Questions for duo

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Factionz, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Factionz Guest

Just started playing a monk yesterday, duoing with the gf who is playing a Fury.
    I'm kind of confused on where I should be putting my AA, it seems like no matter what trees I go with they both have DPS and tank options. Right now i'm level 22 with 48 AA, did the STR tree first and then started down INT, but i'm not sure if this is the optimal path or not I really just put stuff in random spots.
    Any advice would be helpful.
  2. ARCHIVED-Firnbarion Guest

3. ARCHIVED-Factionz Guest

Alright, i'll check those out ty.
    Also should I be using a 2hander or dual wielding while leveling or does it not matter? What about offensive/defensive stance?
    Updated title since I have questions other than AA now.
  4. ARCHIVED-Firnbarion Guest

Hi
    Nice to see another monk level up....
    This site is also a good one to see what possibilities you have: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Monk
    When you solo/duo you want to put out dps so yes - you go offensive - no questions about that.
    When you are in a group and you tank (and only than) you go defensive. Please be aware, that the whole AA set up for a tank is different than for solo/duo. On Tentonhammer you will see this.
    Now about the weapons. Because you are able to fight with many different weapon types it is advisable to traine all of them. In low Levels you want a weapon that is fast (1.6, 1.7 sec.) when you are in higher levels you get different buffs that let your auto-attack be more precise and more powerful. So than you can take a weapon that takes longer to hit but when it hits it is much more powerful. If you like the animation of stabs - do it - if not - just take fists or claws. I personally do not like to walk around with a stick on my back...but that totally depends on your likeing.
    So yes, overall - to play a monk is great fun, powerful and you will survive many situations that other classes would not - as long as you know what you are doing and as long as you keep your equipment on top.
    Cheers
    F.
  5. ARCHIVED-Factionz Guest

Thanks for all the advice mate.
    Yeah I bought a mastercrafted 2-hander to use for a few levels and didn't like it, I replaced it with clubs at 32. I thought I should be using low delay weaps as well but all the mastercrafted weapons are 5.0 delay so far.. kinda crappy but oh well.
    I didn't realize you could only put 50 points in the Brawler tree until 70 too so that was kind of an eye opener. I'm loving it so far though can't wait till I can do some dungeon crawling.
  6. ARCHIVED-Firnbarion Guest

Hi
    If you have a look at the fistwraps that a weaponsmith produces at the TAILOR Table you will find good weapons with a 2.5 sec. delay:
    http://eq2.zam.com/db/recipelist.ht...afted&order_by=
    It also helps to check out the marketplace from time to time to find Legendary or even fabled weapons for Monks. But the Fistwraps will do for a long time until you reach high levels.
    And yes AA Points: When you reach Level 81 you can go full AA - when you reach Level 70 (or 71) you can go up another 20 points (if I am not mistaken). Velious will bring in no Level Up but AA will go up to 300 instead of the 250 now.
    Enjoy!
    F.
  7. ARCHIVED-Bun Guest

Does this advice stay the same for DoV?
    I was playing a level 20 monk before the expansion, maybe it's all in my head but I don't feel as powerful as I did before. It's been hard to find current advice on monks and now I'm not sure if the advice still applies.
    I play solo and don't have a sugar daddy alt to twink my character.
  8. ARCHIVED-Firnbarion Guest

Well what I see after the expension went live is the new tree we got - Heroic. It is true, that Crit and Mit are THE important ones in DoV. But I play there right now and I was (for a solo player) well equiped before the expansion. But I tell you, that I really needed to do the beginning quests with the Othmir to get my new armor, otherwise I did not have a chance against the Mob there. But I did not change any of my AA Trees until now and it goes well. Thanks to the new tree added with the expansion I can rise the important things with no problem. So yes, I stay right now with the AA Set Up I got from Tentonhammer. I am a Lvl 90 Monk with 251 AA (just did that one tonight). Maybe it will change after some time, but for now I am ok. And anyway, the mob in the older zones did not change, just in DoV the Mob has Crit Avoidance so that is a big change. But with the new armor you get there with questing - you will be fine.
    F.