Screwed Up Mage Gear Still Need Attention

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Vicah, Feb 16, 2013.

1. slippery Well-Known Member

Any update on this since mage items in Dreadcutter have no spell skills?
  2. Kander Developer

We're currently working offensive casting skills in with Cobalt Scar/Siren's Grotto, you will start to see a lot more of these stats on mage gear. This change will not be retroactive. We have deemed it better to use it on new items coming, with the hope of making those more desirable.

Expect to see it become standard and have a growth on mage gear going forward on Legendary and up tiers. We will also be adding offensive casting skills to adornments and other places in the future.

On a side note, we have added offensive casting skills to the 2 Pirate King drops as well.
  3. Vicah Member

... but you're still going to somewhat fix in some capacity all the broken existing mage gear that's still inferior to priest gear...right?
    Kraeref likes this.
  4. slippery Well-Known Member

Any chance on changing spell auto hit rate being based on Focus to Disruption instead?
  5. Daray Well-Known Member

I am a little disappointed that it won't be retroactive - at least on CoE raid / avatar itemization. :(
  6. Kraeref Well-Known Member

As Vicah said mage gear right now pretty much inferior to priests. Very disappointing move on devs part not to fix at least coe gear.
  7. Skwor Active Member

Thinking this through it sounds like the new gear will not be significantly different from previous gear with the exception of adding offensive casting skills. Why else would you need to not make this retroactive? Given you intend for these offensive skills to make the new gear desirable then logic dictates the other stats will be insufficient to do so.

Should this actually be the case then this is not just disappointing it will also be unlikely to address the current discrepancies mages are experiencing between other DPS classes. Unless of course you plan to make all the upcoming gear equally ineffective? Which makes me ask, why bother?
  8. slippery Well-Known Member

Mages gain less from gear then every other class in the game right now. Pirate Kings loot shows this really really well.

We've tried spell auto stats, but all people do is reforge them since they are massively overvalued. With the absolutely abysmal auto attack table on this stat, all spell auto attack is useful for is proc'ing thing when not in melee range. It never get properly implemented into the game. It doesn't get buffed by any spells, abilities, or AA's. The itemization for it is completely random and lately is just MIA completely. People don't want it because it does so little that most of the time you'd be better reforging it into anything else at all.

Doublecast. You are so afraid to itemize this stat and I just don't get it all. It's not that powerful. Hell, it almost sucks. Koncept has 27.2% static Doublecast in raid. On a 1.54m parse 260k was added from doublecast. So you figure best case scenario 27% = 16% increase right? 1% = 10k to a parse from a base 1.2m parse? Couldn't be more wrong. There was probably at least 4 time warps in that, getting the most important spells. Time warp alone covered 1/9th of that parse, and again got the most important stuff. So best case scenario you could take about 10% of that and you're left with about every 1% double cast is .5% dps. Except that is for the class that can use it best. Warlocks get especially crapped on by this stat because of Focused Casting, which is already a major pain to use because of timewarp (and the fact that it still for some ungodly reason roots you) meaning the spells you really want to doublecast almost always are anyways. Then classes like both enchanters who rely on spells that can't doublecast (hello reactive damage). Then you compound the fact that doublecasted spells don't get benefit from ability mod and don't proc anything (hello summoners being reliant on proc damage) and suddenly Doublecast is horrendously bad on a point for point basis.

Yet we get 1 doublecast. Really? Flurry is nearly equal to benefit in scouts as mages for doublecast, and that's probably understating it because when you consider things like Time Warp/Focused Casting/Reactives/Proc's Flurry really closes that gap. It's pretty close to 1.5 Flurry = 1 Doublecast. Yet all the Pirate Kings 2 handers have a 5 Flurry proc that is unanswered for mages. Scouts get 3 Flurry per ear/ring while Mages get 1 doublecast, and scouts even get an additional 7 AE Auto on top of that on the ear that has no counterpart. Nevermind the fact that Flurry is actually itemized on the items themselves where mages get a big fat 0. I don't even understand how someone looked at these and said yea, 1 doublecast is definitely equal to 3 flurry and 7 ae auto.

Mages get cast speed and spell reuse, scouts get Flurry and MA. Cast speed effectively has a cap because you don't get it in enough for the terrible conversion to Doublecast to actually mean anything, and spell reuse does have a cap. Even if spell reuse didn't have a cap and had some overcap conversion it would be meaningless because it's a separate stat from Ability Reuse, which just make it confusing when you're capped on reuse for some stuff and not others.

You add 3 ability reuse to the mage items? No one wants that. That's not even kind of what anyone asked for. It's a stat that mages at that level are capped on. What everyone wants is spell reuse to stop being itemized and just itemize ability reuse. That 3 ability reuse never should have been there, the spell reuse stat on the items should have just been changed to ability reuse.

Disruption and Subjugation is great and all, but again it's overrated. Aside from the pretty large amounts needed to actually give meaningful benefit, not everything gains benefit from it and even if they do the benefit is often smaller then you'd think. Some spells just straight don't get any benefit at all from it because they have no damage spread to shrink (hello spells like Flames of Velious the spell chosen for prestige tree enhancement, hello Lifetap, the list there goes on) or because the mechanic never worked properly to begin with and just doesn't increase them (every damage reactive in the game like Hostage). Then it's even worse because the benefit you gain is entirely dependent on the damage range of the stat. The % increase is just from the minimum damage to the maximum damage. If you have a spell that does 10k-11k damage and have enough for a 10% increase, that isn't going to cap you. Oh no, that's going to give you 10.1k-11k damage. Say another class has a spell that is 5k-10k damage? Sorry friend, I know you only got 100 damage, but they get 500 damage.

You want to figure out how to itemize mages? Uncap doublecast and start itemizing it in meaningful amounts. Make it work with spells that give triggers like reactives so that it double the triggers. Change the way the casting skill increase works so that it always does something. Stop itemizing spell reuse and just merge the stat with ability reuse. Give them more int then other classes get of their primary stat.

Edit: Also nevermind the fact that Mages melee too, especially Enchanters who have a whole AA line devoted to melee.

Edit 2: Spell Auto stats shouldn't exist, it should be merged with Melee. Just like Ranged stats where merged with Melee. Then you don't have redundant meaningless stats, and you don't have this train wreck of spell auto stats not included in the game.
    Vinizo, Riktor, Fendaria and 2 others like this.
  9. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Agree with most of that wall of text.

A big part of mage stats is that they don't play off of eachother enough.

Scouts have DPS mod, Multi Attack, Flurry, auto attack mod, Haste, accuracy/strikethrough. On top of all the stats mages have ( or equivalents ) Increasing your haste results in an increase in multi attack effectiveness, etc. Mages don't experience that snowball effect.

I wouldn't say the solution is to give out MORE spell multi attack.. but uncapping it is certainly not a bad idea. It preserves the effectiveness of the stat, not enhances it. Temp buffs shouldn't be LESS effective if you're better geared. What should happen, however, is ability mod being allowed to affect it. That would justify the small quantity given out.

For that to work, you DO need to implement more mage stats. Or give out large quantities of spell stats or whatever for the overcap bonuses. A stat that pushes spells up closer to their maximum damage (with enough of it functioning like Combat Mastery for spells) would be a good stat and a good start.

Further utilizing spell weapon stuff as intended would be a great help as well. Consolidate that **** with melee weapon stats and just adjust the slow integration by gradually raising wand damage manually. Maintaining a second pool of stats is restrictive and pointless.

Or at least prepare meaningful reasons why this wouldn't suffice. I'm all for being better informed.
  10. Plavem Active Member

Spell weapon multi attack is total garabe for any mage but chanters. Putting more on it would be about useless.

Here is an idea, why don't you open up spell double cast to more slots then just shoulders, or put it on more gear that is in the game currently.

Maergoth you come in here and if they implement what you are suggesting the only thing it would be good for it reforging unless you are an enchanter.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

Chanters don't use spell weapon multi-attack either.. most are melee specced and use multi-attack, not the spell weapon stuff
    Kraeref likes this.
  12. slippery Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure by Spell Multi Attack Maergoth means Doublecast
  13. Dinwiz Active Member

well i really don't want my spell weapon auto to do 200k dps , would have rolled a scout if i wanted auto attack dps

with that said no doubt it needs to be upgraded/change somehow to keep up with the scouts ever-growing auto attack

maybe just remove the spell weapon dmg and make it to give some dmg to the next spell you cast after each spell weapon hit (ability mod v2 if you'd like)

or even make all / some spell weapon attack wands have like x% more dmg to one or more spells (something like the old focus stuff..)

or just make it hit harder and higher hit rate

also ill agree its absurd with all the reforging going on , but as chanter i just almost don't have the privileged of gear with multi attack and other melee stats

btw http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/573812349 dafaq is that ?
  14. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Oh.. yeah. I meant to use the "multi" instead of "double" terminology, but not the attack part. That was a mistake.

Good eye.
  15. slippery Well-Known Member

Well, Spell Weapon Auto wasn't a bad thing. It needed to happen to even out the proc's some between Melee/Mages. It doesn't even have to be a huge source of dps, but as long as it's not they can't keep itemizing spell weapon stats (that really shouldn't exist in the first place since it should just be merged with melee) like they are desirable or meaningful.
  16. Plavem Active Member

Well I mean

Scouts have Flurry, Multi Attack, Haste, DPS mod, procs, then AE Multi Attack. Which are all passive buffs with near 100% up time with the exception of procs.

Mages have Double Cast, Procs.... nothing heal... Sure potency and ability mod do play a part, but, it is a shared stat among all classes.

This might be a very broad statement, but it would seem we don't have as many options that get included with our dps.

As someone posted above focus items would be pretty nice.
  17. Loldawg Member

Not only that, but ability reuse as well, which scouts lack but can still get in various forms (wearing mage gear!) or getting buffs like ROA, Jcap, etc. Mages don't really benefit anymore from these buffs, which means their DPS doesn't have the same potential as scouts have right now.

Opening up double cast and itemizing for disruption in a much bigger way is a start.
    Kraeref likes this.
  18. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

I just want to correct this. Skill +100 over the cap does not guarantee a 100% success rate, that is just the maximum benefit you can derive from skills in the tohit formula. When facing higher-level, heroic or epic MOBs, you will always have some chance to miss (or in this case, be resisted).
  19. Vicah Member

So... where's all the new gear with offensive skills at? I've seen like 3 pieces with skills from Cobalt Scar/Siren's Grotto.
  20. Ranga Active Member

I did post about this after GU66 update notes but I guess it was missed amongst the noise of general...:

"From the update notes for GU66...

Weapon Skills and Spell Skills now increase minimum damage up to a cap of 40% at 5475 skill

The old cap used to be 6.5 * lvl i.e. at 95 the skill cap would be 617.5

My BL @ 95 has a skill cap of 698 for crushing so I guess that is affected by adornments. How in the world would you get the weapon skills ups to 5475???"

Comment from a dev to clarify would be appreciated ty...