Returning players need a duo combo

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Wudek, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Wudek New Member

So me and my brother are resubbing to eq2 after a long time away.

We are intending to duo most of the time (90%+) of the time. Given that we have access to every expansion, we wanted to know a couple of things:

a) What would be the best overall duo that would allow us to group together from 1-95 and then still be possible for us to find raid groups/HC groups?

b) He kind of wants to play an enchanter (illu/coercer) for the mezzing and all that, is mezzing/CC still relevant or has eq2 become more of a dps fest?

c) If he was to pick an enchanter, what combo would you suggest for us?

For me, I really don't care what I play, I've loved healing, tanking and dpsing in the past. Utility is the only thing I'm kinda partial on, so if you suggest a bard/enchanter combo to be super wanted end game, i'd be like ...ehhh

Anyway, thanks for all input
  2. Cynister New Member

SK + Coercer= Bread + Butter. No but seriously, those 2 classes really complement each other. Both of ya grab healer mercs, and start duoing lvl 95 heroic instances! Good times! Welcome back BTW
  3. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Agree - this would be a fun combo. Coercer or Illusionist would guarantee him a raid spot, if he plays well. SK, not so much - you might want to have a bard or healer alt up your sleeve if you want to raid at end-game. (I know, I know..you said 'ehhh'...but there are only so many spots in a raid for an SK).
  4. Plavem Active Member

honestly illy and coecer i can't remember the last time something got mezzed... yeah its useless. Ask anyone illy / coe. are there for mana and buffs thats it nothing more nothing less. Most epic targets can't be mezzed.

If you want to be unstoppable, roll an sk, and a beastlord. They are by far the best 2 classes in the game right now. And from the looks of it sony isn't going to fix anything.

Infact if I were you I would find another game.
  5. Taivr Member

Crowd control has come back somewhat in the last few content updates, but there are still huge swaths of content where CC just flat out doesn't work. Chanters however are still highly valuable for mana recovery and buffs.

If you want something to pair with a chanter that will have a decent chance to get into raids while being able to duo effectively, I would advise pairing an Assassin, Beastlord, or a Swashbuckler with a coercer (sin/ BL are more valued, but swashes can be decent), or wizard/ warlock with an illusionist.
    If you wanted to nearly guarantee getting a raid spot, a bard or healer would be even better, but while they can duo or solo well enough, it can often be slow going.
  6. Cynister New Member

What server Wudek?
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

1a: Any tank + Healer but best for Solo is Monk/Bruiser + Warden/Mystic/Inq for overallds.
    1b: Finding HC-Raid groups as a Monk+Warden may not be easy if you could stand doing Chanter+Bard those are commonly sought after. Wardens are also but most raids use 1-2 at most.

2: Mezzing is useful when things go bad, not as much as it used to be. A good mezzer will save a group though so it is still viable. A lot has degenerated into DPS checks though.

3: If he was an Enchanter it would go by type.
    3A: Illusionists pair well with Warriors/Brawlers or a Mage Class like Conjuror/Wizard
    3B: Coercers pair well with Melee Fighters and Scouts like Brigand/Assassin.
    3C: Personally I would recommend you to try Illy+Guradian with a Healer Mercenary (Inquisitor) this gives you DPS and Survivability. Guardians are quite hard to kill if played right, they can be hard to find Raid Spots for though as they are not an easy tank to play compared to the others.

I hope that helps you figure out what you will do. Bards are annoying to play and many a bard has told me this. If you love tanking and surviving play virtually any tank though Guardians have no self-heals but plenty of DR later on. If you like healing a Warden+Illusionist works well.

TLDR :D.

Coercer + Warrior/Brawler
    Illy + Warden
    Illy + Mystic (darn hard to kill this combo)
    Coercer + Preadator
    Illy + Troubador (you buff each other well)

Just some quick-hit suggestions.
  8. Wudek New Member

AB
  9. Wudek New Member

Thanks for the super detailed post. Much appreciated :D
  10. Snowhaze Active Member

I just came back recently and leveled a Coercer and duoed with my wife who played a Necro, we got to 80 before we even realized there were such things as mercenaries, so honestly, your duo combo probably won't matter, choose what you want to play and just add a couple of mercs with the supporting classes to complement what you don't pick to play.
  11. mague Active Member

I duoed with my Illy for quite while with a warlock. Bigtime fun. Now with mercs even more.
  12. Cynergy Active Member

Nah with with bruiser/inquis or SK/inquis you can pretty much duo even the new heroic zones. Id go bruiser/inquis.
    Not to mention all the raids upto DOV and even trash in some of the SS ones.