Recommeneded Starting Point?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Breidr, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Breidr New Member

I understand this is an old game and there's a long road to catch up, but I wanted to give it a shot and maybe have a little fun.

I was originally planning to subscribe to Planetside 2, but then I found out about All-Access. I said what the heck, and did that instead. I've played Planetside 2 (obviously) and I'm interested in checking out EQ2 and DCUO, and I figured I'd start here.

I was just curious if there was a recommended starting point for newer players. I figure I'll be doing a lot of soloing so it would help for me to keep that in mind. I was a little confused at character creation because I thought the Berserker was melee DPS, but it turns out he's a tank I guess. I think I may try a Ranger later today and see where that get's me, heck, I dunno.
  2. Matik Member

Yeah if you want melee dps look to a scout. Swashbuckler is a good all around dude with debuffs and threat transfer in addition to the damage output. That's if you make it to a high enough level where that stuff actually matters though. If you wanna play a zerk then play a zerk, but yeah at 95 you won't get many invites to dps from people you don't know.

As far as a starting point, I dunno I mean I could give you a roadmap, but it just depends if you want to fly to endgame or just explore the game.

If you mean game info, there is eq2.wikia.com, zam, and eq2flames. Lot to take in though so I would just play first. You're gonna have a ton of questions no matter what.
  3. Moldylocks Member

Wow, starting from scratch. Don't let the depth of the game overwhelm you. Jump in, try a character, and if you enjoy it then keep going. Zerker is melee DPS, specializing in aoe to take down groups of mobs in short order. They are very fun ;) now, they are a tank class as well, and do that role just fine. There are many types of tanks, though, and each has their place. As far as leveling, zerkers are a blast.

I've never rolled a ranger, so I can't comment on that. I hear they are fun as well, but like any class, it's up to the individual to decide.

As for a starting point, Neriak or New Halas are great. Both will offer a series of quests that will take you to level 22ish with a full set of gear as rewards. After that, I'd head to Butcherblock docks to do that chain of quests for a set of better gear.

EQ2i is fantastic for comprehensive info on just about everything. Look up Leveling Timeline and Dungeon Timelime for areas to explore. EQ2Zam is great for info as well, particularly for zone details and quests. You may want to browse EQ2 Traders for crafting information. Tons of amazing information with pics from a highly dedicated crafter. EQ2 Flames..hmm. Can't really recommend it due to it being a very (!!) hostile environment to new people.

If you have more questions, please ask.
    Feara likes this.
  4. Kalderon Well-Known Member

There is so many you can try and no one can ever type everything you may choose, as it is simple way to much :)
    But, that´s why i do like the game for over 8 years (steady!).
    For the first character, choose what ever you have fun with (later on you can run enough other chars to get used to the other classes.).
    Ranger is a fine one, but not that easy to play with (at least if you want the best out of it ^^). There a assisns, nice to play to. But as of it comes to soloplay. I would recommend dirge (if needed healer merc). Dirge, correct speced at alternate achievment, have a steady selfheal as he hits targets and he (depends on gear) does some nice dmg too and groups to love em ^^ (at least on my server ^^)
  5. Reds Member

I have done Neriak and my wife and I did New Halas, both are good, but I liked Neriak a little better.
    But that is a personal choice.

Which server are you on?

If you got All Access do you then also have the AoD exp? If so you might want to look at the beastlord as a melee dps.
  6. flameweaver Well-Known Member

There is nothing to stop you doing most of the quests in all 4 starter areas, Neriak and New Halas (where the game seem to want to force you to start) but also Gorowyn and Kelethin, If you good aligned, leave Neriak until last when you some levels and AA's under you belt as you'll need to deal with some aggrovating L21^ guards. Doing all 4 will net you decent xp and AA's (especially if your account will allow you to level lock), get you some decent gear and a bunch of stuff that you can sell (or transmute - this is a good way to break out of the getting transmuting started box) and provide you with 4 basic mounts.
    100 AA's by level 20 is easily achievable.
  7. Liral Active Member

To me it's a clear cut on which areas are the best starter areas of the starting cities. I'd go with Neriak or New Halas first, then Kelethin and lastly Gorowyn.

Halas is the newest and is quite nice though Neriak recently got a very nice makeover as well. Halas is the easier of the cities (at least until you do the portal quest for Neriak) to get around in. Both are great starting areas. Kelethin is decent. i just prefer the look, feel and questine sof the other two more. I generally stay away from Gorowyn cause I don't like the city layout at all. Good quests but getting from area to area for them isn't quite as easily done or clear as the others.

As for what type of toon to play, give a multitude a try. Melee dps is the scouts to be sure but you also mentioned a ranged dps like a ranger. Just try a bunch of classes and see what ya like. Welcome to the game.
  8. crazyeyes321 Active Member

First time playing, you probably want to explore a bit. I would recommend you go brawler class (monk/bruiser). While these classes do not put out assassin/ranger dps levels, the class is tanky and dps's(especially when ya get some gear and reckless stance) well. Furthermore, you get the ability to feign death should the crap hit the fan. Very helpful for exploring all that the game has to offer.
  9. Sclerotia Member

I am still new to the game and have started characters in each of the areas.
    My findings are as follows in no particular order.

Kelethin (Greater Faydar)== Great starting point and gives some wonderful lines that move you through the quests. I personally like it as a starting point but some where around L17 it seems to stop directing you and you are left trying to figure out what to do next. I have started two Characters in Kelethin and enjoyed it both times.

Neriak (Dark Light Woods) == I really liked starting in this one, good quests, they flow together well and are fun. I will add that I HATE the city of Neriak! I can not count how many times I have walked off the edge due to lag. I am on a first name bases with the spikes in the bottom of every pit there!

Gorowyn (Timorous Deep) == Another fun starting point. Good quest flow but I was left wondering where to go a few times. Right around level 16 or so after you get to the city of Gorowyn. The city is well laid out and the housing is close to the bank, broker, crafting stations, and merchants.

New Halas (???) == I started two characters out in New Halas and deleted both of them. I can not stand it as a starting point but then again I am a desert creature IRL and can not stand all the snow and ice on my screen. I know lots of people who love it and love the quest lines so on this one it is personal and not a game related issue. :(

My over all would be Neriak if evil and Kelethin if good. Then again, who knows I may change my mind when I find something new ;)
  10. mouser Well-Known Member

Like everyone has said, all of them are good, and you can try them all out: you can even try them all out on the same character if you want - since you're All Access, you can change the XP->AA slider: under the AA tab, third of the buttons on the right side I think there's a slider near the top. If you set it so 90-95% of your XP goes to AA you won't outlevel areas so quickly. I do this on all my characters so I can take my time and actually enjoy the quests.

Note: you can't do that until level 10, when AA starts.

Also - if you're an explorer type, the starting zones for both Qeynos and Freeport still exist. You have to get to them from outside the cities (the inside entrances now take you to different quest zones - you may be able to use the city bell for the city of your alignment). If you take the world globe thing (you'll find it soon enough) and go to Antonica or the Commanlands and muck about near the cities, you'll find the entrances. Each also has a 'sewer' system with loads of quests - some of them very good, spanning several zones and lasting a good bit of time. You have to be careful if you go in as a character of the 'wrong' alignment - but they are doable, just watch out for the guards.
  11. Moldylocks Member

I like Neriak to start, then when I've finished the questline in Darklight Woods I mentor to 15 and go do all of the New Halas ones. Its a great way to get a ton of early AA as well. I tend to avoid Kelethin and Gorowyn for the reasons mentioned a couple posts up. Gorowyn is nice to go back to every once in a while, but the layout just doesn't mesh with me very much. Kelethin is nice if I want to run around a gorgeous zone, but again, its a layout issue for me. Neriak and New Halas are just more refined, imho.
  12. Liral Active Member

LOL I like in a place where we have tons of snow on the ground as I type this and love the snow look. :)
  13. Liral Active Member

I can't stress that point enough. I LOVE the quests and zones in the Qeynos and Freeport areas. The sewer areas are great to quest in and get a TON of AA in while level locking for AA.

I so miss the old starter isle. :(
  14. Kalderon Well-Known Member

I would start at neriak or halas, both great for starting, both passed through in about 30 mins, so i dont bother thinking about what to choose ^^ (but im an long term player ^^)

But, as Liral worte.... i do miss the ilse too.... was fun to get the first steps of eq2. Bit more fun then today i have to say ^^

Just thought about it.... we all know where or why we started at the newbilse..... but i didnt bother to question, why we start in neriak or so.... where do we come from ^^ might sound dumb.... but anyhow :)
  15. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

The portal quest seems to have been nerfed, if you talk to the quest giver you'll find yourself asking why the portals don't work for you and he'll explain about how you have to get on his good side (or whatever) before you're allowed to use them and he'll give you the quest but that's all a lie, the portals work right off the bat.
  16. Ivory Member

I can verify that the portal quest is still available but it is not required to access the portals. However as a New (returning after several years) player, I found New Halas much easier to navigate than Neriak.
  17. mague Active Member

Usually melee priests and pet classes (incl. beastmaster) are good to solo. But it doesnt matter anymore. The game has mercs now. You can always hire a healer, tank or dps class if the mobs are to strong. Play what is fun to play.
  18. Araxes Active Member

I firmly believe that Neriak is the best starting area. The geographical area is small, the quest lines are tight and flow nicely from one area to the next, the lore is interesting, and the atmosphere of the area is great. You move very quickly though it but it doesn't feel rushed. Followed by Kelethin, and then Gorowyn, and lastly New Halas. I truly dislike Halas as I find it has the worst of the "fetch" and "kill ten rats" quests, with the most amount of tedium and rubber-banding, out of all the starter areas. However, others love Halas for its winter atmosphere and it's frogloks.

Unfortunately as a brand new player, you will first have to create a character, start in Neriak or Halas, then create another one, if you want to start in Kelethin or Gorowyn.

If you choose Neriak, you will have to play an evil or neutral race; Halas, good or neutral. If you are evil, you cannot play: Paladin, Mystic, Swashbuckler, or Conjuror. If you are good, you cannot play: Shadowknight, Defiler, Brigand, or Necromancer. All other race / class combinations are valid in either starting area.

Once you start you will find the game directs you very well from one area to the next. In Butcherblock, be sure to pick up Roger Goldie's quest from Old Man Silvers. That will drive you up into the level 70 range along an ideal path.
  19. mouser Well-Known Member

Darklight Woods is also an awesome place to complete loads of legend and lore quests early on:

Elemental, ghost, skeleton, zombie, vampire, and I'm probably forgetting a few.