Returning multi boxer looking for tips

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Scott Adams, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Scott Adams New Member

I played 4 chars up to 90 and stop back when that was the old level cap. (Many years).

I have troub, fury, guardian, conjy at 90 and a beastm swashy, cleric at 50. I like playing content. Not real concerned with raids and don't mind being behind others in the race to the top. Not really interested in the free 95 character boost. The journey is the fun for me, not the destination.

I am recently retired from my day job but working again on my first love writing computer games, so I don't plan to sink a lot of time in EQ2. Just grew bored of GW2 after playing it since it started (when I left eq2)

Currently doing the FTP to see what is fun. I tried out my hydra (4 multi-box) that I used to play on 4 machines. I can get it running ok on a single machine now with 4 monitors but not sure if that is the route I want to take. My chars were parked in the withering lands. I have griffons on all of them.

Looking for suggestions on what might be fun. Either single chars or running my hydra. I am also reaching out to my old guild Vindicators on AB. ( I was the founder of it). I see it is at least still around though guild portal seems to be gone as are the guilds forums there.
    Kawoosh likes this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

What is Hydra?
  3. Meneltel Well-Known Member

You can multibox all you want, but you cant bot at all. Since I don't do either, I cant give any more advice. I am on AB server and our guild is casual and relaxed and we do have at least one or more multi boxer with us, so if you decide you are looking for a relaxed guild, let me know.
  4. Warlyx Active Member

Hydra = multibox ....1 body tons of heads :p (+ Hail hydra!)

i have seen some multibox around and yeah u can , but like Menentel said no bot allowed (like every other mmorpg)
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

Thanks! It almost sounded like a program for unattended play.
  6. ugloopni Active Member

Make sure to add a signature graphic for each of your boxes to your forum sig.
  7. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Had a brief flirtation with 6 machines for 6 characters. Other than that coordination thingie, there were two issues. The first was, it got very very warm. Great in the winter, horrid in the summer.

The second was much more basic, state of mind.

Staying away from the 'you'll be banned using that software' topic. Although it would still be a great money making opportunity for Daybreak Games to buy one of them, take it off the market, vivisect that software to make better auto-banning robots, and sell to players for handsome profit.

I box 2-3 characters, but this should be applicable to your running 4 toons.

o One character, one computer/monitor. Depending on the machine, multiple instances may run smoothly, or jump/lag. And you're either switching between widows, or running multiple smaller windows. You lose immersion with small screens (opinion).

o Get the characters in level sync (obvious). Mentor.

o Pick a lead character (obvious). All other toons on follow. All other toons attacking through the leader. etc.

o Create macros for the other toons

There was a beautiful detailed article/video on macros. I lost the link. o_O

Here are shorter versions:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/creating-macros-a-basic-guide.461740/
    http://eq2wire.com/2009/09/26/getting-mileage-out-of-macros/

Become familiar with Main Menu button > Socials > Macros.
    For the other toons, have a button/macro for "follow", which will be used a lot. Along with a target (leader) and autoattack macro.

'Standardize' your hot bars. Have attacks in one section, buffs in another, etc. When you're switching between characters, you don't want, Leader attack hot bar 1, Toon 2 attack hot bar 10, Toon 3 attack hot bar 3, Toon attack hot bar 7. If similar commands are in similar locations, you'll spend more time playing and less time looking for a button.

Don't let this happen.

Of course, have fun.

/*

Hydra Has an Image Problem
    Scott Adams and Prissetta like this.
  8. Gudum Active Member

I doubt anyone would actually do it, because of the poor performance, but whatever you do DO NOT have a virtual machine running on the computer. There was a bit of a crack-down on that a few years back, and you can get banned.
    Scott Adams likes this.
  9. Scott Adams New Member

I ran my hydra from EQ2 inception up until a few years ago when I switched games. I ran 6 chars in EQ1 before that and 4 in EQ2.

I used one computer and one account for each character and had 4 monitors. I used a program called multiplicity that allowed me to move mouse and keyboard around the monitors as if it were a large desktop. Worked find and I got my chars to 90 with no problem. I don't bot. I multi-box. Strictly legit.

Now I can run 4 instances of the game in windows 10 with no problem. There is a company lavishsoft.com that makes it easier to use multiple vid cards and also of other goodies. Very neat but I developed my own system with in game macros. I don't think I will be going that way.

How do I setup my chars in my sig? Especially using 4 accounts?

Again what do folks recommend for progression for my level 90? Pretend I just have 1 char. I don't do dungeons or raids with the hydra. Just overland content. Do I stay in withering lands? Or is there something else interesting?
  10. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

santargria, Kawoosh and Scott Adams like this.
  11. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

12. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

These two are fun, huge, and under used areas.

Great Divide (86-90)
    Eastern Wastes (90-92)

And these two have many good zones.

Sundered Frontier (78-90)
    Stonebrunt Highlands (85-90)

With the changes/upgrades in gear, the group and raid zones are within reach of solo plus merc.

Or good for a 'Worse Deaths Ever' video compilation.

I tend toward, one machine one character. Because when Something locks up an EQ2 session, it's only one character down, and one machine to restart. You can still pull out a kill being one character+merc down. If you're running with real people, they won't feel totally abandoned.

When running 2 to 6 characters on one computer, when 'vapor lock' occurs everything grinds to a halt; restart/reboot and re-setup all sessions. And all characters dead, mostly.

"Game Over Man!"
    Scott Adams likes this.
  13. Ellimist Active Member

I've just started playing two at once. I use a macro to set the other to follow. But i've been using the steam streaming to run it from the other PC in a window so I can click the macros. Its slow to switch windows as I'm playing on a laptop and desktop.

I only use it for PLing not much else so I only play one of them at a time as the other is just following and collecting XP LOL.

I thought about more and was going to use Synergy to multi box https://symless.com/synergy/ but I don't really get into the whole multi boxing. two was enough for me.
    Scott Adams likes this.
  14. Sennen Well-Known Member

Synergy used to be free... I use Input Director right now. Microsoft has one called Mouse Without Borders
    Scott Adams and santargria like this.
  15. santargria Well-Known Member

I use this as well - for my standards it works fine.

While I would probably really enjoy a Hydra system or some hybrid of it, the setup costs as well as the complexity of it make it less than desirable for me for a game.

i would probably lean more towards 3 puters (2 toons for each box) to 1 large windowed 50"+ monitor
    Scott Adams likes this.
  16. Conifur Well-Known Member

Did you play a Shaman on WoW with the same name?
  17. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Never played WoW ... well 'trialed' it for a few days (almost a decade ago) it did not take.

Picked the moniker because I like the Stargate series. And it's a cool sound.

18. Conifur Well-Known Member

Stargate was great. Did not know that was where it came from. I knew a Shaman with that name a long time back, was just wondering if it was you. Thanks.
  19. Bella222 Active Member

How do you download 2 games installs to one computer with Win 10? I wasn't able to do it. Is there a special way to get and label the 2nd download? I sometimes use 2 computers with 2 monitors and 2 accounts to play 2 characters now but it can get tiring. Since I have 3 accounts I would like to be able to play 2 on one screen. Or maybe even 3. Be my own dungeon group.
    Scott Adams likes this.
  20. santargria Well-Known Member

Why do you need 2 installs?

1 install works - just run the launcher twice and select the 2nd account

Am I missing something?
    Scott Adams likes this.