Raiding mystic questions

Discussion in 'Priests' started by randomplayer, Apr 25, 2020.

1. randomplayer Member

Greetings!

So our small alliance didn't want my monk, who I have played off and on for 14 years, but they were interested in my mystic - last seen in level-locked 30s pvp battlegrounds. I know I know. I played a raid tank in EQ for 5 years so I get it. Before you all start tossing rotten vegetables my way...

I want to survive, I want my group to survive, and I want to get better dps wise. What are like 5 things I can do that might set me up for success?

I copied Melkior's aa set up but I am afraid he's less concerned about survival and more into dps than I can be right now. Anyone know of a survival template I could take a look at?

Debuffs - from what I gather, they are useless? All of them? should I debuff at all?

In other games its fairly easy to find youtubes etc from people playing at all levels. I know Final Fantasy XIV was like that, and that was the game I played most recently. EQ2 is a little trickier with all the history and the various abandoned systems. Anyone know of any I could reference?

So that's my question - if you could give me 5 pieces of advice about how to play a mystic in a Tier 1 raid, what would they be?

Thank you for your consideration !
    SynergyBlaize likes this.
  2. Melkior Well-Known Member

I had to go back to my AA spec and look to see why it appeared that I was concentrating on DPS. I definitely focus on my group before DPS. I found a couple possibilities:

One is that I don't spec Ritual of Protection. That's simply because the 10% potency on Wards didn't seem worth it to me anymore when I have 160K potency.

I also don't spec Spirit Aegis because wards no longer layer, so with ST wards, Soul Shackle, Oberon, and a Group Ward, yet another ward wasn't helping. I do still have a spec that has it that I can switch to though, if my group is struggling (basically I swap Avenging Ancestors for Spirit Aegis). Totemic Protection on the other hand macro'd to yourself is a must for any raiding shaman. I also spec'd health and stamina where I could to beef up my Health so that I can take a hit or 2 while curing, rezzing, or healing.

If there are specific things you have questions about to see if they make a difference let me know. I solo heal fairly effectively in raids most the time as long as lag is not an issue.
    Jinksie, Dude, Bludd and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kashue Member

Melkior is THE BEST Mystic i've ever known. Take this man's suggestions as the gospel truth!!
  4. randomplayer Member

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the delay in my response.

I ended up using much of your template and altering it a bit for the potency and a couple other things. There was another mystic on the server I looked at but their aa seemed kind of a mess. I guess it is all in which abilities you use most.

Things are going pretty well this week more so than before. Good idea on the TP macro. I was having a tough time getting that cast without a lot of frantic clicking.

Who do you bolster if you are not in the MT group? Do you tell the group when you use soul shackle? Right now I am just kind of random about some of those things.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Dude likes this.
  5. Melkior Well-Known Member

That's the thing about AA's. It's always good to reevaluate them based on your circumstances. It's always interesting to hear what works and doesn't work for people.

For debuffs, I don't use them much these days. I'm way busier with buffs, cures, heals, wards for the very small amount they affect things.

For Bolster, that depends on how many Mystics are in raid. Normally I will select the highest DPS whether they are in my group or not and cast it on them. I also cast my group bolster pretty much any time it is up.

I don't announce soul shackle to my group because the ability modifier buff is really in the noise. Most have several million ability mod.

I do announce Stampede of the Herd since it offers a damage proc per hit. It lets the group know to use fast casting CAs or spells for maximum benefit.

I usually try to be aware of who the elementalists in my group with Pact of The Fire Tyrant running. For them I try to use Torpor on them preemptively. Between that, totemic protection, and transcendence or ancestral channeling, I can usually keep them out of trouble. The other night I had two of them in my group and still kept them alive most of the time. I'm sure a couple of the druids form other groups probably helped me out a few times in a pinch, but it was a fun challenge.
    Dude likes this.
  6. randomplayer Member

All good info

So as for spell upgrades - I am almost to master with Transcendence. What should be my next one? I was thinking the group cure. I do not want to buy dbc at this time so it would be time and those potions.

I chose elementalist for ascension before I knew about the pact of the fire tyrant thing. So for now, that's a given. My friend and I are trying to make as many of our spell upgrades as we possibly can so at the moment I am at adept with them. I guess I quit last time before the whole ascension thing. My monk is in the same boat with it.

I am usually with a fury and we do pretty well. Is there any way i can cast a group heal or cure on another group?

Thanks for the advice. Next time I see you in the blinding I will introduce myself.
    Dude likes this.
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

Nope. Point heals and point cures only.
    Dude likes this.
  8. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I don't play a mystic, so I'll not pretend that I do, but I play a number of healers. I can tell you one thing you want to focus on and be prepared for in this xpac..big time heals and detriment curing. So make sure you place a priority on getting your heals and cure spell levels up there where possible. Not that the other spells aren't important, but detriments and heals are huge this xpac.
    Dude likes this.
  9. randomplayer Member

That's what I figured. I chose my group cure as my next master.
    Dude and Bhayar like this.
  10. randomplayer Member

Greetings again !

We're into Tier 2 and I have some questions about some of my spells.

Premonition - who do I give this to? I have been giving it to the weakest member of our group.(health and power)
    Ancestry - 3% trigger - I have been casting this on the top dps. Sometimes they click it off. Why would they do that?
    Ritual of Alacrity - keep it on top dps?
    Lunar Attendant - this casts a HOT? When tshtf I cast this because why not. Does it really help?
    Torpor - I imagine nobody wants this cast on them...
    Ancestral savior - usually things are moving so fast I can't think of using this. Who should I cast it on, and when?

I'm having some issues switching targets. For raids I have been assigning macros as my group (melee dps) is static and I don't have to click around. But then I am limited to who I can give stuff to.

Healing through the mob. Never heard of this. Does this mean I can target the mob directly, then cast my single target heals to whoever is most hated? Big if true.

Thanks in advance for your help !
    Dude likes this.
  11. Melkior Well-Known Member

Premonition: Depends on the group you are in. I cast it on the tank and whoever else needs health the most.

Ancestry: Not sure why they'd click it off unless they have a better spell that doesn't stack or overwrites it. Ask them.

Ritual of Alacrity: This spell used to be amazing, but most people are well over cap for Cast, Reuse, and Recovery. That leaves just the proc, which isn't bad but not a game changer.

Lunar Attendant: Not really worth casting from what I've experienced.

Torpor - Spec for the Focus that halves the penalty of Torpor and its hardly noticeable. Especially good for your Elementalists using Pact of the Fire Tyrant. Maybe not great near a joust, but otherwise an excellent spell.

Ancestral Savior - I tend to use this when a tank's death save is down and bulwark is called for. Otherwise, unless you are using a custom UI it is difficult to target and cast it in time for it to be effective on a random group member.

Healing through the mob: Yes. Target the mob. You can Single target ward and heal the mob's target. Spells that don't work outside of group still won't work, like Oberon or Death Save, but many other spells work fine.
    Dude likes this.
  12. randomplayer Member

As always, ty for the response.

I respec'd for Torpor I will cast it a few times and see if anyone notices.

My pc has somewhere around 30 ms ping but in game I ping at like 130 ms. Sometimes this is very unfortunate... Add that to the raid lag that everyone complains about and there are some raids I am just doing a spell rotation and hoping for the best.

Thanks again !
    Dude likes this.
  13. randomplayer Member

Do raiding mystics spec for Ferocity of Spirits? There is a 4% weapon damage bonus group buff that can proc, I think.

I have not - I used my points on Ancestral Support and it is very handy in some fights. Do you find that this buff improves melee dps enough to be worthwhile? I think I can get the basics of both within the limitations of the 25 aa for the category. But I do rely on AS for fights such as Librarian.
    Dude likes this.
  14. Loke Member

I haven't used the left side prestige line for quite a while, several expansions at least. I currently have one point in Ancestral Support but hardly ever cast it and the end line ability on that side isn't very useful once you know what belt runes to use on each fight. On the other hand, not only are the offensive buffs from Ferocity useful, Barrier of the Spirits is outstanding. It's usually second or third on my parse on raids because it's instant cast and easy to spot ward where needed across the raid.
  15. Loke Member

As for DPS on my Mystic, most of it comes from auto-attack and ascensions. The Mystic spells/combat arts are sadly not going to contribute much to your dps. At this point they're really only useful to proc Empyral Incineration and Feedback Loop if you're an etherealist or w/e proc on attack your ascension class provides. Even after the food buff nerf auto-attack is still my highest parsing ability thanks to Wendigo and always being grouped with an Inquisitor in our current raid config.
    Dude likes this.
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

Is there ever a time in non-trivial content that you can afford the 'no healing out' that Wendigo imposes?
    Dude likes this.
  17. Melkior Well-Known Member

I hear you there. I do find I can use it situationally. After my group ward or Soul Shackle go up and my buffs have been distributed I will use Wendigo in conjunction with Totemic Protection or Spirit Tap. But I'm always ready to click it off early if I need to. I have been challenging myself to try to do more DPS, but my primary focus will always be healing and buffing first. If a big DPS in raid goes down we lose way more DPS then what I put out.
    Dude and Breanna like this.
  18. randomplayer Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I redid my aa to try this out. I haven't had much experience with it yet.

I might put together a dps gear template with 2h and the flurry items to see what happens. Right now resolve is critical as we are at the last boss in normal raids but I could use it on some of the others.

I never chance it. My clicking skills are just not that refined that I could react in time. And yes, keeping the melee dps alive is what it's about right now. I just hate being last on the dps parse.
    Dude likes this.
  19. randomplayer Member

btw...i can't seem to find the icon for Barrier of the Spirits anywhere.
    Dude likes this.
  20. randomplayer Member

nm i found it. musta looked at it 100 times. or maybe it appeared when zoning idk
    Breanna and Dude like this.