Seeking advice on leveling alts

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Alchustriel, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Alchustriel New Member

I am looking for some advice. I played EQ2 for years after it was first launched, and got my Conjurer to level 90 before I took some time away. When I returned, I created a new level 85 Heroic Monk, and now have him to level 90 as well. I am soloing everything at this point, and am finding the leveling curve much steeper than I remember, even with potions. While I do want to experience the new content, I have several characters that I would like to level to cap, and was wondering if there is a more efficient means of leveling my alts? Up to know, I have been completing solo quests only, using Mercenaries when needed. Is there a more efficient way to solo level alts? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  2. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I assume these alts are all on one account, so you could not have two or more in at once (called boxing)?
  3. Alchustriel New Member

Unfortunately, they are on one account. Yes.
  4. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Mkay just wanted to clarify. Now are you open to power leveling or dungeon maker dungeons? I ask all this stuff because not everyone likes paying for leveling help, or wants to buy the dungeon maker option.

How do you feel about joining a guild?

Do you like tradeskilling and crafting?

What classes will you be wanting to level, and in any particular order?

What merc(s) do you use?
  5. Alchustriel New Member

Joining a guild, tradeskilling/crafting, dungeon making, are all fine ideas. Not interested in the paying for levels though, as I still want to play the game. Just looking for a way to speed up the process for alts. As for which classes I intend to level, my main is a Conjuror. I would also like to level my Monk, Paladin, and probably one of my healers (Fury or Warden). As for the Mercs, I tend to use Bjorn (Interceptor) or Lady Liae Croae (Swordmaiden).

As for the level, I have been mostly focusing on my Conjuror for now, as the leveling seems a much quicker. But I have no order preference for my alts.

Any advice you might have is appreciated.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  6. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Well joining a gulf really helps, even if it's small. Sometimes small is even better as it allows us to get to know each other!

I would have had a much harder time without my (by most standards) small guild. I am in a guild small enough that trust exists, we all deposit our pony and goblin harvests and we have a communal guild fuel merchant and depot. It allowed me to get 95 crafters/tinkerers/transmuters with much greater ease that going it alone would have. In return I happily cook up nourishing food for those guild characters that aren't provisioners, I craft furniture for us all out of our shared harvests, and I concoct potions too. Other people make armor, make adornments, make arrows, etc. In short by combining resources and sharing talents, life is less expensive and less trying than it might otherwise be.

We also share in helping level. One day someone might mentor down (this gives me a bonus to exp gain) to my character; next day or week, I return the favor. It's all very casual, no one needs a tally sheet. Basically it comes down to what's good for the guild is good for us all. My berserker is ace at going head to head with the queen in Cella, as is one of our shadowknights. So we run those with the person in need of their mythical step there.

So that's my experience with guilds. To me guild=they come first. If I get a great shiny it goes to the guild shiny vault first. If I get a second, then I sell it.

Barring that, over 80, look at Chelsith, Shard of Love (on the Everfrost docks), and Obelisk of Ahkzul in the Moors of Ykesha as ways to run fast little dungeons that are all pretty much spank and tank. Shard of Love titrates to your level, the others are great from 85-95. Look at Skyshrine from 90+, form a group there and run it. You can make serious plat transmuting drops to frozen mama, and from selling status items plus the exp is very generous.

Also look at collections and shiny gathering. Collection turn ins can net super gains in exp/aa. Selling shinies is a fine way to make some spending money, too. Even low level shinies in the Commonlands and Faydark can net 1-5 plat for the rare ones. Nektropos castle also is good for lower level shinies, and the Sinking Sands is full of high price shinies. If you get your crafting up and spec for harvesting trackables, you can make a nice profit.
    Talaen likes this.
  7. Alchustriel New Member

Excellent information. Thanks so much for taking the time to help. I will try some of your suggestions.

By the way, in terms of guilds, do you happen to know any smaller more family style guilds on the Oasis server?

Thanks again.
  8. Talaen Member

Avahlynn is exactly right about guilds :)

I can't speak for Oasis but I'd recommend posting in the Guild Recruitment forum to see if any of them are watching there. You can also take a look at the guild finder tool in game to see guilds that are currently recruiting. The key with those is to look for ones that have recruiters online (and to shop around to find the good ones).
  9. santargria Well-Known Member

Agreed - I joined a small guild on the Freeport server - great bunch of people and very, very helpful!!!

They band together to help get their members up to a decent level, introduce them to things many newbies miss in reading here and there, and help to get them outfitted and so much more...

Also, my suggestion is to concentrate on 1 or 2 chars and get them both maxed since you will get vet bonus' on the others to help get the alts leveled that much quicker.

IF I'm not mistaken, for each level 95 toon in either Trades or adventuring, you get a vet bonus in that for each lower level toon.

Another suggestion that I work on is - bring up a free acct that has alternate toons - in other words, if your main is a fighter, bring up a mage ( depending on the type of merc you have if you have one - if not get one - well worth it). and use a merc healer and 2 box the accts - this will lvl 2 accts at the same time :)

Good luck
  10. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Aye each max level character (Tradeskill or adventurer) gives a 20%xp bonus to that type of character up to a max of 200%. To be clear if, for example, you have 1 max level adventurer and 5 max level crafters you will receive a 20% adventure 100% tradeskill bonus on all your other toons.
  11. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Definitely get your high characters to max level, that will help a lot as others have stated!

For me, once I have a high level I want to level alts fairly quickly, but I don't care about dungeons much, I am HUGE into questing, so I started wondering what I could do to increase questing xp, what I did isn't a HUGE improvement but I do notice a faster leveling speed. However you will have to spend a little bit of money to do this process. Basically just get All Access (I think it has an xp boost right? I forget lol I been on a small break). Then buy the potion from the Marketplace that gives you 280AA. That way you can set the AA slider to 0 and you will then receive 100% xp towards your adventuring level. You will also be a bit OP with that many points at low level so you will kill stuff pretty quickly and have a high survival rate. Mercs also help speed things up.

My idea is probably not a popular one and I only create alts once I get 2k points from being All Access (I don't spend any more money than the sub costs). I don't even know what level your alts are, if they are level 50 with 180AA, then it would be very silly to go with my idea.
  12. petier Active Member

if you are just looking for where to go after lvl80 and want to make it quick go to seb, once the mobs up top are even con or blue go down to the lower area and kill there till they are even or blue cons, then mentor and get them back to orange and kill there till you hit 90. At 90 go to ss and run all over the contested till you have all the quests and all the disco, once you have done that go into the instances and finish up in there. Alternately you can go to chelsich and depending on the class you are mentor down and one shot the mobs for decent exp.