Sandstone Delta: Eye of the Storm [Solo] - Pri'ki'ori'ki and Wa'la'kra'na

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Berserkerkitten, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

I've been progressing through the signature questline on my paladin, managed to get on with most dungeons and bosses okay, but I just don't understand what I'm supposed to do here. Can anyone explain this boss fight to me?

I clear out the little trash mobs just fine, no problem there. Then I kill the first of the two bosses in order to make the second one vulnerable. I have no idea what to do next. Just stands there in the middle of the dome twirling a stick, summoning the occasional add and after a few moments I drop dead. Not to an attack or anything, it just says "Pri'ki'ori'ki killed you". Yeah, thanks, I noticed.

Is it something I have to debuff or do I have to move someplace in particular or what am I supposed to do with this? I see no other threads about this anywhere, so I'm going to assume I'm just being stupid and missing something painfully obvious. If it helps, I'm eating the fish before I start the fight, doesn't seem to help with this, though. Is there some debuff I have to look out for and remove with a consumable or some spell in my repertoire? Why do I just drop dead after a few seconds and how do I avoid this? Explain it to me like I'm some kind of clueless idiot, who hasn't played this game in years, because that's pretty much what it is.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Cure detriments promptly.

I note that it takes my healer merc forever to get to me for this fight. It can't Shark Jump, apparently, but rather comes overland. You may want to wait until the merc joins you before pulling. Also be prepared to use the various paladin cures and if necessary potion cures.
    Aethos and Berserkerkitten like this.
  3. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

Not having touched this game in ages, I find it difficult to determine what my cures even are. Or how best to identify detriments. They show up as red cross icons with various coloured backgrounds, right?

I'm aware these questions might sound stupid, but if you mostly solo, the game doesn't exactly go out of its way to explain this stuff. o_O I'd love to be able to identify and handle detriments like a competent player, but I don't even know how and where to begin. Searching Google for EQ2 paladin cures only brings up ancient results. Apparently "click to cure" is/was a thing at some point? Feeling a little helpless here.
  4. Benj Well-Known Member

Paladins have a few cures to work with.
    • Castigate = a blue AoE damage spell that also cures the paladin (usually 1-2 detriments in my testing). It does extra damage if it cures, but the damage on this spell is negligible. I only use it for curing, especially for curing traumas. It also has a slow recast, so you'll want to supplement with the following spells or with cure potions.
    • Cure Spells = a single-target cure that works on anyone in raid, including yourself. You have to spec for this one in the Paladin AA tree. It only cures one detriment at a time, but it can't cure traumas or curses. Fast cast and recast.
    • Aura of the Crusader = a self-only cure that can cure any detriment with root, stifle, stun, fear, daze, or lock-target effects. You have to spec for this one in the Shadows AA tree. Doesn't cure anything else, but it can be cast while rooted/stifled/stunned/feared/daze/locked. Reasonably fast recast.
    • Zealous Smite = a green AoE damage spell that also cures the paladin and the paladin's group for 132 levels of hostile. You have to spec for this one in the Heroic AA tree. The low level of cure unfortunately makes it useless for current content, so its not worth the AA points to spec into.
    • Crusader's Judgement = a blue AoE damage spell that also dispels the enemy and cures the paladin and the paladin's group of 135 levels of hostile. The cure seems to work inconsistently, so I wouldn't rely on it. In my experience, it only cures when curing is a bad thing to do (such as script fails). Extremely slow cast and recast.
    Berserkerkitten likes this.
  5. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

Thanks, this is incredibly helpful!

EDIT: I have learned how to spot and cure detriments, boss fight was easy this time around. I appreciate the help!
    Aethos likes this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Detriments look like this: [IMG]
    • The red cross is Trauma, representing physical damage
    • The pink cross is Arcane, representing magical or mental damage
    • The green background cross is Noxious, representing damage from poison or disease
    • The yellow background cross is Elemental, representing damage from things like heat and cold
    Paladins get some spells/combat arts/AAs that, among other effects, can cure detriments:
    [IMG]
    Alchemists make cure potions, and if you are running Overseer missions you probably get cure potions there as well.
    Twyla and Berserkerkitten like this.
  7. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

Can't get any more detailed than that. Wow! Thanks for going through the trouble of explaining it all in so much detail! The game is a lot more fun now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing. Curing is easy enough once you know what to look out for and how to handle it. Just didn't know where to look. Thanks for helping me out. :D
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If you haven't already, take a few minutes and open your Knowledgebook and open the Examine windows for each spell and combat art, and read carefully what they are doing. The more you know about their specific capabilities, the better you will do.

On my paladin, I group the detriment-curing things together so I can get them quick. I have things that taunt grouped together, things that heal grouped together, etc.
    Twyla and Berserkerkitten like this.
  9. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

I've been doing that for a while now, but in a lazier, more primitive way. I basically bunched single target attacks, aoe attacks and heals into their own respective macros, so I can just mash those. It's not the most elegant way to play, but most solo stuff isn't overly complex or demanding, so one gets surprisingly far with this method.

I have since separated things such as cures, stun removal, the pally interrupt and so forth, so I can properly react to mechanics and boss fights, which are a little more challenging and demanding. I should have done this from the beginning, but to be perfectly honest, when you mostly solo, it's rarely ever necessary. Bit of a shame, because it can be fun when you actually have to pay attention to stuff. I've mostly been levelling up via agnostic dungeons, then played the signature lines for the three or four most recent expansions. That stuff was so incredibly simple, it teaches you nothing. For instance, I never really knew how to properly use Castigate until your post, because thus far it had never been necessary. Who knows, maybe I'll actually learn how to play my class properly.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You can probably improve your DPS if you calculate your spell efficiency, and set up your spell cast order from highest efficiency to lowest. You want to include spells, combat arts, AA abilities, and Ascensions. I have an example sheet in my Dropbox.
    Berserkerkitten likes this.
  11. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

12. Aethos Well-Known Member

It's also a good idea to carry cure potions for each detriment type, as they have their own relatively short cooldown timers. They're very cheap to make and shouldn't cost much.
    Berserkerkitten and Sigrdrifa like this.
  13. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been hoarding the overseer cure potions ever since I learned about detriments, so life is considerably less stressful now. Pretty much breezed through the rest of the RoR solo timeline. Going after achievements and ethereals now for prestige AAs and AA upgrades. So much stuff to catch up on!
    Aethos likes this.