Server Maintenance - February 6, 2020 [Hotfix]

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Feb 5, 2020.

1. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

All EverQuest II Servers will be brought offline on Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 7:00 AM PT (15:00 UTC) for an hotfix. Estimated downtime is expected to last up to 2 hours.

Update notes for this downtime can be found in the Game Update Notes forum once they are available.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  2. Balcerak Well-Known Member

Yay fix to feast!
    Cyrrena likes this.
  3. SynnikuL Active Member

Brought offline for a hotfix??
    Cyrrena likes this.
  4. Argosunited Well-Known Member

Can you please poke Chrol about Curse in AC zones. It was in the patch notes a couple of weeks ago, but it was not fixed.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  5. Bhayar Well-Known Member

You are correct; it appears the traditional use of the term "hotfix" has changed over the years. Far as I'm concerned they can call it what they want as long as they fix the problem, haha.
    Prox, SynnikuL, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  6. Siren Well-Known Member

How unfortunate that the devs have held off reverting crafting mats back to their appropriate level designations.

Darkpaw is not getting off to such a great start here. In fact, they're going downhill from Daybreak if anything. :eek:
    Wulfgyr, Tkia, Rhodris and 2 others like this.
  7. dorotea Well-Known Member

For the benefit of you ...younger ...folks. A hotfix was when changes were made while the computers were still running - while they remained hot. Taking the servers down really makes it a coldfix.
    SynnikuL, Tkia, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  8. Prox Well-Known Member

Never have I seen a place where more people find being insulting as the way to communicate. Is it just how many people view things now? Say whatever I want online, because I am an anonymous name.

Are we truly so petty that we need to nitpick about the term hotfix vs patch.
  9. jaf66 New Member

This was true many moons ago. Now Hotfix is generally used to refer to a small patch that may encompass a number of bug fixes and possibly applied without going through the usual testing flow. So before you go shouting your mouth off at other people I suggest you make sure your information is correct.
    Cyrrena, DreadRoberts and Prox like this.
  10. Breanna Well-Known Member

I don't think people are taught to have manners anymore. They think because they are behind a computer screen it doesn't matter.
    Marae, Cyrrena, SynergyBlaize and 4 others like this.
  11. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I appreciate what you're saying, Prox and I agree with you. That said, let me illustrate an example I used to teach people when we were discussing the importance of being specific even though what you're saying is technically the same thing. I'd ask for two female volunteers from the audience. I'd then tell the group I'm going to say something to one person and essentially the same thing to another, but phrased differently.
    To one: "When I see your face, time stands still."
    To two: "You've got a face that would stop a clock."
    Naturally, the audience would crack up. Even though both phrases describe the same thing, whether you're male or female, you'd rather hear one version of that than the other. Sometimes, accuracy is important and choosing one over the other isn't petty, but might even ensure survival, haha.
    Marae, Pixistik, Cyrrena and 4 others like this.
  12. SynnikuL Active Member

So you're saying Darkpaw probably didn't test this?
  13. Gnomfu Active Member

Hotflix has numerous meanings now

BL3 hotfix is something outside patching the actual game. it loads when you get to the main menu and sits in memory until you close the game.

But usually hotfix means the same thing - something done quickly and outside normal patching that address a specific bug or issue.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  14. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I think the conclusion is fairly straightforward and propose this:
    1. "Regularly scheduled patching" which occurs on Tues (Thursday which usually happens following a Monday holiday as DBG staff isn't in the office)
    2. "Hotfix" can occur any other time of the week as patch is developed and implemented. Doesn't matter whether it's communicated or not and can in fact be applied with servers up or taken down.

Now if we can move on to something that's really important, haha.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  15. jaf66 New Member

Yes and no. Without knowing the structure of the code pushing a tested fix may drag an untested fix. Sometimes I have seen it done intentionally and other times unknowingly. Always a good lesson in the value of automated tests.
    Maybe a good example is the current status of the tradeskill quest givers now offering more variety in the tasks, but one no longer talking on hand in.
    Cyrrena likes this.