Rare items for spells

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Chummm, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Chummm Guest

Okay,

So I'm now in my late 20's with my necromancer and I'm having a ball. I've relied on pretty much only drops for spell upgrades. Adept I's in a lot of things and an App IV pet. So what I'm thinking about now is slowing down and making sure I harvest EVERY single resource deposit I come across.

So to get myself setup 30+, what areas should I concentrate on harvesting? I'm assuming Nektulos or Thundering Steppes. I'm guessing these would be Tier 3 spells. So where should I concentrate my efforts and what should I look for? (ores, rocks, logs, roots?) and what component is the one I'm after if/when I harvest the rare?

Also, is there any good site with harvesting info for what I'm looking for? And please don't tell me to go shop the market. I'm new and have managed to save 8 gold. It's not an option. I have to do it the old fashioned way.

Thanks for any info.

Oh, and is upgrading to Rats Master II feasible? I love using rats, but don't know about spending a Master II on it.

Chumm
  2. ARCHIVED-Sarkoris Guest

You can go one of 2 ways - harvest everything and sell any non gem rares (the ones used for spell upgrades) to buy your own adept III/master pemade off broker or the gem rare and get one made.

The second alternative is just concentrate on the gem harvests until you get enough of what you need to upgrade the spells you want.

Rats is always a good option fo rmaster II - not always the best choice based on playstyle for some so I can't give you a definitive answer but the rats option is not one you will regret taking 5 minutes later.

Sark.
  3. ARCHIVED-Uanelven Guest

If you are just harvesting then harvest everything. Most things will sell for correct price on broker so you may aswell while you are doing it and you will probably pick up some other rares. Mining is what you want to be doing though for the spell upgrade gems/metal.

Personally I hate harvesting but I like people to do it or little would be available. :)
  4. ARCHIVED-bluestocking Guest

If you're going to be harvesting in the same general area for any length of time, I recommend harvesting everything.. even the fungi. Why?
    1) Any node you harvest may respawn as a rock.
    2) Since you've got limited funds, selling the commons or the other rares will increase your bank account while you're looking for the rares you need.
    If you're looking for XP while you harvest, Nek is great, since just about everything aggros.
    If you're looking to purely harvest, I'd recommend TS. The area between Qeynos Tower 3 and the RoV back entrance is full of nodes and its easy to avoid the mobs that might aggro.
  5. ARCHIVED-Dark_Matter Guest

So how exactly do these different tier components work for crafting spells?

I was asking in the public crafting channel on my server and was told that rares from all tiers are used to craft Adept 3's. Does that mean that T1 rares are use for level 1-10 spells, T2 for 10-20, T3 for 20-30, etc? I'm level 26, and the majority of my spells are still just Apprentice IIs (except for the Master 1s from training) and my pets are App 4 for buying on the market. Since I'm still fairly new to EQ2 I'm not sure how all this works. I feel as if it has become a little more difficult for me to solo as I get higher level and my spells haven't been upgraded, so I could use all the tips I can get! Thanks.

Senneca
    26 Necromancer
    Mistmoore
  6. ARCHIVED-Eirgorn Guest

Yep you pretty much have it. To upgrade a spell to ad3 you have to use a rare soft metal / gem from the same tier to make the ink and finally get that turned into the spell. Here is a list of the rares per tier.
    Tier (Level Range) Soft Metal Gem Zones
    1 (1 - 9) Copper Lapis Any newbie starting zone
    2 (10 -19) Silver Coral Commonlands, Antontica
    3 (20 -29) Palladium Jasper Nektulos, Thundering Steppes
    4 (30 - 39) Ruthenium Opal Enchanted Lands, Zek
    5 (40 -50) Rhodium Ruby Feerrott, Everfrost, Rivervale, Lavastorm
    6 (51 - 60) Vanadium Pearl Sinking Sands, Pillars of Flame
  7. ARCHIVED-Eriol Guest

That's exactly it. And take the advice above for harvesting EVERYTHING, or else all the nodes that will be left are the ones you do NOT touch. The ones that give spell rares are the "stone" ones (not the ore) that normally give agate and gold, whereas the rares for spells are palladium and jasper. But since ANY type can re-spawn from the node with equal frequency, if you ONLY harvest the one you want, eventually there will be NONE left.
  8. ARCHIVED-gr8scott Guest

FYI,
    The T6 nodes seem to be fixed spawn instead of variable. If a particular spawn is a mining node then it will always be a mining node.

GS
  9. ARCHIVED-Eirgorn Guest

Yup, with the T6 zones they started putting harvesting nodes in fitting areas - such as fungi, stones and ore in the Croc Caves. Im not sure if they are planning to go back and do this to the lower tier zones, but I think I read somewhere awhile back that this wasnt just an idea for the DoF zones.
    People originally said this was a bad idea, and certain harvesting areas would be camped all the time - but I havent noticed this yet and so far I am enjoying harvesting in T6.
  10. ARCHIVED-Dark_Matter Guest

Well today I was out harvesting in Nektulos Forest after reading through this thread, and I happened upon a Palladium Stone. Having never had a spell made for me, I don't know how the process goes. Is the Palladium the correct ingredient I need to supply to a crafter to get a spell made, or do I need to keep harvesting and hope for a gem? Also, if the Palladium is it, is that all I really need, or do I need to go out and harvest more to supply to the crafter? I also found a couple of sparkling stones which appear to be the uncommon - are those worth/used for anything?

After all of my time harvesting, I had large amount of electrum, gold, agate and iron (from both Nektulos and Commonlands), but unfortunately my house vault is full of spells that I have picked up on my adventures that I'm trying to sell. I just ended up giving all the ingredients to a RL friend of mine. In your experience, what sells better? Adept 1s (I've only sold a couple so far, out of 12 that I have up) or the trade skill commons?
  11. ARCHIVED-Riggz Guest

How do I make a spell once I have the ore and gem? And how do I select the spell I want to make?
  12. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Hire a Sage (use /who all sage to find one), and tell him what spell you want made (Be sure to bribe him with some coin, too; most Sages do not work for free). Just make sure the Sage is a high enough level (IE: If you want a level 25 spell made, you need at least a level 25 Sage). The Sage will know how to do the rest.
  13. ARCHIVED-Chabisu Guest

I just wanted to chime in and say that right now is a perfect time to harvest as well with the recent change to rare rarity.

My level 30 necro picked up the PGT Heritage the other day and so I spent some time in TS mining. I ran around harvesting everything in the area and by the time I finished getting updates for the PGT, I had 5 Palladiums and a Jasper as well as a few other node rares. I then found some Jaspers on the market for 20 gold per (compared to 80 gold a few weeks ago) so bought them as well to make heals for my Fury for when she mentors.

I logged in my Dirge last night to harvest Enchanted Lands for Opals/Ruth for my necro's upcoming pets and rat spells and in about 4 hours total over last night and this morning I got 3 Opals and 1 Ruthenium to do it, though I didn't get any other node rares besides a couple of Glimmering Flowers. I did get enough raws though to make people in the guild who tradeskill happy though.

Comparing that to harvesting weeks/months ago where you could spend eight hours and walk away with nothing and I don't see much of any reason for most people to not have at least some Adept 3 spells unless they are just dead set against harvesting. Now I just have to find the guy who I usually go to for making me Adept 3s and see how much it will all cost.
  14. ARCHIVED-Nosewarts Guest

Some people have abysmal luck. I harvested for 4 hours and 300 nodes yesterday. Got one ore rare.
  15. ARCHIVED-Stammie Guest

Same here.. got friggin stacks of Luminous though..

I counted an mined 100 soft metal modes without a single rare. Did that again the other day and found a strange black ore. Then, I went out harvesting again for the heck of it and found a ruby on the first node I saw..

Strangely enough, I did got a Ebon and a Figwart roots in the progress, so I guess everything is made more common except the soft metals/gems..