Question about level requirements for RoS expansion mounts and familiars

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by E_Ferrika, Sep 13, 2021.

1. E_Ferrika New Member

I'm thinking about purchasing the Reign of Shadows expansion while it's on sale primarily to gain access to the Vah Shir race. I'm trying to decide if a collector's or premium version would be worth the extra money. My play style is playing a bunch of characters of different classes while moving slowly through the old content. I'm definitely not in a rush to end game and it's very likely that none of my (9 and counting) characters will reach even level 100 before I move on to another game. Consequently, the mercenaries are essentially useless to me unless things have changed so that they can be accessed by characters of less than level 120. As an alt-a-holic, the one per account items don't interest me that much either and I thought the house and furnishing were a bit "blah" so my decision rests on the usefulness of the mounts and familiars.

This brings me back to my question . . . what level restrictions, if any, are in place for the familiars and mounts? I looked on the wiki and didn't see any mention of level restrictions for the familiars. The mounts appear to require level 30 which I wonder about since that is a lot lower than usual for a flying mount. Hopefully someone can confirm if what I found on the wiki is accurate and, if it's not, what the actual level requirements are. Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I cannot speak to the mercs/familiars of RoS, but the mercs in BoL wasn't difficult (with the exception of Grolla) to obtain and use on my lowest level 3 character. However, it did require one character that could both access it and either plant a Tactical Rally Banner from your guildhall (reliable) or use Call of the Veteran (unreliable). The familiars that came with BoL premium edition were readily accessed via /claim without any pre-reqs. Regarding the mounts, yes, they have a lot of flying mounts that are now marked for being usable at level 30 even though they have left previous mounts with level 85 restrictions in place. Kind of odd since those earlier versions do not have any of the stat boosts that the new collector/premium edition mounts have. Just keep in mind that those stat boosts are restricted to the higher levels (110 in the case of BoL).

Before I forget, the mercs I was able to access for lower level characters were Melbin and Grolla (from Overseer quests, can be purchased for cheap (usuall) on broker). Horthis from the CE was also accessible. However, the merc from the Premium edition, Tarsil the Pure, could not be accessed without each character being able to access Sanctus Seru. I expect RoS to have similar restrictions, but as I said before, I do not yet have RoS.