Returning Player /w Questions & Saying Hi

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Jesaine, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I started playing EQ2 at launch and even have the collector's edition with the baby dragon. :) LONG mostly irrelevant history aside, I last played in 2016. Hearing that the game is getting a 64 bit engine today really sparked my interest. Well, first, I've got to say I forgot how much there is to do in the game. FAR more content than other MMOs I've played. I've always liked the collections and Legends & Lore (creature mastery) quests in particular.

More than anything, I'd like to also say what a very pleasant surprise the player base has been in Gen Chat. Not one toxic remark the entire time I've been in-game the last few days. That's blown me away after other MMOs that won't get mentioned here. :)

OK, so... Questions time, since after so long I've forgotten 90% of the game.

First, I can't seem to access General Chat, even after re-subscribing. Am I missing a command, or is there a waiting period there for "new" folks?

Second, what's the status of roleplaying in the game? I know Antonia Bayle is an RP server, but I didn't see much activity in general there...

Third, are server transfers at all possible? I started playing long before I got interested in RP at all, and all my characters are on Hall of Fate (probably after at least 1 server merger over the years). It'd be easy enough to delete and move if I didn't have significant time invested in a few, as well as special rewards like that baby dragon which can't be replaced.

Lastly, I found the water wielder robes for sale outside the Concordium tower in Qeynos. I absolutely love the set, but when I googled how to earn Elemental Storm Shreds, it said they're no longer in the game. Is that true?
  2. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Hmmmm... 26 views and almost 2 days later, and not one person could even say "hi". Maybe long term players think the questions are dumb. You'd be amazed what you forget after 7 years though, and with all the new stuff added, finding documentation isn't as easy as it used to be.

I'm starting to remember why I never visited the forums after the migration or change in log-in requirements (whatever it was) WAY back when. I know I was on here for a little while after launch though.

I'm not going to go all toxic here. I left SWTOR because I was tired of the ultra trolls. I will say though that it's funny people would voice concerns in another thread over class nerfing causing lost members and never considering what a difference somebody just being willing to offer a quick "hi" to a new or returning player can make in terms of them wanting to stay or telling friends about the game. ;)
  3. Bludd Well-Known Member

for general, right click chat window and select chat options. is general checked?

for rp, no idea some do rp casually dont know any who do it hard core

server transfer down until further notice it seems

i think elemental storm stuff was from a prelude event to chaos descending or something and you cannot earn that now, event is long gone
    Jesaine likes this.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

Hello.

1. If what Bludd suggested didn't work or if it's already checked, can you see general chat? I'm guessing yes, since you mentioned not seeing any RP there. You should see a message when you log in that shows the chat channels you have joined. Use the slash command followed by the number next to general chat. That should work.

2. RP doesn't happen in general chat. Once you are able to access general chat, say that you are looking for an RP channel. I know there are several, but I don't remember what they are.

3. Paying to transfer servers is currently disabled, but should be coming back soon.

4. Not sure.
    Jesaine likes this.
  5. Celestia Well-Known Member

Hi! I know they already answered your questions, but you said no one said hi :(

Sorry about that - I don't usually end up in this part of the forum. I usually just go to general.

But Welcome Back!
    Jesaine likes this.
  6. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Gen Chat: Yep, it's checked, it shows... I can read it but not seem to access it. :\

RP: I didn't expect to see any in broadcast channels. The only game I've seen do that is DCUO. They have their own little super secret private broadcast channel where ALL RP is expected to take place in. Weird to say the least. Not everything a character says to another is going to be privy to the entire community.

I was more curious about the state of it in general. Most of the guilds on Antonia Bayle that have active recruiting via the guild tab are end game raiders. I wouldn't mind rerolling my characters on AB *if* there's a healthy RP community there. Otherwise, I'd be giving up alot for nothing, even if I could recover most of my lost items via the loyalty merchants.

Server Transfer: Yep, I figured it out. I suppose it has something to do with making sure it's all compatible with the new engine before allowing it again. Either way, at $25 a pop, I'm not sure I'd use it anyway.

Elemental Storm: Bummer. :( I've always felt that if a game leaves a vendor up for old items like that, they should leave the ability to earn the currency for those items as well, or offer them another way. Most of the robes in EQ2 I honestly hate. Open bathrobes with pants is just lazy programming in today's world. Those robes really popped though.

Anyhoo, thanks for the answers. Much appreciated. :)
  7. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Thanks for also chiming in, Dude. :) That's the odd thing with the Gen Chat issue... As I mentioned in my reply to Bludd, I *can* see it, I just can't join the channel for some reason. In most zones I've been in, Gen is 2, and I've tried the /2 and it hasn't let me switch to that channel.

Or is the proper format "/2 message, hit enter" for each message as opposed to actually switching to that channel?
  8. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Thanks Tasnee. :)

I should have been a little more patient on replies also. I just got discouraged after seeing 26 views and nobody saying hi. I'm trying to gauge if I want to re-join EQ2 "full time" or continue to split my time between here and SWTOR, so I was impatient to try to get as good a feel for the community as possible. SWTOR... The thrill is largely gone for me, mainly because of a community that's full of narcissistic trolls and apathetic players. EQ2 seems much better in that regard, and I'm amazed at how much I'd forgotten there is to do here as well.
    tasnee likes this.
  9. Celestia Well-Known Member

It's understandable, I have felt that way too in some threads I have posted. Sometimes there's like one reply and that's it. But in general I think the population here is nice.
    Jesaine likes this.
  10. Jesaine Well-Known Member

OH I'd have to agree. Just 10 minutes on Imperial Fleet or Dromund Kaas listening to general chat in The Old Republic will give anyone a DEEP appreciation of how great the population is here. MMOs in general seem to have become a garbage pit for people who can't remain civil enough to stay on even sites like Reddit or 4Chan. Seeing how civil even the Pride Month debate has been has given me hope for humanity. :D The community here is a rare jewel indeed.
  11. Celestia Well-Known Member

LOL you weren't here the other night then. Or you missed out on the very last part - which is perfectly okay, it got so ugly the devs edited some stuff and locked the thread. However, I find that's not how it usually is around here, unless I'm missing something too.

I think EQ and EQ2 have a good population because the general age group is mature, like 25 and over. I haven't seen many people younger than that, and the one I did see, their parents played with them. Also, the populations are just small enough that no one really bothers to be mean or aggressive in chat. Which helps.
    Jesaine likes this.
  12. Jesaine Well-Known Member

LOL, yeah I decided to leave the thread be after my last post. I was just running in circles there preaching live and let live and trying to remind people that the loudest voices in ANY group never represent the majority. They're sadly just people that the opposing group's loud voices point at to vilify the entire group. I hope some day people will start to see through that manipulation.

Side tangent though. :D Bottom line is no group or person is perfect. This community shines compared to many others though.
    Twyla and tasnee like this.
  13. Svenone Well-Known Member

Server transfers are usually up, but recently there was a major issue and I believe that turning off server transfers was part of their process of dealing with it. I am fairly certain that transfers will be back, eventually.
    The $25 price tag for server transfer is actually relatively reasonable, compared to the $75 it used to cost (in EQ1) about 20 years ago. The $75 one was *just* your character, naked as the day they were born, too - no gear at all! I am more annoyed by Account Transfers, which are completely automated, and cost $50 each! I have multiple accounts and would like to move some characters around, but $50 each is just a bit too pricey on my fixed income.
    Twyla and Jesaine like this.
  14. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Could be a little bit of all of the above (new engine and other drama). Most MMOs only change $10 for a server transfer. At the same time however, there's extra considerations here. Housing in particular is far more complex than most MMOs.

Side note here; I love games like The Old Republic saying decor has to go on "hooks" because it's just too complicated to do anything else. EQ2 did it right, and 6 years before SWTOR even launched, lol
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  15. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Sooooo, a minor update to all of this:

The inability to send messages in general chat just magically cleared up 4 or 5 days ago. /2 or whatever channel it may be at the time just suddenly started working. NO idea if it was a bug that cleared up with server maintenance or if I was temporarily blocked there as a returning player after a 7 year absence. It works though.
    Doobius40504 and Hartsmith like this.
  16. Trebien Member

As far as currency goes, there are merchants that will exchange currency for something else, a different mark or such. I don't know if that applies to the currency you need, but it might be worth looking into. There are some currencies that this wouldn't apply to, since you need faction to gain those. But some holiday/event currencies are exchangeable, I believe.
    Twyla and Jesaine like this.
  17. Fuzion New Member

Hello and welcome! As far as RP goes, I used to RP heavily the last time I played, but haven't had time to participate in it the way I like too in recent years.

Since there weren't many replies on the RP aspect, I did a google search and looks like the Raven Mythic is still operating. While the website doesn't appear that active, there is a discord link under OOC banter. It's been my experience that many RP communities have moved largely to Discord as it gives strong controls so trolls are easy to ferret out.

I hope you have a grand time here! Cheers.
    Jesaine likes this.
  18. Jesaine Well-Known Member

There's actually a decent amount of RP on the server. As you said, they simply choose to organize via Discord to ferret out trolls and coordinate between different RP guilds. :)
  19. Fuzion New Member

That's mind-boggling, especially on a Roleplay tagged server. Bullying RPers has gone down in other gaming communities as it becomes a more acceptable play style in recent years, so I'm surprised to hear that's very much a thing still going on here.

On that note, I'm happy that you found them and hope you're getting your feet on solid ground in the game again. Cheers!
    Twyla likes this.