Returning Warden Questions

Discussion in 'Spells, Abilities, and General Class Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-lancia, Aug 31, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-lancia Guest

I currently have a 51 Human Warden. I really like the class and this is my highest toon. When I originally started playing this toon, I played it as a melee warden with a bunch of STR gear and picked all the STR increases along the way. Has the way dmg is calculated changed now and solely dependent on WIS even if I pick all the melee AAs?
    Also, I feel like I screwed up a bunch of things with this toon so I'm thinking about starting over.
    1) I picked a human for my warden. Although Humans are versatile, I feel there are better suited races to play a warden. I just love the way Dark Elves look but I feel like that is like sticking a square peg into a round hole. Seems like Fae or Wood Elf would be best suited. Would a DE be a really bad idea later in the game?
    2) I didn't really focus on AAs at all and at 51 only have 65AAs. Have I gimped myself by not getting more early? I've read about the lvl/AA rotation to 12/17/22 etc and it makes sense. Another reason I was going to start over.
    3) Should I focus on WIS no matter what if I plan to solo as a melee warden?
    4) I feel like I have been gone for so long that I'm bound to miss something. Is there something I MUST do with a warden (or every toon for that matter) or something I may be missing?
  2. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

STR will not increase your melee damage anymore, priests now use WIS for that. WIS is also used for spells, whereas INT was used before the stat change.
    Re #1: Play whatever race you want. Racials are little bonuses, I don't think any of them are so major as to make one race preferred. With that said, each race was set up for basically 2 prime archetypes, if you pick a race that isn't a priest-type one you might miss a minor buff or two, but again no biggie.
    Re #2: You can always go back and get AA. It's up to you if you really want to re-roll, but you can always use the chronomentor to self-mentor down and clear old zones and old quests for AA.
    Re #3: Not really. The effect of WIS on your dps is a lot less than the effect of other melee oriented stats (crit chance, DA, etc.). In many cases you may be better off wearing something itemized more towards brawlers for DPS as a solo melee warden.
    Re #4: Not really. You should be able to pick up on things as you go along for the most part, and you can always ask questions. The Guk.WWWardens channel is usually pretty good at answering questions.
  3. ARCHIVED-lancia Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    I meant focus on WIS as far as when I pick reward gear. I should favor WIS over STR, AGI, etc for damage right?
    With the chrono - is there some penalty to do that?
    Is there a way to respec by paying?
  4. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

lancia wrote:
    The gear with WIS on it will generally be what you're looking for, yes. The other stats don't meant that much now, especially when it comes to soloing.
    As for chronomentoring -- there's a trivial cost (like 1g and 500 status or something like that) and it also imposes an XP penalty, but IIRC that penalty applies only to combat XP, not to the XP you get from doing quests or killing named mobs.