Returning monk, taking too much damage vs solo enemies???

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Zutan, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Zutan Guest

I recently came back after quite a while away from EQ2 and noticed some trouble with my Monk. I left well before the combat changes that we have now.
    My monk is geared from raids in Faydwer for the most part so should be at least decent for getting started in Odus but I notice I am taking far more damage vs a solo mob (blues and whites) than I did before I left.
    I often end up losing 25% to 50% of my health in a 1 vs 1 fight. My other toons do not have this problem and arent even as well geared as my monk.
    Did something change that made this happen or am I perhaps missing something in AAs that I need to get?
  2. ARCHIVED-Brickfist Guest

Decently geared from faydwer raids is way subpar now (3 expansions and 20levels ago it was good stuff, but that's basically comparing original content stuff to faydwer by the same degree). Compare it to the current mastercrafted stuff and you'll see what I'm talking about. You have alot of catching up gear-wise and it gets alot better after you get caught up. You may also want to solo in defensive for a bit until your gear get caught up. The starting quests in odus should put you in somewhat improved gear over what you currently have, and make sure you run the Jo-Jo hq as soon as possible to get some decent weapons in yer hands for the start of the expansion.
  3. ARCHIVED-Aull Guest

I found that everburning over time will chew through my monks health soloing. If you can ever get a friend to group with you and let them take hits on some trival mobs and back your monk completely out of harms way and see what takes place.
    For me everburning burns to much health while soloing so I just cancel it if it is up.
    If you are ever using everburning. If not disreguard this post.
  4. ARCHIVED-Zutan Guest

Actually I also forgot about stuff I have from Kunark raids/groups etc. So far the gear I've seen from quests at level 80 are not as good as what I already have. I dont have anything from TSO expansion though.

This is what eq2players has for me: http://eq2players.station.sony.com/Guk/Kateel/
  5. ARCHIVED-Zutan Guest

Aull wrote:
    I do use everburning, but even in combat it doesnt drain any health from me. It just slows down the regen a bit. In fact, the first night I was fighting I did not have it enabled since I forgot about it and even then I was taking too much damage.
  6. ARCHIVED-Fwedewick Guest

Looking at your gear I can see there are some major issues. 2 possible solutions are: Find someone to duo the SF quests with and swap gear out for quest rewards as you go or get to lvl 82 and get a set of MC gear made. I would go with the 1st option as its cheaper. You will find that the quest rewards are made to upgrade your armour every few levels so you should catch up fast.
    Weapon wise you need to get your epic. I recommend getting your mythical done if you can manage to get into raids. Although you can bypass the mythical with the new conversion quest it will be a lot easier to do the last bit of the quest (vestigial Cella) if you have your mythical.
    To sum up, your gear is aweful but its not the end of the world as it will take no time to replace it, in the meantime use it as an excuse to meet a new healer friend :)
  7. ARCHIVED-swbles Guest

Zutan wrote:
    As far as a weapon goes your fabled epic will be better than what your wearing. Now you can convert the fabled reward into the Enverted Hand of Serenity & that will get you the effects from our mythical without having to go back & do the RoK raids. @ lvl 82 get the new mastercrafted armor.
  8. ARCHIVED-Zutan Guest

It is unlikely I will be doing anything that requires raids in the future. I am well and truly burned out of that sort of thing. I dont remember what, if any I did for my epic before I quit playing before but I'll look into the one you can do with a group (definitely not interested in raiding for the mythical one.)
  9. ARCHIVED-Zutan Guest

I checked out the 'master crafted' armor for level 82 and I'm not seeing how it is better than what I have. Most of the stats are the same or lower than my current gear and the mitigation is allmost all lower than my current gear.
    Does it being 10-12 levels higher make enough difference to take a hit in stats or is there something else I am missing about this stuff?
  10. ARCHIVED-Silzin Guest

Also, do you have your Myth or the Enervated Epic? the 50% strickthrow with everything else it gives helps a lot on aggro and the survival thing to.
  11. ARCHIVED-Zutan Guest

I dont have the epic (either version) yet. I checked out my quest lists and It appears I never even did the Tynonium trial. I did do all the other pre-reqs though.
    I am up to level 83 now and things are going much better. I have only upgraded my belt and ranged weapon so far, nothing else, including crafted stuff seems to be an upgrade.
  12. ARCHIVED-Zutan Guest

I finally got some new weapons.. the ones from the "JoJo" quest. They are way better than what I have and seem to help a lot for killing things.
    I still havent found any armor upgrades etc though.
  13. ARCHIVED-Darkonx Guest

That 12% potency you are seeing on shoulders will make all of your abilitys hit 12% harder. All the crit bonus will make ALL of your things, including auto attack, hit that much harder on crits. The armor may not LOOK like an upgrade, but it is, it really is. It was designed for the quests that are you going through right now.