range weopon and ammo question

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-DianeMarie, Jul 25, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-DianeMarie Guest

Will using a range weopon, bow in combination with arrows ( I am assuming you need to use arrows too) give you a larger range to taunt prey? Never heard this until last night.

Also, if a throwing axe is used instead, does it produce the same results as the bow and arrow?

thank you
  2. ARCHIVED-yettii Guest

For a Bow, you must use Arrows. For Throwing Weapons, Throwing Satchels.

As for Taunting, it merely means that you can aggro it by attacking from afar. You can also pull from much farther away with a Long Bow, however this must be used with caution. Since a recent update, social aggro is far higher than ever, and a bow pull within more linear zones or instances upon one encounter usually means you'll get 2 encounters, if not 3 now. Its still very much an option, but if you do, make sure your target is a good distance away from another one.
  3. ARCHIVED-Pnaxx Guest

Yup.....the Bows are used to pull a mob from afar to a safe area. But be careful if the mobs are close together becase you may get several more than you wanted running your way:smileyvery-happy: And yes...buy cheap tin arrows from the boyers in your neighborhood...you don't need anything other than those. And think about a longbow, which you can get cheap from boyers too...I know the boyer in Qeynos Harbour sells em fer like 2 gold I think.
    Once the mob gets close to you. hit your taunt...group taunt for multiple critters in the mob, and slay away.
    Message Edited by Pnaxx on 07-25-2006 09:08 AM
  4. ARCHIVED-Shanka Guest

5. ARCHIVED-Hunadi Guest

I agree on buying arrows of the correct tier. Especially if you are going to raid, on some mobs that are ranged only you will do pretty good damage with T7 arrows and full double attack on the stamina line. I've hit for over 2K with my bow and T7 arrows.
    Early on in my career, I didn't think you needed the correct arrows, since I was thinking it was only for the pull, but then I tried them out and it's nice to get a crit and double attack on the pull, on solo mobs a lot of times the mob is already down to 90% health before it even gets to me.
  6. ARCHIVED-Horrt Guest

Have to agree with Shanka on this one...arrow quality makes a HUGE difference for the small difference in cost. Like most tanks, I spent almost my entire career using tin arrows. They're cheap, and ya can throw 'em away if you need room... besides I'm a Berserker... what do I need good arrows for?

Then, on a whim, I bought a stack of adamantine arrows off the vendor in the harbor... 6gp and change. That 6gp changed my thoughts. For 65+ lvls I'd been plinking at critters and doin 30-70 damage a shot... mebbe a lucky 100+ once in a while. My first shot my new arrows hit for over 1200. I almost fell over. After several more test shots, I went back to town and filled my quiver. My bow shots are now in the 800-1300 range. 6gp a stack may seem like a lot, but when it adds up to a potential for over 100k additional damage (99 arrows at a low average of 1k each)it's worth it to me. Besides, it's not like we burn through arrows at a crazy rate anyway. On a busy night I may go through a lil over a stack. Whether you're soloing or pulling for a group, the extra damage(whether to shorten solo fights or to add a lil extra hate on the pull for a group) is always a welcome addition.

If ya can afford them, buy arrows that are at your level.

Only drawback that I have is that my high melee hit is now a crit with my bow <sigh>

Message Edited by Horrt on 07-26-2006 07:26 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-kaply Guest

Lol, this is the same mistake I did until recently. I thought, why are there quivers in the game?? I mean my normal bag has 18 spaces why would I want a smaller quiver to replace it? Well the thing is you can put the quiver where you would normally put arrows and then put the arrows into that. There shouldn't be a point where you're throwing away arrows for space with that.
    Message Edited by kaply on 07-26-2006 10:28 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-R2Chief2 Guest

long bow + nice arrows and be prepared to taunt fast so the mystic/defiler dont go splat :p
  9. ARCHIVED-digitalblasphemy Guest

I have to admit to doing the arrows on the cheap thing as well. It wasn't until I was into my 60s that I tried anything other than lvl 10 arrows and I was totally amazed. Then it hit why often on arrow pulls it was so dodgy with the mob rushing off to whack the healer. It was due to my damage output and the time it took for the mob to run in taunt range. I still have my cheapy arrows, but now also have some adamantine ones as well for when I solo or do harder stuff.
  10. ARCHIVED-Mythicman Guest

Also, I don't just buy the vendor bow, either. You can get decent bows relatively inexpensively that will give you some decent stats. Vendor bows don't. It's why we who played SKs [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]ed about Zerkers being able to wield bows/satchels, and got the ability to do idols/tablets in the ranged slot. The extra stats can make a difference.

Yeah, yeah....I play an SK, too. I like tanking....
  11. ARCHIVED-Kemwen Guest

12. ARCHIVED-Domiuk Guest

apparently a couple of the really high end bows summon t8 ammunition (lvl 70 legendary arrows), with da and crits they are talking about a 10k ! pull bowshot.

who needs to taunt with that :)

so in summary make sure your using the correct tier ammunition it really does make a big differance.
  13. ARCHIVED-Giland Guest

I believe it is the stormfire bow that comes from Stormhold as a quest reward?
    Decent bow to use for a long time, even if the quest mobs are all grey. Shouldn't take but half an hour or so to do the quest either.
    Legendary bow you can use for a good long time.
  14. ARCHIVED-Storm_Runner Guest

At 46 I'm still using Stormfire but I think I'm going to buy a new bow and some tier appropriate arrows (yes I'm only using tin...the only time I haven't was when a guildy gifted me with some crafted arrows). The reason I'm thinking of switching from Stormfire is because it's classed as a shortbow not a longbow so it doesn't have the range a long bow would. I think maybe I'll buy a crafted longbow or maybe the Sureshot Bow or Bloodlet Bow from the Greenhood quests.
  15. ARCHIVED-kaply Guest

I switched to a shortbow a week back and I really don't like them. The damage per hit on them is weak. I find that I use it for pulling and I'll almost never get a second shot anyway. Using a longbow with the extra delay I can utilize that delay to fire off my CAs and not have "wasted" time in between. That plus the higher per hit from a longbow just brings a big smile. I bought a level 30 fabled longbow for when I reach that level, can't wait to use it.