Reduce Lag Majorly In Less Than A Minute!

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Cercsij, Jan 25, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-CacheRAM Guest

Back in the day, Win98 / 95 had the ability to ruun batch files at startup, and one of the things that I had in there was
    del c:\windows\win386.swp /a /y - the Windows swap file for the Win9x line.
    Not sure if there is a way to do batch processing in WinNT environment before the system startts to use the swap file .. anyone?
    Message Edited by CacheRAM on 03-01-200602:05 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-Uumuuanu Guest

What you are looking for is not available in the standard user interface. Since Windows 3.x/95/98 used the swap file as a temporary file you were able to delete it. However doing so in Windows XP/NT/2000/2003 is not a good idea. Windows now reserves a single unterrupted section of the disk as the swapfile you tell it to (or it defaults to if you dont change it) so that it does not have to worry about the file being fragmented which would slow it down. If you want to ~clear~ your swap file you can refer to this page (which I am not claiming responsibility for if you hose your computer)

http://www.iusmentis.com/security/filewiping/wipeswap/
  3. ARCHIVED-CacheRAM Guest

After reading that page, let me also add my warnings to anyone that wants to try this :
    1. The registry is a dangerous place to play. May require you to re-install your whole windows system if you make a mistake.
    2. any time you use a 3rd-party program, you take a chance of hosing Windows, especially utilities like this.
    Good information tho -- thanks, Uumuuanu
  4. ARCHIVED-Rottingham Guest

This actually helps me as well. I run on my Laptop, which is a 1.73Ghz Pentium M (Pent 4 3000) equiv, 128MB Ati X300 Mobility, 1gig ddr2, etc. I usually play balanced or high performance. When I run in windowed and things slow down, I minimize, wait until windows calms down, restore the window and I'm running good.

I have noticed however, that EQII has MAJOR memory leak problems, 100's of MB's worth of memory leaks. One serious issue I have is after about an hour of play my computer is so bogged down that I start skipping, run smooth for 5 seconds and freeze for 1 second, and on and on.

I attribute most of my problems to my video card, but I can play Call of Duty 2 pumped up pretty good and never have a problem. EQII leaks memory and after a time crashes my video card.

Like another poster mentioned, this is a temporary fix at best.
  5. ARCHIVED-Uumuuanu Guest

Actually its not crashing your video card at all, its limiting the Directx heap by leaking enough memory to cause your video drivers interface to Directx to start skipping packets in order to keep going. This is very common in heavy memory things such as video games and video compression. If your system cannot pass the data between memory (or your pagefile in this case) to the Directx heap, then onto your video card fast enough it starts to slow down causing skipped or late frames and ultimately lag or crashing depening on how bad you let it get. Add to this the fact that it is leaking enough memory into textures for most peoples systems to run out of easily accessible ram (probably if you are 1G or under) which means its getting it from your harddrive. This can cause anything from poor frame rates to corrupted video appearance to crashing out and even random restarting.
    Really the only two ways of getting around this are one, having enough memory to avoid paging too much (ie about 2g right now) or two, playing at lower settings (thus reduced texture size) so that your system has adequate memory to allow the game to leak textures and continue to play without running out of memory.
    The easiest way to tell how bad your system is doing is check your task manager in windows mode (right click your task bar and select task manager). If you have UNDER 256m available, you are going to be lagging. If you have a pagefile usage greater then the amount of ram in your system, you are going to be lagging.