Question on Leather

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by xkrisx, Jul 26, 2014.

1. xkrisx Well-Known Member

I understand mechanics and stats in this game just fine, but...

Has any other Leather Tank out there noticed that even with extremely high stats, we still seem to eat random one shots more often then plate tanks.

Is there some hidden mechanic that makes leather squishier regardless of mitigation value ?

Is it still there but unnoticed by plate tanks due to there always up until triggered Death Prevents. "" I don't know all tanks but I know Pally's get one, SK's get blood letter and perhaps something else, Berserker's get 1 as well. I do not know about Guardians though. ""

Or do my healers just not keep wards and reactives on me through the entire fight causing me to take a massive hit when I finally do get hit.

In combat, I am usually around 18k Mitigation or higher, I am capped on Block / Uncontested Block. I sit around 2 million HP in raid. I know how to cycle temps for specific spells and such and even sometimes able to catch the random one shot with Myth Clicky or something but, it does get annoying at times to be sitting there and out of no where just getting hit for 3 mill or something and going splat. I play a Bruiser and have been happy to have progressed this far and tanked what I have tanked but, if it werent for the Drinking Games played by fellow guildies when I do go splat, I dont think I would have a tanking position at times :)

My stats fluctuate occasionaly on EQ2u but link is posted below if you would like to view my character. Most of the stats posted above are from a raid standpoint so keep that in mind when viewing the below.
    Thanks
    Comments / Questions, post uhm here.

EQ2u Link
    http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/2168963186291
  2. Corydonn Well-Known Member

As a bruisers we only have one damage reduction which is stone cold. Unless you count unrivaled focus in its super nerfed state and Last Stand which I am not sure triggers when a death save or tenacity goes off. Monks get a sweet helping of provoking stance while crusaders have a bunch and seekers do as well.

As for death saves. I'm pretty plate tanks all have toggleable ones that last until triggered so getting a second ranged weapon with Evaded Blade/Resort war Rune wouldn't be a bad idea to swap on for when tenacity is down.
  3. Corydonn Well-Known Member

Also a lot of our survivablility before was luck based with Adrenahline Rush being a 50% chance to stoneskin the next physical hit after taking 50% damage. I used to die because that ability simply didn't go off when I needed it and now it has a 45 second cooldown to make it infinitely worse. We also lost proc chance on our stoneskin from 33% to 10% along with Riposte Chance being capped at 12% now on gear and its a lot less common. Add in the fact mobs strikethrough again like cheaters! Then our riposte stoneskin goes back to being terrible.
  4. xkrisx Well-Known Member

Yeah, just using Evaded Reaper still isn't a consistent variable to use for one shots, as it doesn't always go off. I have tested Last Stand multiple times and I am unable to determine exactly that will trigger the DR but, Tenacity does trigger it when it goes off, warden DP spells do NOT trigger it. Havnt cared to test other healers. Pacemakers trigger it as well. I keep bouncing back and forth between the HP on Taunts and 50% DR @ 2% HP in Dragon Tree for the DR proc, but.. it still boils down to NOT being able to predict the random 1 shot.

Now I kinda wish we had a toggable DP spell like EVERY tank in game aside from brawlers have. Oh well, I will continue on I suppose.
  5. xkrisx Well-Known Member

Yeah, the bat being swung at brawlers stone skins and the like really hurt this time around. But, even with that, I would be fine if I could just ya know, not randomly die for no apparent reason lol. Hell, an "untill cancelled" DP with a 5 min recast " @ 100% reuse " would be fine with me ;)
  6. Silzin Active Member

Unrivaled Focus to have a "Ones ever ~4 Secs" would help a lot.

Changing the Brawler Int Line to a Defensive Tool would also be a good point to start with.

for Monks changing Meditative Mending to not have a trigger Limiter would be nice (it does not proc very often as it is)

there have been several Monk and Bruiser changes threads over the last about a year that have hit on a lot of good points and ideas for changes.
  7. xkrisx Well-Known Member

I have been active I think in everyone of those threads lol. HOwever, I dont think a single one of them have had a dev response lol.
  8. Malleria Well-Known Member

The only response I've seen was Xelgad commenting how his monk is just fine. Cause, y'know, brawler automatically means monk :rolleyes:
  9. Corydonn Well-Known Member

I'll get him at SoE live.
    Azomonas and Malleria like this.
  10. Strac Active Member

Don't even get started on the whole "nothing to see here, monks...i mean...brawlers...are just fine" :rolleyes:

imo there's a couple things adding up that end up ruining a Bruiser's gameplay.

- strikethrough of mobs. It's basically an anti-Brawler ( yes brawler in this case ) mechanic. Since all tanks get pretty much the same contested avoidance, and it being easy to deal with from a encounter design perspective ( contested checks), the only difference in avoidance between plate and leather tanks is the uncontested one. And once that defense line has been crippled by kinda every raid named having seemingly 100% ST, all we got left to fall back on are the abilities corydonn already mentioned above.To deliver on a stable basis as Bruiser, you need to be able to control when your mitigation peaks etc, otherwise the scenario xkrisx mention in the OP happens. you mitigation procs were down / stoneskin procs whatever - splat.

- Leather armor templates are equal to plate armor templates....except for mitigation values. It makes little sense to give the 2 tank types identical stats on their armor, but giving plate an extra ~30% mitigation. While at the same time giving nameds specific tools to counter avoidance (strikethrough), while there's no such mechanic to bypass mitigation (not sure if all the curable mitigation debuffs even count. they haven't left a memorable impression on my decadeof raiding in EQ2)

- low passive survivability; already mentioned above, our passives have been nerfed into uselessness. Putting some DR or 40'ish% ST immunity on bruising spirit might help out, at least for the duration of that temp. Then again, sooner or later mobs will just get an extra 50%ST to counter it..so nm :(

Looking at how raids are designed it seems we are heading down a road of having a rotation of tanks who just hold aggro and cycle immunity temps&deathsaves and once they're down, next tank takes over.

And for what it's worth, if SoE doesn't want Bruisers to be tanking raid encounters, fine...but letting this bleed into heroic content is just not fun. Ahrmatal and his 100% ST is just a slap in the face. Yeah yeah, i've done it with several different healer types solo healing, whatever...but it's plain and simple zero fun as Bruiser, and zero fun for healers. Maybe for masochists, who knows.

and yeah sorry for derailing at the end there
    xkrisx and Malleria like this.
  11. xkrisx Well-Known Member

Give us 100% AoE Avoid on FD :) that could come in useful lol. Give us 1 Tog-able DP and I would be happy. Call a foul ball on that nerf bat swing and revert Brawler D-Stance and Stone Skins back to CoE Style and I would be ecstatic.

Other then that, I will continue to get my raid drunk 4 nights a week :)

Cheers !!!
  12. Genghes Active Member

Best advice I can give for bruisers is....
    -get 2.5 mil hp buffed
    -use rock skin for the extra mit
    -cycle inner focus when ever it's up and watch for it to drop
    -use tag team and impen will between the rock skin and inner focus timers
    -only use your dp if you see yourself spiking and your other temps are down
    -have a shaman as one of your healers, the wards will make those strike through his more manageable
  13. Genghes Active Member

However, I'm with the general consensus..... I wasn't expecting the nurf bat to hit a grand slam on bruisers
  14. xkrisx Well-Known Member

I still say it was a foul ball.. or the person swinging was using performance enhancing drugs and should disqualify that hit :)
  15. Silzin Active Member

I may be off my rocker… but I think that Bruisers should be an AoE/Offensive counterpart to the Monk class. Just like Zerks and Guards are and SK’s and Pallies are. I have NO idea how to accomplish this goal… But I think it would be best for the overall health of the game of Monks and Bruisers where not both competing for the MT position.
  16. xkrisx Well-Known Member

Oh I agree 100%, but then if they do that, they need to knock Zerks and SKs back down a notch on the tankability side and up Bruiser DPS quite a bit.

I am at a loss anymore for how to make it work. Just give us all the ability to tank equally and call it done lol.
  17. Strac Active Member

That's alright with me, i never understood why Monks got Dragonfire and Bruiser Knockout combination, if we're the AE version of brawlers. Generally the dps difference monk - bruiser is smaller then the 2 warrior and Crusader types.
    It's not like SK's and Berserkers have these oneshot problems as bad tho...and if Bruiser is just ment as a OT or to snap stuff in emergency situations, it's still monks that have more of the really big rescues. Peel, provoking stance and hidden openings vs our D&C (unreliable compared to peel), wild beating (lol at 5m range....) and staggering blow (4 hate pos vs monk's 6)

Why do paladins and guardians have more of a basic hate gain approach, and the zerkers and SK's more snaps, but when it comes to brawlers, monks seem to get the cake AND eat it...?
    To be in line with the ability disposal of monks, Bruisers would need some serious dmg boost.
  18. Silzin Active Member

I agree with all of what you are saying. Most of the Bruisers abilities that you mention here probably need worked on or range increased.

As for Snaps the difference in the snaps we get i think is ok... Monks only have ST Snaps and Bruisers have some AoE Snaps. the AoE snaps i think should have less positions per target then the ST ones. But if D&C needs changed to have positions (I do not know if it does atm) then that may need to happen. In all of ToV that i have seen (Not all) i have not needed all of my snapping tools.

As far as survivability goes... the Devs nerfed both Brawlers going into ToV for what ever reason, and now we both are having problems again (Like TSO, and SF Time). some changes have been suggested and could be made, but its hard to do without making us Look OP. I think what NEEDS to be done for true Brawlers and Plate Tank Balance to take place is a complete revamp of the Avoidance System.