Religion/Faith questions

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Canthir, Feb 24, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Canthir Guest

There seems to be not much information about religious pantheons and Imp curious if this is in the works or perhaps players will develop it into their own style of role-play and create mythological beliefs based on what was known after the time of the shattering. I understand the Celestial Watch as a sort of melting pot of religions looking to the heavens for the returning of their gods. What I am eager to see produced is a religion for Paladins, Shadowknghts, and Templars to place devotion. Seeing how the Races have faith in place it does place difficulty on a shared religion for different races of the same class to follow. It almost makes religion unique specifically to race. If Paladins shadow knights Templars and the have divine powers excluded from nature there should be archetypes fitted to those divine powered classes. Since almost half of the races don’t really have a faith but are somewhat turning towards shamanistic faiths as per the descriptions of the races. I see a problem of a human or another race with no distinct faith with an identity loss as far as role-play is concerned for these races playing divine powered characters.

The lore on the Knights of Marr, the Knights of Truth is excellent concepts for a role-playing concept for knights of both cities to pilgrimage to and pay homage to the statues. My question is who did these knights, before the age of turmoil, believe in? If anyone has knowledge on faiths and religions of Norrath please educate me.
  2. ARCHIVED-Arillonahia Guest

(( Just on a personal note, being a shadowknight, I see my faith coming from the God I serve. Just because a ratonga calls himself a 'shadowknight' doesnt make him part of my 'order'. He or she may serve what ever fool gods rats serve. The fact priests and knights have not lost their 'link' to the Gods, which shows they havn't abandoned the races, though after the turmoil of recent times the masses may think so.
    Within each Gods 'servants' you will have your different 'orders' as well as lone warriors acting in their Gods name and seeing themselves as directed by divine intervention at all times. Infact, theres nothing to stop you creating your own faith, if you get enough people to accept your ideas why the hell not? Set yourself up as a 'messaih' or some demi god yourself. Infact, what a good idea, if done well this could open up some interesting possibilites. Are there 'undergods' or 'demi-gods' mentioned anywhere? I am relatively' new to Norrathian lore.....What was the question again? I think i've rambled!))

Tialneques Fyr, Knight of Innoruuk
  3. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

http://eqlive.station.sony.com/library/deities.jsp
    http://eqlive.station.sony.com/library/sub_deities.jsp

Those are the list of deities as we knew in EQL. (Though, I have seen talk of new ones, like the Lasyida (?) quest on the Isle of Refuge).

In that time each race had a few deities it worshiped (exception here is humans, who depening on class had a large range to choose from. Not all deities on the lists above were able to be worshiped by player characters, though it could have been roleplayed as that way. You can still see hints of this in EQ2, like good elves talking about Tunare, dark elves talking of Innrouuk, Erudites speaking of Quellious and so on.
    As the races are mixing together in the cities, beliefs and culture are mixing. So these days you might see a high elven paladin worshiping the ways of Erollisi Marr, while another more traditional high elf paladin is still following Tunare. In that case, it is more up to the player. (You will most likely not, however, see a dark elf shadow knight, or ANY shadow knight, paying homage to Mithanial Marr. It goes against what they stand for, for the most part.)

EQL happened in the age of Turmoil, and knights in that time worshiped a few Gods/Goddesses depending on race (oh, dear, and for humans and half elves, cities played a role as well!). Also note, this is only what the game allowed you to choose for a deity, and what the NPCs of the city followed. It was not impossable to find a PC roleplaying following a different deity.

Human and Half elven paladins of Qeynos could worship either Karana, or Rodcet Nife. The Rodcet worshipers were the priests of life, we still see their temple today. The Knights of Thunder (Karana followers) came into corruption and were eventually officially disbanded within in the city. Human shadow knights of Qeynos were followers of Bertoxxulous in the underground cult of the Bloodsabers. Human (there were no half elf clerics) Clerics of Qeynos could follow either of those three deities.
    Human/ half elven paladins of Freeport were followers of either Mithaniel Marr or Erollisi Marr. Human/half elf shadow knigts were followers of Innrouuk in an underground cult of the Dismal Rage. Lucan (who was around back then..) was working with these guys in secret, so it is no suprise they are still around today. Human clerics of Freeport could follow either.

Half elven paladins who started in Felwithe, city of the high elves, followed Tunare along with the high elven paladins and clerics.

Erudite paladins of Erudin were either Deepwater Knights, who followed Prexus., or they were followers of Quellious (the name of their faction escapes me at the moment.. peacekeepers maybe..?). Erudite Shadow Knights in Paineel were followers of Cazic Thule. Clerics could follow either of those three.

Dark Elven shadow knights and their clerics, as well as most of the race, were followers of Innrouuk.

Froglok paladins and clerics were followers of Mithaniel Marr.

Dwarven paladins and clerics were followers of Brell.

Iksar shadow knights were followers of Cazic Thule.

Halfling clerics and paladins were followers of Karana.

Gnome paladins and clerics were followers of Brell, and also Bristlebane if I remember..? Their shadow knights and clerics followed Bertoxxulous as well.

Here is where I cant remember.. I believe Troll shadow knights were followers of cazic thule or Innrouuk, as well as the Ogres..? Someone will probably know the correct answer to this.

I'll write up a post of the other classes in a few minutes..

Message Edited by Kamimura on 02-24-2005 09:00 AM
  4. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

In my last post I talked about the paladins and clerics of the races which had those classes. In this one i'll cover the other races and classes.. just incase anyone is interested. Doing this from mostly memory though, so if someone sees something is wrong definietly correct it.

I'll start by saying that wizards of any race, except froglok, could be followers of Solusek Ro. Bards had this choice as well, and they were the only two PC classes which had that choice. Only bards had the choice to worship Veeshan. I believe all rogues could follow bristlebane, and all warriors rallos zek (except froglok and dwarf). So if you dont see it on the list they could. Also, that means some deities were more class related.

Barbarian shamans and beast lords were followers of the Tribunal, beast lords could also follow Mithaniel Marr. Rogues and warriors could also be agnostic.

Dark Elves were for the most part followers of Innrouuk.. clerics, shadow knights, and necromancers, as well as any other class having that choice. Also Enchanters, magicians, wizards, rogues, and warriors could be agnostic. Rogue also could follow Bristlebane.

Dwarves were for the most part followers of Brell. Warriors and rogues had the exceptions, their warriors could not follow Zek, though they could be agnostic. Rogues also had the choice of bristlebane.

Erudites were followers of Quellious, Prexus, or Agnostic. Wizards also had solusek Ro for a choice. The heretics of paineel were all followers of Cazic However (shadow knights, clerics, and necromancers).

Frogloks were all followers of Mithaniel Marr, as far as the player race goes.

Gnomes were mostly followers of Brell or Bristlebane. That included clerics, paladins, mages, enchanters, wizards, and warrioirs. They could be agnostic as well, some classes. All shadow knights and necromancers were followers of Bertoxxulous.

Half elves had a range of deities depending on which city they were from. Those in Felwithe or Kelethin (elven cities) were mostly followers of Tunare. In human cities they had many more options. Bards could follow almost any deity.

Halflings were followers of Karana in the case of druids and rangers. Rogues could be agnostic or follow Brell or bristlebane, warriors could be agnostic, follow brell, or Zek.

High elves were mostly followers of Tunare. The casters also had choices of agnostic, Karana, Erollisi Marr, and possable Quellious. I'll have to check that later..

Humans had a large range, depending on class and city. Im not sure of all of them, to be honest. I believe because of the large combo of classes and factions it is possable that if you combine them all you will see followers of each deity possable. The exception to this I think is Cazic Thule though. Im not sure of any class that followed him.

Iksar were all followers of Cazic Thule. I do not believe their warriors could follow Zek, and I also do not think they could choose agnostic for any class. Their society was very much based on Cazic.

Kerra (Vah Shir in EQL) followed no Gods, and instead worshiped the spirits of the land and their ancestors.

Ogre beast lords, and shaman followed Rallos Zek. Warriors were followers of Zek, Cazic, or were Agnostic. Shadow Knights were either followers of Zek or Cazic. Their society was pretty heavy on Rallos Zek however.

Ratonga were not really known in EQL, though EQ2 says they are a creation of Brell and Bristlebane.

Troll beast lords, shadow knights, and shamans would follow either Cazic Thule or Innrouuk. Their warriors could choose between those two deities, as well as Rallos Zek or be agnostic.

Wood elves were mostly followers of Tunare.. druids, bards, warriors, rogues, and rangers. Bards also had the huge choice that any bard would get. Warriors could also follow Zek or be agnostic, rogues could be agnostic or possably follow bristlebane.

Message Edited by Kamimura on 02-24-2005 09:22 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-BLOODkane Guest

I remember my halfling warrior fowllowing Rallos Zek, man I wasnt liked hardly ANYWHERE.
  6. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

Heh, yeah, I played a wood elf warrior of zek at one point. I was going to Kaladim to hand in a few crushbone belts at the end of a day in crushbone. I was dead before I knew what hit me, never made it past the guards at the front of the city. Zek is not a popular man. (Well, unless you are friends with Ogres.. but then they eat wood elves, dont they? :p)
    Message Edited by Kamimura on 02-24-2005 09:39 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-Myrklan Guest

DE warriors could also follow Zek, and Bards of whatever race had the addition of Veeshan the Dragonqueen.
  8. ARCHIVED-troodon311 Guest

Freeport Knights would not be worshipping Marr (the Truthbringer). They prefer their deities to be more..... unscrupulous :smileywink:
  9. ARCHIVED-Myrklan Guest

They are refering to 500 years ago the Freeport Knights followed Mithaniel and Erollisi Marr and were in constant conflict with Lucan and his Militia. They and the Ashen Order all left Freeport before Lucan became fully in charge, and as the only thing that was hindering him, he just moved in and fully took over.
  10. ARCHIVED-Korelen Guest

Human Monks could follow Quellious or Agnostic, and their starting city was either Freeport or Qeynos.

Iksar Monks could only follow Cazic if I recall.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

If a human monk was agnostic they would start in Qeynos, if they followed Quellious they started in Freeport. The Qeynos order is still around, though of course more diverse now. The Freeport monks (The Ashen Order) left Freeport for the deserts of Ro.. which no longer exist.. Wonder what happened to them..

All Iksar could only follow Cazic, and they loved it. :smileytongue:
  12. ARCHIVED-Korelen Guest

Iksar race was fun to play in EQlive. Their faction made going into cities... interesting. And all that faction farming if you wanted to work on your epic. Those were the days.

Edit:

Now that I think about it ( I haven't spent that much time in Qeynos mind you ) that the Silent Fist is still active because it is the only city in which you can have a Monk. ( Yes, I am Captain Obvious :p )

It is quite possible that we will learn more of the Ashen Order from an Adventure or Expansion Pack.
    Message Edited by Korelen on 02-24-2005 04:25 PM