Questions about tanking classes?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by daffi, Jan 17, 2013.

1. daffi New Member

So, I recently bought Gold Membership and Age of Discovery expansion. Only played EQ2 for a week on Saturday (so like 5 days as of right now). I leveled a Warden to 50 to lvl cap it and raid with my buddies progression guild they called it. However to reach end game and hit lvl 95 and etc, I want to be a tank. I decided that an SK would be my choice of tank, until I read and people told me, SK's will rarely MT, and that I will find my self sitting in reckless dps'ing a lot. I HATE dps'ing, played WoW for 8 years and every other mmo I've tried, cannot stand to be a straight up DPS, it's not my playstyle. It's either Heal, Tank or nothing lol. I was told to re roll Monk or Guardian, or possibly a Bruiser. So, are SK's really not MT / tank material, if tanking is what I desire, am I really better off going Guardian? Monk is out of the question cause I want to be a plate wearer.
  2. daffi New Member

A fast reply would be GREATLY appreciated, if someone is capable at this time of the morning lol. :), REALLY enjoying EQ2 and sad I had to wait this long to play this game :(, Why did I experience the awfulness of Cataclysm instead of coming EQ! lol. Anyways would be great so I know to either A. Continue lvling or B. Look at Guardian / Bruiser.

Thanks!
  3. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Any of the tank classes can MT, depending on gear and player skill. If you look hard enough, you will find an MT of each of the 6 types fronting a raid guild somewhere in this game.

If you're still unsure, try making some of those other MT classes that were suggested to you and trying them out. You get 7 character slots...
  4. daffi New Member

Can't get a true feel towards each class cause dungeon finder doesn't exist low levels anymore. Everyones kind of end game at this point and just solo / duoing mobs with my merc and friend doesn't feel the same, idk lol.
  5. Chronus Active Member

Current raid main tanks are almost all if not all brawlers with the occasional guardian. If you hate dpsing roll a templar seeing as all tanks must dps to hold aggro as 1 threat=1 damage. If you must be plate and mt go guardian as they can at leat rotate stoneskins and deathsaves to prevent death touches but I'd still recomed brawler, however seeing as they do the most dps in defensive after sks you might not enjoy it.
  6. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

What kind of tank did you play in WoW that you'd like to sort of play here? We don't have all the same things, but there are some that have similar attributes. If you want to be a non-DPSing main tank at end game, closest would be Guardian, but like Chronus said, you still have to focus on some DPS to hold aggro.
  7. Silzin Active Member

If you are not looking at the hardest of the hard raid tanking, any of the tanks will work for tanking. If you are wanting to be the raid MT of one of the Top 10 EQ2 Guilds World Wide then you will need to roll a monk or guard. even if you want to raid Hard Mode content, when you get into a raiding guild you probably will not be the MT so a SK or Pally would work good. Also as an SK if you want to get more Defensive then just betray to Pally and you will be better off.

Just my 2cp
  8. daffi New Member

You all took my dps thing wrong, probably cause I can't explain through typing over of the internet. DPS'ing as in STRAIGHT UP dps, like when I'm in reckless as a SK, I gain no threat from abilities, therefor I am a DPS not a tank so to speak.
  9. Ivory Member

Your Shadowknight CAN be an exceptional OT but you will lack the death saves that the others have to MT current HM raids. So when you say your going to want to Tank raids, are you wanting to MT or OT?
  10. daffi New Member

Healed and MT since vanilla in WoW, good ol PROT WARRIOR! lol, but guess I'm just going to look at the healing classes other then my 50 capped warden to take to 95 for end game, I play on Freeport, anyone happen to know what healer is needed so to speak at 95 current content lol, like as in one that people don't play?
  11. daffi New Member

Say I want to MT, Brawler or Monk straight up? lvl locking SK at 50 and starting a new toon as soon as I get some replies in and researching more now lol.
  12. daffi New Member

Yea so Guardian, Brawler or Monk I guess is my tanking options? (how are Zerkers, they MT???) Out of those, what would I pick for MT tanking material haha, there isnt alot of info to research, googling like CRAZY.
  13. Vlahkmaak Active Member

Your question can only be answered for current content. SOE has demonstrated an inability to consistently have and maintain a stable tank plan. We started the game with an alpha tank concept (guardian vs all else) at launch with zerks the preferred OT and crusaders/brawlers the third string pick up tank.

Over time we saw all tanks wanting MT duties and by mid game life wound up with age of crusaders. During this phase SKs ruled them all. Currently while the tanks are all closer aligned than ever before Monks have an edge with DPS and survivability but guards, bruisers and crusaders all enjoy good tanking roles - zerkers currently, while great tanks when played well, have most likely drawn the short end of the stick.

The same could be said of any tank in any previous xpac though. Many of the less desirable tanks in previous expansions always had a few champions that played them well even when no one else would touch the class. Any tank class can tank. If you want to build your rep as a tank pick one and learn to play it well.
  14. Ivory Member

Zerkers are awesome Heroic tanks but like Shadowknights they don't do as well at MT the current HM Raids. Leveling a Guardian will be very similar to leveling a warrior as strictly protection (without the dungeon finder). It can be done but its not fast. If your wanting to level up quickly then make a Zerker and betray to Guardian once your higher in level but you will have relearn a new tool set.

Closest comparison:
    Zerker = Fury Warrior that tanks
    Guardian = Protection Warrior
    Pally/Shadowknight = Protection Pally
    Monk/Bruiser = Monk? (Stopped playing during Cataclysm expansion so not sure on that one)

Hope that helps. What ever you choose to play if your good at it, you will find a spot to raid. It may not be the MT position but if you learn your class well, people will want you in their groups/raids.
    Cyrde likes this.
  15. Boli Active Member

Not true, the original concept was Guardians and Paladins are the main defensive tanks; Shadowknights and Berserkers more offensive and Brawlers as "avoidance" tanks with monks being the more defensive of the two.

The problem was they never really sorted the tank healing abilities out at all; the idea was the paladin could use their heals in a rotation as much as a guardian used their temp buffs (back in PreLU13 there were no stoneskin/block abilities); so warriors were always thought of as the superior tanks as they took less damage instead of taking slightly more and healing it. Add that to the continual problems with avoidance tanking (still issues we are dealing with today) and you ended up with guardians being #1 as the content favored them completely.

It has only been in the last expansion(s) that the heals - at least on a pally terms - actually function as defensive abilities reliably due to damage reduction and stoneskins extras added to them; although at a massive cost to DPS. Sadly due to a need for paladins to be given a niche we are overloaded with agro transfer abilities to such an extent any discussion over giving paladins more hate tools has met with "but you have amends you HAVE to agro problems" regardless or not if they understood the problem at all.

Brawlers suffered the same problem as avoidance tanking ranked below mitigation tanking for so long they were re-invented with a new role "emergency tank" halfway into the game and given an abundance of abilities to quickly snap agro and survive it for a short duration; as well as having their base DPS adjusted slightly higher. Brawlers were then further adjusted in TSF and especially in DoV so they can survive agro much better but they still retained all their snaps and saves.

Content from the end of TSF onwards has tailored more towards tanks needing hate snaps and stoneskins than anything else which due to the (needed) change to fix brawlers tanking but leaving them with all their "emergency tank" abilities. This lead to brawlers having the best of every world DPS, Snaps, Survivability, Stoneskins, Agro... and no flaws.

This has happened before in TSO when Shadowknights were fixed; it was a needed fix but all these fixes together meant the shadow-knight (and by proxy the paladin) had a significant DPS advantage over every other tank as well as a couple of tailor-made buffs for the expansion (crusader's aura / Grave sacrament) - in TSO it was less about surviving red-text messages and more about religiously following scripts and having healers cure fast. There were (and still are) flaws in the crusader trees but they were masked completely by the sudden rise of DPS.

A lot of these problems are exasperated because tank classes are linked consistently a "warrior tree" and a "Herioc tree"; a global adjustment to the warrior class to give them better damage reduction benefits Berserkers more than it does monks as since they are the more offensive warrior. It does not work the other way around however a DPS increase on the crusader tree helps both crusader's... but helps Shadowknight's more as since they have the highest innate damage anyways the change only widens the gap between themselves and the other tanks.

Whatever class you pick you are going to see all these changes and shifts in balance; when a new mechanic in the game is introduced some tanks will be able to deal with it better and then instead of being mocked for rolling that particular tank class suddenly everyone wants you and is rolling that class.

If you reach the end of this post then this is my advice: play whatever tank takes your fancy; in the end it does not really matter as once/if you get to the stage where it really matters whatever advice we give could all be null and void and you could be playing a broken class.
    Cyrde likes this.
  16. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

No idea why ppl always want to pussyfoot around an answer in these types of threads.

Guard/monk.
  17. Othaodin Member

Yea i just want to do the role i intended when i made my roleplay concept, and that is to PROTECT! if your a protector GUARDIAN is the way to go. the name says it all. pretty self explainatory xD
  18. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Because your answer will probably be totally wrong 6 months from now.