Returning to game and against my better judgement...

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Earl Kent, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Earl Kent New Member

Going to pick up with my 50 Zerker instead of trying to continue where my other raid char's left off. I've been lurking around the official forums here and also a few other spots on the web and come to terms that I'm going to be relatively disappointed when I hit the level cap and want to raid.It'll be a long uphill battle to convince anyone to give me a spot, unless something changes between now and then.

I'll deal with that, and probably dust off my 80 wiz, when I get there. I'm drawn back to the class by what I remember seeing back before TSO\Raiding VP, not really what the reality is today, but... I just cant shake it. I gotta go for it.If I end up only being able to handle group content, so be it.

My questions:

1) 45 levels, and 272 AA to go, how do you suggest splitting exp? Should I stop and squirrel away a bunch now?
    2) The dreaded DPS question. Assuming I get home from a crap day at work and dont want the responsibility of tanking: for group content, would you take\consider a zerker as a DPS? If I have a second spec that isnt for tanking, but for max dps, what does that look like?

Thanks for reading.
  2. Feldon Well-Known Member

If you have friends/guildmates, it's a lot easier to squirrel away AAs now than later. At level 30-40, I think many folks like to have at least 100 AAs banked away. I had about 150.

If you buy the Chains of Eternity expansion, you get 2 "Ding 280 AAs" tokens for your account which you can use on up to two level 90+ characters. Although as this is your first character back, I might spend some time playing the game and learning your class. Depends if you are raid-bound or just want to see what the game has to offer.
  3. Earl Kent New Member

I quit back when the cap was 80, so either char I pick is going to have some catching up to do. I figured by Jumping back to 50 I'd be able to relearn most things..

Buying the expansion, they...give?... you 280 aa's? That little section there kinda confuses me... So if I level my sk from 80 to 90, and upgrade, boom, free AA?
  4. Earl Kent New Member

Just read the expansion info, they will boost you to 280. So the fewer I have, the more bang I get for my upgrade money, and I have 40 left to get over the course of 5 levels. Is that correct?
  5. Erszebeth Active Member

Your a tank, not a DPS, even if you spec out MAX dps, and gear out for it, you'll be second rate to any real DPS, and any decent utility, thats just life. You can get into groups as a "reckless" fighter and do DPS, but its fairly rare, on AB at any rate it is, I tank exclusively on my zerk, but I have taken brawlers and crusaders in my groups as a "dps" since they have a far greater margin of DPS output then warriors, and can really hold their own.
    Anyways...thats my 2 coppers on it.
    Zerk is an awesome solid beastly tank, if you play right, and spec right, going into it knowing your a tank, not a dps will help, most groups tend to laugh off a "dps zerker" because even at the peak, they're T3 on everything but mass AoE fights.
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

I would add that it's very difficult to either start playing EQ2 or get back into EQ2 after a long absence as a fighter class. People expect you to know your class inside and out, know how to tank, know all the zones by heart, know where to stand and how to pull each encounter.

If you are in an understanding guild who will have the patience to let you play a Zerker as a learning exercise, then great. If you go to open chat, you may have problems. I would recommend anyone who wants to become a fighter start with a scout class. Similar combat style and you get to observe what the tank is doing and learn by example.
  7. Erszebeth Active Member

heres a question, what server are you on, if your looking to be a tank, you may be able to find someone willing to give you a hand on learning the ropes on your server.
  8. Estred Well-Known Member

Indeed, if you are on Guk I can give you some help just send me a tell!
  9. Earl Kent New Member

10. Erszebeth Active Member

I'm not on everfrost, nor do I know anyone who is, but hopefully you can find some decent people, or atleast a good zerk/sk (whichever you choose to play) who is willing to give you a hand and help show you the ropes.
  11. Controlor Member

Sent you a PM about a tank i know on Everfrost who may be willing to help (cant 100% guarantee it though).