SERIOUS Concern - Crafting Stations

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-LaurnaRose Fauldorn, Sep 28, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-LaurnaRose Fauldorn Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    Thank you for stopping by and giving your imput Domino. I know you addressed the "all purpose" station, but what are your thoughts on a carpenter recipe specific station? Im assuming that "all purpose" is indicitive of the "all-in-one" station that has been offered up as a suggestion to be used by all crafting classes.
  2. ARCHIVED-zaneluke Guest

Anobabylon@Befallen wrote:
    I think what you do is actually pretty cool. IMHO, it is a VERY small portion of the crafting community, thus sticking with my ongoing opinion and vision for this game and what happens in the future......suck it up and buy the crafting stations.

These things, honestly are good for when there is nothing left in the game to do. If you honestly do this type of interior decorating on a regualr basis, i think buying your own stations should not be the least bit of a financial burden.

Futhermore, if carpenters went to a single crafting station and made what you do a lil more easy, then what you do is going to be done my more people, thus cutting into your business and profits.

be carefull what you wish for, honestly i think what you desire could actually hurt your special type of carpenter trade.
  3. ARCHIVED-LaurnaRose Fauldorn Guest

zaneluke wrote:
    My issue really is balance. If they were to go the other way and make it where ALL crafting professions required 3 or 4 stations across the scope of their recipes, that would be fine too. I simply feel it is not right for one profession to use 4 stations while the other 8 are single or double stations users.
  4. ARCHIVED-BK613 Guest

Kaisha@Permafrost wrote:
    A recipe that is your ONLY non-rush writ item from 30 to 33. Man, I hate those Halasian bear rugs lol...

As to the matter of the OPs complaint, one should also remember that four stations take up four times the room, whether in your own house or in a client's. Bet it gets quite maddening toward the end of a client's project, when the house is nearly full of furniture, to find room for one station, much less four...
  5. ARCHIVED-Powers Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    Realism is an issue, but it's not the only issue. There's also the issue of fun. It is more fun for me to have a variety of crafting stations to use. My Tailor is stuck on the loom all the time; that's boring. My Carpenter gets to move around a little; that's fun. I love being able to use four different stations depending on what I'm making.

Kaisha@Permafrost wrote:
    Well it didn't used to be. It used to use cloth, cloth padding, and a leather cord. It's not our fault someone screwed up the recipe ingredients in LU24.

Powers &8^]
  6. ARCHIVED-SnoesieQ Guest

7. ARCHIVED-Cadori Seraphim Guest

What REALLY erks me is the fact that people even WANT realism in a.. *stay with me here*......... GAME!

This is a fantasy game, and people want stuff to be like RL? That boggles the mind.. I certainly don't play this game to be reminded of my bills and having to mow my lawn or the nagging parents that I moved away from or or.. you get the jist.. LOL

Anyhow a huge thanks to Domino for posting :) Its really nice to see that you care and take the time out to let us know.
  8. ARCHIVED-EvilIguana966 Guest

Kaisha@Permafrost wrote:
    Yes, but for purely practical reasons. Every year since Trapper Coalbear started his long crusade against these fearsome beasts, they have become more and more scarce. With the bear menace is under control, carpenters were forced to use slightly more exotic materials for their "Bear" rugs.
  9. ARCHIVED-KerowynnKaotic Guest

Sidora@Crushbone wrote:
    Darn it! You just reminded me I need to pay my bills and have the hubby mow the lawn ..
    ---
    Sidora, your sig mezes me .. I see your tush going back and forth and I forget what the heck I was going to say ..
  10. ARCHIVED-Powers Guest

Sidora@Crushbone wrote:
    There's realism in every game. It's a necessary component. Without some modicum of realism, a game would be completely abstract, and probably impossible to play. Even Tetris has some small amount of realism.

No one is demanding a full-on life simulation. No one's even suggesting that. When people talk about "realism" in EQ2, they really mean immersion. Realistic elements help us immerse ourselves into a game, particularly a roleplaying game. Unrealistic elements -- such as using metal and wood to make a rug, or using a sawhorse to make a vase -- reduce immersion.

Immersion is important in roleplaying games, and realism contributes to immersion. Does that make sense?

Powers &8^]
  11. ARCHIVED-zaneluke Guest

Anobabylon@Befallen wrote
    I mean you no offense, honestly . But i have a provisioner,carpenter and an alchemist.

If anything........... the carpenter has an advantage over the other two because of what they can do with thier skill.

All crafting professions have their advantages and drawbacks. Pros and cons.

I hate the word balance in an online RPG. I think people should spend more time having fun with thier choosen profession/class. and people just need to stop comparing themselves to each other, until they have walked in each and every other persons shoes.

I again will go on the record, my carpenter is the most profitable and the easiest of the crafting professions i have done. Why do we need to make it easier?
  12. ARCHIVED-Cadori Seraphim Guest

Powers wrote:
    Of course there is realism in any game.. everything created is based off of what we know.. (the human form or animals as an example) whether it be a game or art or whatever. That isnt my issue.

My erk is when people play these games and then complain that its not realistic enough.. I see such arguments like *well in real like x would have to do this and that in order to achieve this.. Well so what? This isnt real life, this is a game.
    Another one I have seen people complain about are the mounts.. Something about the gnome ones being to small.. and ogre mounts too big. IRL that wouldnt exist.. well no **** it wouldn't because there are no gnomes or ogres irl LOL. It's those people who play this fantasy game that want it MORE like RL that erk me..

I know this is sidetracking a bit here but I just wanted try and make myself a bit more clear.
  13. ARCHIVED-Powers Guest

I apologize if I mistook your point, Sidori. You seemed to be discounting the need for any realism at all. I just wanted to explain why people might call for more realism -- to enhance the immersiveness of the game.

Powers &8^]
  14. ARCHIVED-Raveller Guest

Calthine wrote:
    I guess you live in a magical land where crafting dungeons aren't laggy from all the dipwads shopping at the broker with 15 pets each.
  15. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Raveller wrote:
    Yeah, it's called Norrath. Crafitng zones aren't laggy unless your setup or comp sucks. Not like the bad old days of societies when every Good crafter on Nektulos moved to Wayfarerers.15-+ people in one crafting instance....
  16. ARCHIVED-LaurnaRose Fauldorn Guest

Calthine wrote:
    Okay, Ive pretty much been ignoring this thread since Domino visited and gave a response. However, I have to say, Calthine, you need to take a step back and realize that what may not effect you might effect someone else. Not everyone has an "uber" setup. I have a DECENT setup (ASUS motherboard with an AMD 6400+ 1.8ghz processor, 1gb ram, NVidia Gforce 6600-256mb fx card - far from "SUCK"), and I still get lag.
    The fact of the matter is that though the crafting stations are a "PERC" we get from earning faction, the problem is that a carpenter has 4 times the faction/coin to save up before they're able to get the station PERCs used for the scope of their profession. Im not saying anyone NEEDS in-house stations. However, they are useful and it is a shame that carpenters do not have an equal accessability to the stations used for their profession. Im not saying that having multiple stations to use is a bad thing. And as one poster pointed out, it does make carpenters unique. Im not saying I want everyone to use the same "all-in-one" station. What I am saying is that either everyone should have recipes spread across 4 stations or they should implement a NEW single station that has several features (woodworking table/forge/mannaquin and workbench) built into the graphics for the carpenters. Maybe make this new single station for carpenters only purchasable by carpenters from the city merchant and tradeskill delagate ... not a new world station that would be implemented into the TS instances and city zones. Other crafters could use the station, but only a carpenter could purchase it.
    Honestly, I dont know what the answer is. That was kinda the point of this thread, to get the community talking about it so we could come up with an idea to present to Domino. However, everyone simply kept complaining and taking everything out of context or too literally (throwing the word "need" up in every post .... ) toatally making this thread seem completely unproductive and when Domino visited, no real progress had been made with a proper suggestion of how deal with the issue because the majority couldnt even understand what the issue was to begin with.
  17. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Interestingly enough we have almost identical setups, but I have 1.5GB RAM. Far from uber. And don't ask about my craptop - if I even show it the EQ2 box it BSD's!

I was specifically referring to lag in crafting instances. I lag out in QHarbor and Neriak, just like everyone else, lol.
  18. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Seperate response 'cause the other was a side bar. Domino posted that an all-in-one station wasn't doable at this point (I did like the idea, it sounded like it'd make a great 5th totle TS faction reward or a quest reward.

The rest of the debate is that a lot of people, including some carpenters, don't see the issue as an issue. *shrug*