Not A Bug Rare harvest %'s broken

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Blambil, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Blambil Active Member

I've suspected as much, but I spent about 3 hours harvesting as fast as I could today to validate with some data.

The "rare harvest %" numbers appear to be broken.

Here's my data from today (Logged using "Harvesting.cs" plugin in ACT.)

L125 character - Mahngavi Wastes
    +72 harvesting skill nails added, skill of each harvest type 972/972
    +rare harvest mount items, +bountiful harvest items.

Rare Harvest % : 30.5%
    Bountiful Harvest % : 132%

On the bright side, the Bountiful harvest %'s are working correctly, on 607 attempts I had 607 bountiful harvest.

However, on 607 attempts, I had a pitiful 27 rares returned, which works out to 2.18% of attempts (27 out of 607+607) 4.45% of "my" clicks (27 out of 607), and a tiny 0.55% of actual items harvested (27 out of 4943). 30.5% chance of rare it is not.

(EDIT: Looked great in preview, munged in posting!!)

[IMG]

In theory, since the harvesting skills are so far above the required for the zone, it should be even higher than 30.5%, at least the way I used to understand how your skill interacted with the chance of rares. I would have also expected the %rare chance to equalize across types, but at least in this run, it's hard to get rares from fallen branches, but maybe my sample size wasn't big enough.. it was the limit of my patience today however.

Hoping one of the devs can jump in with some data, help clarify the vast difference between stats reported in the UI and actual experiences. Any way I slice the math, it's not right to me.

(I suspect the answer is something like "3% chance to rare, increasing 30% takes you to 3.9%, increasing 100% would take you to 6%, we never meant you could get to 100% chance of a rare!" - if that's the case, the UI should reflect the ACTUAL rare chance, like it does the Bountiful chance)
    Feara likes this.
  2. Zhevally Well-Known Member

Rare harvest chance was switched a few xpacs ago to modify the base rare harvest chance. We have never been told what the base chance is. If your rare harvest is 100%, that does not mean you will get a rare 100% of the time, but you will get a rare about twice as often as someone with 0% rare harvest.
    Feara, Scrappyz and Twyla like this.
  3. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

You should learn to relax and maybe play a video game to relieve some stress

I like how the numbers are now, I dont want to see the .0003% chance to get something..you know how the numbers work and how the RNG is, just roll with it and harvest more. A 110% bountiful harvest will net you way more rares than trying to increase your rare chance, we both know that

Just accept it as it is
  4. Blambil Active Member

The data doesn't support that statement. Bountiful harvest appears to have *zero* impact on the rare chance, because rares only come on the initial pull, not the second pull. (Check your logs)

It's one thing if the numbers are hidden from us, and we can't affect them. "Rare Harvest %" is a displayed value, and in-game items affect it. It should be accurate.
  5. Taled Well-Known Member

You are incorrect.

Rares absolutely can and do come on non-initial pulls.Hell, you can pull multiple rares on the same harvest.

The stat isn't inaccurate, it just doesn't work the way you expect it to. It's hardly the only % based stat that is a multiplier instead of an additive.
    Pixistik, Melkior and Zhevally like this.
  6. Zhevally Well-Known Member

Bountiful past 100 doesn't do anything, but having bountiful at 100 absolutely will double the rares you get. Checking your logs, with enough harvesting would show you can indeed get rares on hte second pull. [This was obviously easier to see when you were pulling rares a majority of the time, but still can be seen]
  7. Melkior Well-Known Member

I agree with Taled. I'm not sure why you think Rares only come from the first pull, but I have plenty of logs that show it to be untrue.

I don't care for the change, but it has been discussed many times on the forums, and clearly is not a bug. Bottom line, rare harvest gear has a very minimal effect on rare harvest chance even if you have lots of it. Disappointing? Yes. But it was a deliberate design decision and not a bug.
    Taled likes this.
  8. Feara Well-Known Member

Bite me! I totally agree with this.
    Pixistik and Taled like this.