Rohan Theer help

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Tackk, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Tackk New Member

I''m trying to catch up on my lore and its seems I'm very unfamiliar with one of the most important characters in the game right now. I know Rohan Theer is a sentinal of balance sent to take out kera, but I'm not sure what a sentinal of balance is. Is that like an avatar of the tribunal? Are there other sentinels of balance? Can one of you lore experts catch me up on the back ground of this guy ? I was not around for the Sentinals fate expansion, but am I correct to presume that this was the introduction of Rohan Theer? Thanks for any help.
  2. Anghammarad Well-Known Member

This comes from the official EQ2 Page.

3. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

*Mary rises and approaches the assembled community. She plants her tongue firmly in her cheek and begins*
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friends, I have diligently sought the true meaning behind Roehn Theer, the god-slayer.

Like you, I have labored to find clues in the information discovered from many sources, and like you I could never fully grasp the entire story.

At last I have found the truth. A truth which has been kept cleverly hidden from our view--until now.

Let us consider for a moment the name Roehn Theer. Any novice can readily discern that 'Theer" is a deliberate mis-spelling of 'three', but what of 'Roehn'?

Roehn is derived from both Irish and Sanskrit origins. In Irish, the name Roehn (Rohan) is a corruption of the earlier Gaelic word, Rowan, which means 'red'.

Likewise, in Sanskrit the word is spelled Rahjahn which in it's variant form is Rajan (from which the word Raj is derived). It's meaning, clearly is that of a leader, or a protector.

At first glance then the name Roehn Theer would translate into "three red-headed leaders or kings".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But wait--there is more!

Red, (from the name Rowan), is also called 'Reeve' which is it's Middle English translation of the earlier French word Reve, which means dream, and as we all know a dream is synonymous with a vision.

Therefore, Roehn Theer is revealed to mean "Three visionary protectors".

Who might these unnamed visionaries and protectors be?

Therein lies the true secret.

We must now do further research on what names may denote protectors or guardians

The Greek word Erasmus, shortened in Latin to Anselm, and from which we derive the name Elmo, carries the meaning of god's protector.

Obviously Someone named Erasmus or Elmo is one of the three visionary protectors which are hidden in the name Roehn Theer.

From the Anglo-Saxon word ceorl (or churl), we also find the definition of strongman or protector. From these words comes the modern English name, Charles.

Thus are two of the visionaries names revealed to us. The third is more difficult.

The word berry is translated into old French from the Latin as Bay (from which the bay, (or laurel) tree is derived). The town of Luarentum, (south of Rome), was known for its laurel trees, and a person from there was of Laurentum and it is the source of the modern word, Lawrence. It is well known that the cherry laurel fruit is a bright red berry that is deadly poisonous to humans.

The third name is now also revealed.

Roehn is not a single entity, but rather three:

Roehn Theer is represented in the form of three visionary protectors whose spirits remain ever-present to protect us. Those visionaries were Lawrence, Charles, and Elmo, from which are derived their better known names: Larry, Curly, and Moe.

Perhaps you may need further proof:

A ward is a symbol of protection. It is also a name; a name derived from the name Haward, (from which the name Howard is derived).

The Gaelic word Min, means fine or smooth, and it's Old Germanic equivalent is Whilhelmina, again meaning protection.

Do you still not see? Larry Fine, Curly Howard, and Moe Howard:

The Stooges!

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, Cointanly!

*Mary steps down from the podium to let the community ponder the enormity of the revelation*
    Spindle likes this.
  4. Tackk New Member

If Roehn Theer is the only seraph of balance what is the purpose of the Tribunal? Does "Theer" being three have anything to do with the Tribunal? Is banishment to the Void really a banishment when there are several mages like Varsoon that could travel to the void and back? When Varsoon was looking for the secrets of immortality, I thought he went to the void to search for something? Possibly he was looking for Anashti Sul as they seem to have similar motives?
  5. Rainmare Well-Known Member

Wow is some of that info on the official page wrong.

Lucan De'lere didn't found freeport. not even close. Freeport was under the Order of Marr, looooooooooooooong before Lucan. in fact, Lucan stole freeport from the Order, and he stole Soulfire off the corpse of the Avatar of War during the Battle of Defiance.

Theer didn't step into defend the Door...we went directly to Theer in the Palace, because we were told he would destroy the world.

we didn't use Inervation on Theer, nor did Kera teach it to us. WE taught it to Kera, and HE used it on Theer.

as to the Tribunal and Theer. Theer is the Balance between the Gods, so to speak, while the Tribunal deals with mortal souls. basically if you get sent to the Tribunal, you'd done something so horrible, that the leaders of your faith/city find it so awful they don't even know what to do to you. so you get sent to the Tribunal for divine justice, as it were. (with of course exception to those that worship them, they get to be jailers/wardens such for Plane of Justice)

Everling went to the void, Varsoon never left it. he became Anashti's right hand. the time we see him is a projection of him int he tomb, and he is desperate to claim our mortal bodies to get out.

Everling managed to leave, but we know his story didn't go so well after either.

the Theer/three thing is a joke :p

Varsoon had immortality, in the form of a grail/cup he always had with him. Varsoon was alive during the Combine. Everling was trying to get to Ethernere, to bring his wife back with him...instead he hit the Void, and left as quickly as he could.

the Shadowmen are from the Void, they found a way out, so to speak. or course it requires them invading/possessing/condemning other worlds to the Void, but eh, it's a temp solution.
  6. Raenius Well-Known Member

I read an article once which got released when EQ2 received the Munzok x4 - within this article there was a conversation versus Munzok and some unknown being within the void, which told Munzok the plan to use Anashti to break from the void into the mortal realm was a success, but she shouldnt be aware of that.

Pretty sure, this unknown being given orders to Munzok was Rhoen Theer at that time.
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

Piling on here.

Rohen Theer could execute gods. The gods couldn't kill him or other gods. The gods banished him to the Void to get rid of him. Theer didn't banish gods to the void.

Freeport was established long before Lucan D'Leer came along. Lucan D'Leer had control over Freeport before he gained Soulfire from the Avatar of War's corpse during the Battle of Defiance. Soulfire was a trophy, not the source of Lucan's power, or immortality. Lucan had already been alive for over 300 years by the time the Battle of Defiance happened. (Battle of Defiance happens sometime just before the Rending since Qeynos received Elven and Dwarven allies by ship, and the allies were helping to rebuild Qeynos when the Rending cut off sea traffic and forced them to settle in Qeynos)
  8. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I was under the impression the Rending happens before the Battle of Defiance. the Rending would have to happen beca
    use it's the result of the Gods pulling back all thier influences on the mortal world, which is what allowed the Ogres to regain thier intellect and reform the Rallosian Empire.

the elves and dwarves there were there were the ones that heeded the dreams that Brell/Tunare ect gave them to say 'get your rears to Qeynos cause your city is about to be destroyed'

I alawasy saw the timeline as Council of Gods - Capture of the Nexus - Gods altering followers to head to Q/FP - Rending/gods pulling thier influences - Battle of Defiance - Shattering
  9. Meirril Well-Known Member

I don't agree with your timeline. The first sign the gods removed their influence from Norrath was when teleportation suddenly ceased. The Avatars were planted by Rallos and Solusek to take over the world in the god's absence. Quellious and Karana left their avatars to counter them. Other avatars took part in the battle in response to the abuse of their worshipers.

EQ2i has a transcription of the Tome of Destiny. The Tome of Destiny puts the events in the order of: Council of Gods - Attack on the Nexus - End of the Curse of Rathe (Awakenings) - Rise of the Rallosian Empire - Battle of Defiance - Rending - Shattering.

I use the Attack on the Nexus as the last event before the gods withdrew their influence because the forces at the Nexus answer directly to Rallos and Solusek, and then teleportation cuts out. Not just for wizards, but druids as well. All teleportation ceases. That indicates whatever magic is behind teleportation is at some fundamental level divine.

The curse of the Rathe ending is more of a long term side effect. It may have ended immediately, but more than likely even if it did, it would take the Ogres a while to realize it. The same for other affected races.

The Rending was a result of long term neglect. Cavern walls didn't suddenly give away in Subtunaria. It took time for the magic sustaining the hollow Norrath to fail. There was probably an attempt to save Subtunaria by its natives which much like the fate of the Elddar Forest only prolonged the inevitable. We'll never know for sure.
  10. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

I thought Kerafyrm in disguise was the one who first suggested enervation to us? So it was his idea, and we were his guinea pigs to make sure it actually worked? Then when we didn't blow up stripping our epics of power, he knew it was safe to use on the Swords of Destiny.

Now I can't find where I read that. It was in the old lore forum...
  11. Rainmare Well-Known Member

the 'Erudite lich' that suggests it to us is Fyrmed Lorak., which is an anagram of Lord Kerafyrm
  12. Spindle Well-Known Member

Priceless humor! Thank you bunches, you noid!
  13. Meirril Well-Known Member

The first one to suggest it to us is Kinloch Skry'mir in Tenebrus Tangle, a Euradite that suggests its a real shame that the power of our epic weapons can be taken from us. Fyrmed Lorak is sitting in Quel'thul near Lama Mukhlisha while we work on the quest.
  14. Rainmare Well-Known Member

if you do the sig line Fyrmed is the first one to suggest it. the guy for Epic Repercussion in TT up there wasn't added until the 'lvl 85' jump so people wouldn't have to do thier epic lines, cause he gives out the 'broken weapon' to let people who never did it get there ER quest done.

That is of course if my memory serves me right.
  15. Meirril Well-Known Member

My memory tells me that every character I have had to got to TT to talk to some euradite that hung out near the spire there to trigger an invisible flag (because that NPC didn't have a quest marker) to start the Fiery Jewel of the Underfoot quest. The euradite was totally unremarkable and the only reason I talked to him was because he suddenly appeared when SF went live.
  16. Flaxen New Member

I like to think of Roehn Theer as an extension of The Tribunal itself. Sort of as a way for them to exact their influence on the world without actually having to be present.
    It's safer that way.
  17. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Um... I don't think he could be an extension of the Tribunal. He was sent by the Nameless to keep the gods in line, which means the Tribunal fall under his jurisdiction, not vice versa.