Question for the Lore / Storyline Geeks

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by oldskool, Aug 10, 2013.

1. oldskool Active Member

Part of my problem with EQ2 is there is just so much to the world. For me, it's easy to get lost. I know there is a great story here - but I think I've lost the plot.

My question is if a new player was coming to the game. Someone is was more into the story and less into the gear and levels and such - what path would you suggest? Which quests, zones, and raids are integral to the telling of the story of Norrath?

I know there is a great story here somewhere. But damned if I can find it.
  2. Valkysas Member

You can just go buy expansions most the story driven - ones that lead up to next expansion or are HQ / S quests are the ones with the main story's i believe

but you may feel a bit let down at higher levels lore kinda just disappears

any reason why Tunare is using spiders instead of forest spirits or high elf ? .. Spiders just don't seem to fit imo and makes it feel lame
  3. TheCynic315 New Member

Well lets start with the overall plot: Ages End. This can be split into two subplots each with supplemental info. The two subplots are The Void and The Awakened.

If we go by level then we would have to start with a few subplots to the Void storyline. This would start with Ruins of Varsoon and the Chamber of Imortality, you would also want to do The Strange Black Rock HQ. Next we move onto the story of The Everlings in Nek Castle.

You would then want to move on to OBLS and do ALL the dropped book, remembrance, quests. These give background info on The Shadowmen, orgins of The Nightbloods and some info on Betrox and Rodect Nief. Be sure to do the L&L for Shadowmen and Nightbloods as well as their language quests.

Next we move onto the first questline in The Awakened plotline- The so called Prismatic line. This is the line where you learn the language of dragons and work for Lord Naggy.

Next we move on to the DoF expansion. Here you will want to do The Courts of Maj'Dul questlines, Learn of Miss Sul and the water of Life in the Peacock quest line.

A small subplot will take you to the Shimmering Citadel and learn how parts of the plane of sky CRASHED into Norrath, this mostly helps setup understanding of the next expansion KoS.

In KoS you will want to do the Claymore line to learn about the Cult of the Awakened.

Also a subplot will have you work with Naggy again and another will show you Droag society with the Mark of the Awakened quest.

Next you would want to visit the Mage tower in your respective capital to get Zeb's book. This book explains the timeline split between EQLive and EQ2, this is important because next you will be going to the Island of Mara and trying to meet a strange man who washed up on the shores of the village (Spolier) Its Zeb.

Do all of the quest lines on the Isle and the final raid to learn of Zeb's prophecies and usher in the Return of the Gods.

Next you move onto the Soulfire questline in EoF.

EoF has some supplemental info for the Void in another Obelisk instance in LFay, you will also want to do the Freethinkers quests in LP to learn more about the Yidal and Mayong.

There are plot threads about the gods and Mayong in a few of the raids.

Next we start wiping out dragons in ROK, do your epic quest line and be sure to Take On Trakanon. The VP access quest will give you the Chelish stone and you will get the first in game mention of Ages End.

Now Trak was holding onto some ancient storyies about adventures who fought the Void in the past, these stories used to be online, but ingame you will next head to Moors and do the Ethernaught quest line. Also Do the Palace raid zone to meet Miss Sul.

SF is where The Awakened plot and Void plot merge. Do the sig quests for this expansions, Search for Lucan and Footsteps of Dartain. Also do your epic conversion, When you Kill RT the God Slayer you will learn that you have defeated the Void's influence of Norrath but also kind of given Kerra all the power he needs to destroy EVERYTHING.

From here, my knowledge gets fuzzy, but be sure to do the DoV sig quests, then the CoE sigquests.

Huh, this made a lot more sense as I lived it.
    Dulcenia likes this.
  4. Deago Well-Known Member

In the beginning there was an endless array of zeros...
    The Developers created Norrath and saw that it was good...
    The Developers created Mobs that filled the lands and saw that it was good...
    The Developers created Avatars to keep the lands and saw that it was good...
    The Developers created Lore to give the Avatars hope and saw that it was good...
    The Developers created StationCash to keep the Avatars worshiping and saw that it was good...
    The Developers created Flying Squirrels to keep the lands mysterious and saw that it was good...

:p
    Cyliena likes this.
  5. TheCynic315 New Member

No no no!

In the begining the Gygax did create the D&D and Vhalen said "Let there be Lore!"

Then Brad said unto his proramers "Let us create a world full of quets for ever"

And Sony said unto The Brad "Who art thou who maketh the Quests?"

And ... Yeah thisjoke ran out of steam
  6. Deago Well-Known Member

The only real part of the entire EQ2 saga that made me lol and make countless jokes was the entire void series. I believe I was not alone in my distaste for anything void-like post TSO but when SF had it I just started cracking jokes. Ex. What we raiding? "Void-Turds." ...right right right....out of the giant big black portal..right right right :p
    Alantia likes this.
  7. TheCynic315 New Member

You were not. Many people seemed to dislike The Void story line and TSO was just a poorly executed expansion so that didn't help much.

I think another problem with The Void is twofold:
    1) The original base game only has OoLS which was a buggy zone and the lore there was REALLY weird. Aliens, Souls being sucked clean, Monsters, Mutants. Very Science Fiction for a High Fantasy game.

C) While they kept dropping hints about The Void, with the Everlings and Varsoon or the God King quest line and Miss Sul. MOST of the lore was contained out of game in the set up to TSO. Then TSO hits and its 10000% Void and we now have to come to terms with two of the Gods being ascended Aliens. Fan favorite zones like Kurn's Tower become void zones disappointing everyone. And then if you step back and look at everything its all just been a setup to make Kerra a threat to the Gods.
  8. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Kera(fyrm):
    [IMG]

Kerra:
    [IMG][IMG]

:p
    TheCynic315 and Cyliena like this.
  9. Cyliena Well-Known Member

All the places!

Really, there's lore everywhere. Each expansion has expounded upon the game lore. Signature and hallmark quests are a great way to get lore, as well as finding and reading as many in-game books as you can.

Don't forget to visit the lore forum as well. :D
  10. TheCynic315 New Member

I think it'd be better if I was right.

It would make that whole I Can Haz quest in Odus WAY more interesting!
  11. Deago Well-Known Member

Not even a vampire fanatic (old school vamps are fine..bram stoker, nosferatu etc..) but I really like the lore/coolness surrounding Mayong Mistmoore (I call him Maybong for short :p)

Did he really die in the EoF raid?....seriously bring his carcass back as a merc or something... even if its just like Nagafen for sport.

It could be just the vocals (who doesnt like vocals right?) with Lucan/Mayong (I believe he had a vocal...maybe not...) anyway he is just too cool to toss.

Just bring back Mayong as a gangster in the next expansion...call him the The Real OV o_O:p
  12. TheCynic315 New Member

Mayong isn't dead. In fact I am not sure he can die.

He shows up after you take on Trak, then in TSO we break into his Summer home because....ummm...us Bards wanted his drum I think.
  13. Rotherian Well-Known Member

The Real O.F.* :p

* Original Fangster. :D