Questions about an alt

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Lagerale, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Lagerale Member

I recently came back to EQII after a long time away when I heard about the new server. I'm all access but haven't bought anything from the store and I am currently playing a conjurer. I am having fun but I am an alt-a-holic and know I will stray from it when I jump to the new server. I'm a typical solo player but will group (have been from raid guild to casual solo in most MMO's from EQ1 through to ESO and most anything in between). The biggest thing I've fallen in love with on the conjurer is the utility spells, I like the pet too but that's because I'm squishy and it's not if I played a less squishy character or one with heals it would make up for him tanking for me so that's not huge. Invisibility, under water breathing, see invis, cat eyes etc etc etc I love them all and use them lots. Am I going to feel gimped playing something else?

I don't need "the best solo option" but solo viable (with the new server rules/game play) is helpful. I picked conjurer because I knew I was just getting a feel for the game before the new server came out. I just hate the idea of leaving all my fun, useful spell behind. So any suggestions you want to toss on here I'd appreciate it.

Also I have read that mercs come if you buy the Kunark expansion and if that's true I don't have it and I'm playing without them because they won't be unlocked in the new server anyway (main reason I didn't buy it).

Lakeland Seasky
    Huzzah!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Nilyana Active Member

Necros are very similar to conjuror, being their other half - they get the invs, see invs, water breathing item, and mana shard, but they also get feign death and a resurrect.

Some other classes with utility... Fury gets a group invs (at 45, so later than a conj gets invs), they will also have water breathing, which also makes it easier to see underwater, and they get teleports. Wardens also get water breathing, teleports, but they get evac instead of an invis. Wizards get teleport, evac, as well as the invs and see invs. Warlocks get the same, with no evac.

But, if you have any interest in crafting, woodworkers make totems which do pretty much all the utility stuff you're looking at. They have totems to breathe underwater, to evac, to see invs, to invs, to stealth, etc. (You could also always just make friends with a woodworker, too.) So you could really play any class that interests you, and still have those utility buffs when you need them.
  3. Lagerale Member

See wood working sounds like the way to go for me.Thank you for the information, also teleport sounds really useful. So many skills, no wonder I'm an alt magnet.
  4. Nilyana Active Member

Teleports will be especially nice on the new server, since TLE servers have a lot of travel restrictions, it can save a bit of running around.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Lagerale like this.
  5. Momo Well-Known Member

Careful though: Totems for stealth, see invis and waterbreathing will be available reasonably soon, but evac requires a woodworker level 84, thats several expacs in.
    (Feign death can be tinkered, but I can't remember when Tinkering was added.)
    One more things thats extremely useful for solo questing is the tracking ability. All scouts get it, but you can also have it as racial trait (I know Half Elf, Wood Elf, Halfling and Kerra, but not sure if these are all).
    And I personally also like "safe fall" but thats just me - like jumping off hights ingame, couldn't tell you why for the life of me :)

Ah, and almost forgot: I lalso love run speed. But thats just because I hate horses. As soon as you have a mount you won't really need it I think.
  6. Lagerale Member

I noticed the two characters I have made since I came back have had "glide" or some sort of safe fall (High Elf conjurer and a Fae fury) first does every race have this now or is this new and second what races will have it on the new server or do we not know?

I don't mind waiting on teleport, even getting it as a class (say fury) totems for under water breathing and invis would be so great though. So many choices.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Tell me about it! I'm probably one of the most notorious alt-aholics out there (almost 7 dozen! I blame the Marketplace for having extra slots available for purchase! :D) and I've literally played every crafter and class (and race) but Channeler. If you're ever interested in playing a Warrior type, I do like the Brawlers, Monks and Bruisers, for soloing, even if they are "squishy leather wearers" (make friends with a Tailor [or be one!] as well ;->).

I like just about every class for soloing, frankly, other than the plate-wearing priests (Templars and Inquisitors). They're not bad in a group where they're protected, but by themselves (I don't "molo," or run with a merc; haven't even unlocked them yet and probably won't), they're usually pretty slow for casters (if you get one, make sure to look at anything that helps your casting speed) and their so-called "plate armor" seems awfully thin when you've got 87 undead in your face and you're taking 3.5 seconds (which is forever in combat) to cast something that might help. Also, see about getting things that prevent you being stunned, stifled, interrupted, etc. :-/

Most of the classes that might have been aligned back when you were playing last aren't any more; anyone can be just about anything nowadays except for 4 class "sets": Paladin/Shadowknight fighters, Mystic/Defiler priests, Conjurer/Necromancer mages, and, strangely enough, Swashbuckler/Brigand scouts (not Ranger/Assassins; I guess it's far worse to steal from someone, rather than kill them). Those will definitely still be Good/Evil and if you Betray your home city/alignment, you'll change to the other one when you finish that quest line. For instance, your Conjy will go Necro. ;->

As far as housing goes, if you do Betray, you can keep all your old houses (and Bank stuff; no need to clear that out any more, the Banking system is pretty neutral :D), but... If you've kept your account since the old days and not made a new one recently, your Veteran Bonuses should still have accrued, and there may be a chance soon (if it hasn't happened already) that you could type in the /claim command and get a free Mistmoore Crags Estate prestige house. If you plan on Betraying and can get one of those (or any prestige house from the Marketplace or Loyalty vendors, but free is cheaper :D), do so, and place the portals that let you get back there in each of your homes in your current alignment cities. Then do the Betray thing, and when you get the other side's housing, place portals there. Now you can safely go back to your first houses without running the risk of KoS if they're not in New Halas/Kelethin or Gorowyn.

As far as races with Slow Fall/Glide go (your quoted question that I finally got around to looking at after all my blithering! :D), a lot of this stuff is also available on the Zam for EQ2 (http://eq2.zam.com) and Wikipedia (http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/EverQuest_2_Wiki:Main_Page). The Zam, though, is old and spotty here and there, but the Wiki has far more (quantity and quality) annoying ads you have to wrestle through. When I need to look up something, I just find the thing, do a Save Page to a .txt file, and run away. ;->

So, yeah, asking folks here and/or in-game is probably less headache-inducing. ;)

EDIT: Races with Slow Fall/Glide (called various things depending on the race; under Innate Abilities), from Zam:
    Aerakyn (which probably won't be on the new server yet?)
    Arasai/Fae (they get two, sort of...for the second one, must not be mounted; guess their li'l wings can't handle the extra weight :D)
    Dark Elf/High Elf
    Erudite (also get Water Breathing as a racial thing [ask me for details on that one... :D])
    Froglok (NOT Slow Fall/Glide, sorry, but they can breathe underwater and walk underwater, too, so that's an interesting form of movement...though not terribly useful, imho, so just ignore this one :( got carried away...)
    Iksar (can also do Water Breathing and Aquavision [all the better to see you underwater with]; they're pretty cool, even though they start out Evil [you can always Betray :D])
    Kerra

I think that's it. ;->

Good luck and have fun! :D

Uwk
    Lagerale likes this.
  8. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

Note that Kerra and Iksar have Safe Fall not Slow Fall, Safe Fall has to be trained up and only increases the height from which you can safely fall, dismount at altitude or fall from high enough a cliff and you still go splat even at maximum skill.

Erudite seem to have a true Slow Fall but it sounds like it may have to be cast rather than be permanently ready.

Also, there are two Kunark expansions with confusably similar names, Rise of Kunark which is old and included in the base game and the latest Kunark Ascending which includes the merc feature.
    But mercs were introduced, and included in Age of Discovery which was more of a feature pack than an expansion and isn't included but I would expect mercs to be available when the server reaches that point though presumably only for those that own AoD, the merc feature that was broken out of AoD and sold on the Marketplace or RoK.
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

Welcome back!

Honestly, as a crazy alt person myself, I can say most of them can be pretty fun. And with tradeskilled items, I don't think you would miss conjurer's spells on many of them, particularly if you are soloing.

It's also worth mentioning that some races have abilities that you might find equally awesome.

On the front page of the Eq2 wiki here is a section for classes & races. I recommend looking that over to get a feel for what each (especially the races) have to offer.
    I mean my warlock I made 2004-2005 can track these days because of racial abilities. My mystic can teleport to group members. etc. Quite a few classes get an evac type spell. Lots of classes get some kind of invisibility spell (all scouts, all mages, at least one priest class and one fighter class). Tinkering gives some useful clickies (feign death, harvesting tools, manastone type things). Woodworking has a variety of useful totems.

Mercenaries do indeed come with the KA expansion. It will be a while before mercenaries open up on Fallen Gate though for sure, they won't come until Age of Discovery and that was years into our expansions.
  10. Lagerale Member

Thank you all for the answers and information, I am having a blast back here and can't wait for the new server. I am playing a fury a bit and so far like it. I'm not locked into caster/melee I've played most in various MMO's, although if I'm honestly my sense of direction in games doesn't seem to match mine in real life and for that reason I stay away from most tank classes (as primary tank) just because in groups I hate asking "is it this way?" and it's easier to follow the group healing or such when I do group, main reason my primary character in EQ1 was a Cleric because it sure wasn't his ability to solo back then.

I do research online, but I just worry because some the things I have found are so outdated and some that seem outdated actually are pretty current it's just somethings haven't changed in a while so going by dates something was written isn't always enough. I play in windowed mode so I can easily open up other pages or notes I have saved.

I have learned I'm much better at 50%/50% experience because when I get the Legend/Lore or language quests I'll hang out unttil I complete them and I was way out leveling stuff so this way I boost up my AA's and it's working well. I like the Fury more then the Conjurer so far (knowing I can fill in for things I don't have with totems or other items for the most part helps). I will probably try one or two more classes up to 25-30 before the server goes live then it dive in head first.

Thank you again for all the information!

Lakeland Seasky
    Former SBC healer Huzzah!!
  11. Momo Well-Known Member

Gliding is just a racial ability of some special races. You could look them all up for instance here: http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Racial_Traditions_(EQ2) The utilities you are looking for are alway listed under "innate abilities". Afaik the races will be all in.

And teleport: What Nilyana meant is a world traveling spell. Druids get it to use the druid ring system and wizards/warlocks to use the ulteran spire network. The bells on TLE are very limited and other players can use those as well once cast, thats why its a very sought after ability. But it is completely class dependent. Totems give only zone evac.

Ah, and there will be no AA the first few expacs. Trying out everything that appeals to you on live is a good idea (leveling there is so much faster, and you just need some levels to get a feel for a class). One more weekend to go ;)

On the other hand: This game was designed for grouping (at least initially). It feels so very different from soloing - and for grouping TLE is something like a one and only chance at low levels. And also a perfect chance to learn a class from scratch. For soloing I would honestly prefer live servers, there are many things there implemented that makes it viable, that TLE will be missing.
    Lagerale and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What Fink said. ;->

And yeah, I agree for the most part: I actually prefer the live servers as well. I do like a lot of the innovations we've gotten over the years (quit that giggling, the rest of you; the ones that work, rock! ;->), especially for helping out soloers, though I do miss the suburbs... :(

I have only 2 characters on the current TLE, Stormhold, and they're both under double-digits in levels still. I probably won't do too much with them until they unlock the Sundered zones. :D

Uwk
    Lagerale and Prissetta like this.