. It takes awhile, but it's relatively safe if you reapply root every time it's up. If he breaks root and gets too close, you can re-root and back away onto the ramp to give you sufficient distance from the AE.
  5. Dravun New Member

It's not a "phantom AE" It's a completely separate attack from his spinning thing.

If I'm on the same page as OP, this is an attack called "Bleeding Out", and it hits my 84 Guardian on average between 80,000 and 110,000 of slashing damage. I burn through unyielding will, last man standing, and tower of Stone, and still get hit with this. He casts it once every 30 seconds or so.

If I don't have Stone Skin or Unyielding Will up, this attack kills me every time.
  6. Estred Well-Known Member

Coming back to this indeed Bleeding Out is a separate attack and it hurts... alot. I am still working how to avoid it though I am lucky enough to be able to burn him down quickly. My most recent method is to sneak past him, clear the zone up to the throne then mercpull him. Then kite him around the zone just make sure to say more than 30m away or Bleed Out will wreck you and your merc.

Only thing I have found... and why I don't run WBC anymore Solo aside form Solo bores me (no offense soloer's just my playstyle.)
  7. Krozina New Member

Speaking of this quest, just curious since I've not found any confirmation for sure anywhere else. From what I've read for this particular quest you must do the advanced solo version of the zone and cannot do the heroic, is that correct? I hate doing the advanced solos so when I got to this one, I just stopped working the signature line, but would like to finish it, so wondering if I have to buckle down and do a solo or if the heroic version would work as well.

Is this the only one that requires the advanced solo if that is the case?
  8. dagiffy New Member

I've gone at this mob 20 times today, am now repairing my broken gear for the third time in the GH, and I wish to go on record as saying this zone is NOT solo. I have tried several different strtegies that I've read online, tried a couple different mercs, and the closest I've got this mob to death is 33%. This is utterly ridiculous.
  9. Matik Member

Inquis merc, keep it on passive, do what others have said about waiting for him to come to you after the AoE. Use red consumables, the 30% of max health in damage ones if you have to. Start the pull with one, then use it off cooldown again, combined with verdict you barely have to hurt him.

I had problems too my first time and gave up but once you get it it's easy peasy. Just hope the merc cures you in time not to get instagibbed. If I can do it on a 93 bard so can you.
  10. Grundy New Member

Took 3 times because of the same issue. Just move back and forth on one side of the platform like people have said and remember to tell your Merc to back off!
  11. Sarkoris New Member

Sadly to say this mob is too much of an annoyance for me to bother with the sig line and hence the bulk of the quests of this expansion. I have 20 odd level 92+ toons all on one account. No power leveling, mainly soloed. I completed the sig quest and the associated zone quests along the way 3 times to 95. Since this stupid root change and many many attempts on various toons I just really cannot be bothered. To me the game should be fun. This reminds of the early dragon in VP that was way harder than later mobs purely to block mythical updates. I am mainly disappointed you cannoy skup the sig line and still do the zone quests as it means tedious grinding to level to 95. I'm all for hard but putting a root on a joust mob along with several other detrimentals making making pot curing hit or miss is not hard its just frustrating. For this reason I find myself logging in with my 95's running a few solo instances then logging for more fun passtimes. Call this whinging of you wish, to me this is mob is just a deliberate road block to slow quest progression. Seperate his root from his joust or plain ditch it. Even lessen the aoe damage to make it survivable, but as it stands this is an expansion killer to me. Solo zone should mean solo by most toons in average gear - the average player in other words. Tune for solo - not solo with merc or solo with helper.

Sark.
  12. Rael Member

One thing I have found works well is get the merc so he is standing on the rock before the plank. Tell him to back off and also to stop following you, he will still heal and cure but won't risk getting hit by the aoe. Fight at the other end of the plank until he does the 'slashy' thing and back off, fight again when he runs back at you and back off the same again when he emotes.

I tend to try to keep him as far away from the merc as possible while still staying in heal/cure range (the opposite end of the plank does seem to work very well).
  13. Tetrol Well-Known Member

Playing since 2005, agree totally with this - no fun factor in the Drinal quest series to date, reminds me of going to a dentist - have to go for the end result, but don't want to, and definitely not enjoyable. I must admit, having one drop from something in one of the zones might help - yes - nothing other than consumables so far.