Rangers unite - Ranger Summon Arrows needs changing

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-hieronymus, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-hieronymus Guest

Dear devs.
    Please make this spell actually do something worth while like summon arrows better than what you can BUY off the broker. What is the point in giving us a spell that can make our own arrows when the arrows it makes are rubbish and do a whole lot less DPS than broker bought ones?
    A master spell should summon no trade no value arrows better than what player made are, after all its a master spell and instead of making a few more arrows it should have better quality. Adept 3 say 75 and be at least level with player made and so on and so forth. Im not asking for super dooper explosive heat seaking arrows here, just slightly better than what can be bought off the broker providing the tier of spell is high enough.
    You already have given us a pointless CA in streaming arrows which Im sure is not even on a ranger's tool bar, so please dont give us another one.
    Its quite simple. We are a RANGEr (clue in the name) we use a lot of arrows as SOE thoughtfully gave us loads of CA's that use a bow and an arrow so our arrow consumption is massive, 1000's a night for a raiding ranger at least. Can you see where the problem lies!!!
    Other classes will still buy arrows off the broker so theres no issue of ww running out of business. And no Im not going to grind to lvl 80 in order to make my own arrows...I work for a living all ready
    So please please SOE show the ranger some love as its about time we had some...
  2. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

hieronymus wrote:
  3. ARCHIVED-hieronymus Guest

what is that meant to mean? are you saying we should have US flags on our chain mail and be hugging trees?
  4. ARCHIVED-shadowedwolf Guest

While I don't think it should make better arrows then players can make, I do agree it needs to be changed. The ammount of arrows I can summon + the recast time makes it virtually worthless as when I'm grouped (or even soloing) I go through more arrows than I actually summoned and still have a bunch of time to resummon. (Hope that just made sense.) I only use that spell spell now when I'm paranoid I MIGHT run outta arrows.
    As for the RANGE in Ranger... think that's more along the lines of land, not combat. That is... Rangers roam and protect the land (range). Rangers are typically skilled in both long range and close combat... ya know, cuz you need to be when protecting the lands.... which makes me wonder why I even w/ good gear and spells I couldn't melee my way outta a wet paper bag....
    At anyrate, I'd like to see it change so it's actually useful instead of the useless waste of space it is in my spellbook.
    I was playing on my PS2 today... pulled it out and dusted it off... played Champions of Norrath for the first time in years... I gotta say, I loved my Ranger there... exploding arrows, poison arrows... that's what we need in EQ2... even if they're player made.
    Edit: You think I'd have learned to spell words better in my 24 years of life...
  5. ARCHIVED-hieronymus Guest

ok ignore the RANGE bit, that was just a bit of a note to say we use a bow and arrow, i dont really care what the meaning of a ranger is whether its a tree warden or a US soldier... The point is the arrow making spell and not what the word ranger means...
  6. ARCHIVED-shadowedwolf Guest

hieronymus wrote:
    Sorry mate, wasn't trying to make ya mad...
  7. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

hieronymus wrote:
    It means that you're talking rubbish, the Ranger part of Ranger has little to do with what you said it does, if you can't even research that before posting who's going to take the rest of your post seriously?
  8. ARCHIVED-hieronymus Guest

Nuladen@Runnyeye wrote:
    lol thanks for derailing the thread with a pointless message. I suggest you go look up Sony's meaning of a ranger before being dumb enough to just randomly look up the word ranger and find evidence that bears no sense at all.
    Sony say
    Rangers are unrivaled in their ability to hunt foes and scout dangers in the untamed wilds of Norrath. Known for sneaking safely through dangerous territory, Rangers use stealth, perception and cunning to seek out enemies and fell them from a distance with a deadly volley of arrows.
    So where does it say they should be a US soldier or have a coppicing skill?? ooh and check out the end bit about arrows!!
    Thanks again for your imput, it will certainly help a bad spell be upgraded into something worthwhile!
  9. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

Here's the pertinent bit: A wanderer; a rover.
    EDIT: More to the point, SoE's description of the ranger has changed considerably since launch.
    And to reply to your OP, no. 90% of my arrow sale are to rangers so unless I get something in return I don't want summon arrows to be better than the ones I make.
    Ammo needs to be removed period.
  10. ARCHIVED-FearDiadh Guest

I wonder if there is any other tradeskill class that can say they get 90% of their business from one single class. I heard an armorer say they were struggling, so perhaps we can set it up where guardians subsidize their business, thereby increasing their sales 900%. It could involve armorers having to do special repairs on the guardian's shield after they use Tower of Stone a few times. The armorers would benefit greatly and if one class has to pay out an extra few plat a week to make it happen, well... that is ok right?
  11. ARCHIVED-hieronymus Guest

should change the game name to evergreed
  12. ARCHIVED-Besual Guest

Whats the reason for that spell? The summoned arrows are free. I admit the recast / amount of summoned arrows should be changed so a ranger can use the summoned arrows nonstop. But if he wants to the best DPS he could do then he should use crafted arrows.
  13. ARCHIVED-hieronymus Guest

Besual wrote:
    and other DPS classes have to pay everytime they use a spell dont they? I know they have to buy potions, poisons, remedies etc but then so does a ranger!
    Im not looking to get other classes having to spend money on their DPS Im looking for the ranger to be brought into line with them all. I expect SOE will phase out the ranger or turn them into some **** hybrid but until that day we should get decent arrows for our DPS and not have to spend on it.
  14. ARCHIVED-Guy De Alsace Guest

Only Rangers get the ability to summon their own arrows out of thin air. Everyone else who uses a ranged weapon has to buy them unless they have one of the items that summon their own. That covers a large chunk of classes.
    Summon Arrows seems fine to me as it is. I made my Ranger into a Woodworker precisely so he could supply himself with his own arrows as and when needed.
    What would be nice perhaps would be Ranger only arrows, tradeskilled or as loot. Be nice to be able to fling some exploding arrows into groups of mobs.
  15. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

Jack@Lucan DLere wrote:
    I said 90% of arrows, which isn't close to 100% of my sales and I still don't sell many mainly due to not wishing to spend ages making them. But I'd not want to see them removed without some sort of replacement.
    hieronymus, we've already had arrow useage reduced, the devs feel that it was good enough and I doubt it'll be reviewed again anytime soon, as I said earlier, the only fair thing to do in my opinion is remove ammo useage from the game completely.
  16. ARCHIVED-FireDragon Guest

I have never even used a ranger summoned arrow: I have prefered to use the lame ones bought from a vendor to them. They are pointless.

I agree that I would not mind seeing the arrow quality/quantity depend on the spell.

Mastered summoned arrows should be of comparable quality to nice crafted. It would not ever be a alternative to buying them: the cooldown on the spell is far far too high.
  17. ARCHIVED-Noob1974 Guest

I think what makes this even more unfair is that rogues,monks,brawler, even tanks can use the dagger of marnek, i hope
    thats correct spelled. It summons every 15 min 100 dagger with the quality of ferrite fieldpoint arrows, +118 Piercing dmg
    and 10 % Hitbonus. Do not tell me ranger mythical has a 60 % chance to not use any arrows, as only a couple of ranger
    from every server will have the chance to get a mythical..
  18. ARCHIVED-floofers Guest

If we did this we would put crafters out of business!
  19. ARCHIVED-shadowedwolf Guest

Like I said before, I'd just like to see the arrows on par w/ the stuff I can buy from the city bowyers. 95% of the Rangers I know have a woodworker which makes me wonder how woodworkers stay in business anyways... prices of arrows are relativly cheap on Butcherblock atm but... still...
    As for putting crafters out of business.... I've seen plenty of armoursmiths and weaponsmiths stop lvling thier crafters because you can do RoK solo quests and get better gear than the MC stuff. And hang it up if they get a group and get drops in dungeons...
    Honestly though, and I wasn't kidding last night, I said it in all honesty, they should give woodworkers some new arrows to make. Ones that give off otehr forms of dmg. Exploding, cold, fire, diesise... whatever. Think Deathfist Arrows only for higher lvls. Those I'd pay for. Heck, even a temp charm that adds dmg.
    Sorry... got sidetracked there... but... really... would it be so bad to make the arows on par w/ city boywer stuff? Crafters can't say it put them outta business and Rangers could continue to ignore that spell unless they get into a painfully long group and use more arrows than they thought possible.
  20. ARCHIVED-Jeckson Guest

Woodworker's should never rely on a specific class to make profit, and ranger's shouldn't rely any more for a woodworker than an assassin or other class who may use bow and arrows. We pay for poisons and other items as much as other scout classes, but arrows is a bit too much in my opinion. Summon Arrows is virtually useless, along with streamshot and coverage when you have the mythical. Why give us abilities that we almost never use for one, and why make us pay more for our dps?