Rares for Tradeskills

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Notnasty, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Bhayar Well-Known Member

The problem is one I outlined in my original note about miscommunication. People simply use one term two different ways, so in essence, they're not saying the same thing even though they think they are. I ran into this issue personally years ago talking to a person from Data Processing when I needed some of our executives in the field to have access to folders we kept on our regional servers so they could stay abreast of some information. I told the guy they needed "access" to the folders and he said it couldn't happen. We went back and forth for about a half an hour and frankly things were getting heated. All of a sudden it dawned on me to ask him, "when I talk about them having 'access' to these folders, what do you think I'm referring to?" His response, 'read, write, and edit capability.' I said, "That's not what I'm asking for. They need the ability to be able to access the folders so they can read them for information. I don't want them having edit capabilities. You ever watch a movie where someone's trying to get to a website and it says 'Access Denied.' It doesn't say Editing denied." Once we figured out we were using the same word, but ascribing two completely different definitions to it, problem was resolved.
    Same here applies. A Tradeskill toon doesn't raid. They craft pots or whatever to support a raiding toon on the same account might need. Early on, TSing recipes were dropping in raids and no where else. The TS weeklies weren't dropping squat. They were lore, which means the only toon that could use them was the toon that was raiding. Do some raiding toons do tradeskills to support what they need--like alchemist, sage, etc. Yes. But I don't know a single person who refers to their raiding toon as a Tradeskill toon. In this case, the OP was using Tradeskill Toon (his spelling) as a proper noun to describe his nonraiding toons. There were a lot of complaints early on about TSing recipes only dropping in raids--I remember because I was one of the people complaining about it. Many of the recipes were useful in raids, like Svarni barding. They later killed all TSing drops. His use of the term "rares" wasn't about rare ores, etc. as much as "rare" recipes that you couldn't get anywhere else in game. With Denmum coming into game, a lot of positive things happened. There's your context for his original post, although his timing on it wasn't timely. Some people chose to focus on Tradeskill Toon as if he was referring to toons who raid and it wasn't even close to what he was saying. Again, a great example of miscommunication when two people use the same word two completely different ways. Next time you find yourself in that situation, think about asking the question, "When you use this term, what are you referring to?" Odds are extremely high they'll have a very different definition than you're using.
    Twyla likes this.