Returning player - questions on recent content and other things

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by m-cappy, Oct 2, 2013.

1. m-cappy New Member

I'm coming back from a long hiatus - I quit during Faydwer (raiding), came back briefly in Kunark (only made it to 74), and I figured I'd give the game another chance with a heroic character. The changes since then aren't all that intuitive, but I'm starting to figure things out.

I do have my share of questions.

1. Class choice. Are there any particular classes that tend to stay in demand? I always liked my Coercer, but I'm open to try a Druid, Illusionist, Beastlord among others. Honestly, the only classes I don't want to try are Templar, Conjurer, Necro and Paladin.

2. Getting caught up. How difficult is it to become at least Heroic viable? What expansions/features are required?

3. Expanding on that: What steps can I be taking now to have the option of raiding after ToV is released (i.e. quested items, other unlockables from previous expansions)

4. Which servers are the most active, and does it matter? I have characters on Permafrost and Nagafen, but I'm worried that I won't be able to find groups or raid on some of the low pop servers.

Any other recommendations or resources would be much appreciated.
  2. Whitetide Active Member

Assuming no one responds while I'm typing this out...

1. More important than what class is "in demand", is how you play the class you choose. Excel at your class and you will be desired end game. Choose something YOU want to play, after all, you are playing for YOUR enjoyment... not the rest of the server's. That being said, if you like Coercer, go with that. Utility classes are always desired. Also remember that this game is to a point where most people who have been playing for a while have multiple characters at end-game level, so there is plenty of EVERY class(depending on where/when/how you look).

2. To become viable for end game heroics, level up and run end game heroics. Make sure to do the CoV signature line, which will allow you to obtain obols/spirits used for good gear to start raiding with. You will also get loot drops to upgrade in the interim from running the zones to get the obols and spirits. Epic Repercussions is a must do quest line(you can google all of this). If you pre-order the upcoming x-pac ToV, you will get access to CoV along with the rest of the previous xpacs(sans AoD features). The CoV line also ends in a nice class cloak at the end... and if you do the Cobalt Scar signature line you will get a nice class charm.

3. Get your character up to lvl 95/320 aa. Google(or look at eq2flames) at worthwhile AA specs, casting orders, important stats/casting orders, reforging, adorning for your class. Get ACT and start parsing yourself to see how you do, and if changes you make improve your parses. Ask questions. People are generally more than willing to answer. In game, here on the forums, etc. Find a guild that works for you(I know the guild I'm in on AB is recruiting ;) ).

4. I can't speak to this all that much. Many years ago I left Oasis for Antonia Bayle and never looked back. I hear Guk is still somewhat active, but to the best of my knowledge AB is the highest pop. If you want to ensure there are players around, roll your toon on a server that shows red on the character creation screen. Orange at the least... but I still suggest Antonia Bayle.
  3. m-cappy New Member

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like I have some work to do, but at least I have some direction now. I also heard they released a new dropped quest item that lets you skip the epic and go straight to the epic repercussion quest, so that should make things easier.

The reason I ask about classes in demand is because I honestly can't decide between Coercer, Illusionist, Beastlord, Inquisitor, Warden and Mystic. It's always easier to get your foot in the door when you play an underutilized class. Think I'll go with a Coercer if only because I'm somewhat familiar with their spells and pre-Shadows AA abilities.