Recipe Books

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-d1anaw, May 15, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-d1anaw Guest

Can we work on a way to "personalize" the recipe books. I am not going to make armor or jewelry with my carpenter. I just won't do it. There are also other recipes in my books that I won't use. I need to be able to delete or hide those recipes that I won't use. It makes it very difficult to find what you are looking for if you are unsure of the name, since some of the names are a little non-descriptive or totally off the beaten path.
  2. ARCHIVED-ReddyKY Guest

d1anaw wrote:
    The default UI has a pretty robust search feature and a way to store searches. Have you tried that yet?
  3. ARCHIVED-Zeedlana Guest

As stated above, you can save filter/sorts on your recipes. You can do this based on skill, level or recipe book even. Or any combination of the various options you select.
    I have a general furniture tab (which is only really needed for lower levels so I don't get all that extra fun stuff in the way) and then I have things sorted by events - E-day, Brewday, Bristlebane, etc for when I want to see those specific ones.
    And then I have my apprentice researched recipes sorted out on their own so I can find them without having to search through it all.

Much better solution of fixing something how you want to see it rather than asking something be taken away because of a personal preference. I have control over what recipes I see when and where, without anyone else sticking their nose into the matter.
  4. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

We can filter through items yes, but we desperatedly need some kind of filter on the actual recipe books. Currently, finding a recipe book is a major pain (especially if you are a tinker on top of all the regular stuff, event stuff, random quest items and so on).
  5. ARCHIVED-Kuulei Guest

The books are in alphabetical order, I am not sure what more you'd want in the normal search filter for the actual books. Perhas what you're wanting is an additional filtering aoption added to the current tradeskill window, one that will sepertate the recipes such as :
    Holiday
    Special Events
    Tinkering
    etc.
    You can do that already, but it would be nice to have one more filtering window on that tradeskill UI for those that find it difficult to make thier own?
  6. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

Well, my main problem is that on localized servers, it's not really on alphabetical order. Name of book changes from one tier to the other, capitals are at the top, small case at the bottom, some letters are accentuated and other not and some books are translated and other not. So, for example, my transmuting books are stuffed in 5 different places (iirc) and in random order (book one 1 before book 4, before book 3 and such) in the "alpha" order.
    On Test it's not that bad, but on Storms I would sell my soul for a filter to type part of the recipe book name in it to grab said book easily.
  7. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Kuulei wrote:
    It would be nice if recipe filters weren't shared across toons. so if you create filters for charater1 when you login charater2 the recipe filters for charater1 aren't displayed on charater2.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cloudrat Guest

Every once in a while I have begged for a revamp of the horrible filtering system in hopes of something more useful to a carpenter/tinker and now /adorner. The naming of items and the unusual filing system creates many obstacles to user friendly filtering. The verbal use of alphabetical filing for humans versus the upper and lower case recognition for computer commands is only one of the less than friendly parts of the crafting setup.
    I would like to see something like the favorites section of my IE browser as a way to work with recipes. Istaria developed a crafting recipe setup like that years ago and it was great to work with. Also, the filtering needs to be unique to each crafter. Since they made it so you need multiple crafters to be self-sufficient, they need to make the system alt friendly as well.
    edit:spelling error fix
  9. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Cloudrat wrote:
    i dont think it would be that hard to do. It could ether filter by creator or the filter itself by tradeskill.
    players could then create a filter and configure it so it only shows up on that tradeskill and then they could create generic filters which are shared across toons (frostfell/brewday recipies etc, etc)
  10. ARCHIVED-d1anaw Guest

I would like the option not to just catagorize, because that is still "wasted" space. I'd like to be able to at least hide if not delete recipes. Does anyone really continue to use the recipes you made at levels 1-10 to complete those early tradeskill quests? If not, why not be able to delete them, or in my case, delete the jewelery and the armor from by carpenter? It shouldn't be that complicated. And it should be able to be done by character, not by acct.
  11. ARCHIVED-Tallisman Guest

I would like a filter that lists recipes that require a reactant. Currently, you have to select the individual one. Yes, it's pedantic and a word I apparently can't use but typically comes before retentive :D
  12. ARCHIVED-Boethius_Permafrost Guest

I agree that the recipe book could use some improvements. There are a few easy changes that I really think everyone should be able to agree on and see the urgent need for:
    1. Save recipe searches by the character that has those recipes to search.
    I should be able to define a search as global or specific to that character only. Right now, I have to scroll through a lot of saved searches, and I deleted some useful searches because I didn't want to have to deal with the very poor performing scrolling interface on that dropdown. If there were a way for me to save the searches that each crafter needs without it showing up on every character I have, then I would be very happy. (This alone would tremendously improve the crafting experience for people with 9 crafters).
    2. The ability to save a search that you can type in.
    You know how you want to find a recipe, so you type in the name and hit find? You can't save that in a search. The search should allow you to save a search term, and I'd really like a regex option. (It's not too technical since we can share the codes on fan sites if necessary. People don't need to write regex to run ACT, after all, and that's loaded with regex).
    3. Improve the categories you can search on
    Searches should have more useful filters, like expansion, component (by name), handcrafted/mastercrafted/fabled, writs, equipable slot, stat. My alchemist would love to search for mastercrafted poisons, for example. The current filters have some useful categories, but many are useless. I filter on recipe book and class, and sometimes by level, but the other categories I'm not sure how they could be useful. And filtering by recipe book is cumbersome due to the poor scrolling and the small space allowed for that section. Maybe steal some ideas from the revised broker search features which are much more robust than they used to be, but the crafting search interface hasn't changed.