Readjustment of Expectations.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Oldtimer, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Oldtimer Active Member

Hi guys,

I'm really not feeling that what is on offer with ToV is worth the asked for price. What we get vs. what is paid vs what other games offer is slipping all the time towards 'other games'

I am sure it is too late but I think Gold members should receive this content patch for free, and non-Gold members should be able to purchase it for $15 and there should be an option on the SC to purchase CE ToV upgrade for say 2500SC.

From a fiscal perspective this could only be win-win for your business team - as rather than a lot of people feeling slightly ripped off every time you charged new FULL game prices for a small expac, you would have people telling all their friends to come and try - word would get out and people would end up buy loads of CE.

As for people that have stumped up the ambitious pre-order price - refund them the difference as gold membership ( as if you used this suggestion, they are gold members anyway) or a full refund if they are f2p people.
    Kurogo likes this.
  2. Oldtimer Active Member

Oh and by the way - live servers are taking ridiculously long to let people log in, the log in servers have been messed up for a week, and there are people just going and playing other games as when they want to log into a service they pay for, and find they cannot use it.
  3. Thand Well-Known Member

i do not expect to see a Kunark size expansion again. I do love the old eq 1 style mega expansions but people do not want to wait a year per expansion any more
  4. Loch Well-Known Member

But we DO wait a year between expansions...
    Fetish likes this.
  5. Louly Well-Known Member

So from a fiscal perspective have you taken into consideration the production costs, overhead and all the other things that make for a profitable bottom line? I don't see how this would work. Oh yes be sure to give more to stuff for free (sarcasm)
  6. Ajjantis Well-Known Member

Still, the new expansions become smaller and smaller. Compare todays exps pack with EoF or Kunark. Kunark is epic compared to the last 2-3.
    Kalika likes this.
  7. Sucha Active Member

The expansions have definitely gotten smaller while prices have stayed about the same. To be honest though they just got rid of a majority of their people that worked on EQ2 so I do not expect things to change for the better anytime soon. It seems the way they plan on keeping people is by making sure you have to completely re-gear a character to play the new content in any meaningful way and making it take much longer to complete even solo dungeons (sarcasm btw).
  8. Megason New Member

Here's my perspective. After playing the Beta for a few days now I can not at this time justify ponying up 40 bucks for a small, more of the same expansion. The only time I get the slightest thrill out of the game is when I am in Antonica and hear the background music which takes me back many years to when I first started playing EQ2 (9years ) and how exciting it was. Nothing in game gives me a thrill like I had in the first few years. This latest expansion is just one more reason for me to move on.
  9. RadarX Community Manager

I'm going to go ahead and move this. We absolutely do want your feedback, however the Beta forums are for specific concerns on Beta and it's content. The cost of something or our business model is a little different animal and we'd love your thoughts here in General Gameplay.
  10. Raff Well-Known Member

I buy every expansion that comes out, no matter what. When you calculate the all the costs against the number of hours of enjoyment this game has given me over the years?

Its a steal no matter how you look at it.
    Foretold, Rijacki, Tariya and 4 others like this.
  11. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I'd appreciate some dev comment if I'm wrong about this, but the game engine caps out at level 100, so now, 9 years after release we're looking at approaching that cap. They're working on leveling things in other ways to avoid that cap.
  12. Feldon Well-Known Member

It was stated at SOE Live that there is no "level 100 mechanics cap". They could raise the level cap to 100 or beyond. They choose not to for obvious reasons:
    • Level cap raises further stratify the playerbase.
    • Returning/New players feel that there is a mountain of level grinding between them and the rest of the playerbase.
    • it is a tremendous amount of development effort for a few days/weeks of gameplay, vs giving us more instances, more zones, and more quests which can be level agnostic.
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

So instead we get stat inflation, gear inflation. Hit 95 and look at levels of gear instead of levels of adventuring...
    Kurogo and Mermut like this.
  14. Tinkerbe Active Member

If I remember correctly, and this was stated not long after initial release, EQ2 started with developers planning for 100 levels. I don't know that anything was coded that would restrict further levels.
  15. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

So now we're going to have level 95 COE Steward geared LFG vs level 95 ToV geared LFG.
  16. Feldon Well-Known Member

That was true at launch. It is no longer true as per a question at SOE Live.
  17. bedford New Member

Inclined to agree with the OP.

I am currently a gold subscriber, at least in principle. My subscription is paid up and won't expire until 2014 but I haven't played since July. This was a mistake for two reasons; firstly I got bored of the current content before my subscription lapsed and secondly because all the features I need are now free anyway. The first mistake was mine. The second wasn't, but I can accept that SOE probably need to change their business model to stay competitive and can live with it.

Either way, the current live game isn't one I want to play at the moment, even if it's free.

On this basis I can't imagine any circumstance where I would buy this expansion for the current price when I could buy a new, much larger, AAA game for the same sum of money.

I am already a paying customer and can't find any reason to log in now. How on earth would paying another fairly large sum for a very limited amount of content appear attractive?
  18. Whitetide Active Member

I'm fine with $40 a year for the only game that keeps me interested. I'll definitely be buying kronos with plat for gold sub for the foreseeable future though. I don't see the point of doing otherwise, considering how easy plat comes in.
  19. cellinaire Well-Known Member

Ya, imo it would've been a bit nicer if they also had a discount for Standard Edition, not just CE. (like just 5$~10$ off from it )
  20. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Games cost money to make. Period. I don't think they are charging beyond fair prices.

This game is pennies on the hour as far as entertainment costs go. Years of fun for cheap.
    Rijacki, Deveryn and Tariya like this.