question about aa/level lock

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Edins515, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Gorpier Guest

The good news is the aa's aren't governed by a level range.. so if you had 80 aa's, you could theoretically have them at 70 or at any other level. Gotta take into consideration though that you still get that adventure xp so it would be impossible to have 80 at level 11 I would think :) Edited for dumb mistake.. I said you still get combat xp and i meant adventure xp :)
  2. ARCHIVED-Golok Guest

I actually played on a PVP server where just about everyone level locked, but from what I skimmed through, no body mentioned getting exp debt while locking. Well basically, turning off combat exp won't diminish the exp gained from quests (sure you won't get exp for killing the mobs for it). So to further slow down your leveling while maximizing your AA exp gain, get 50% exp debt before going out and doing quests. When playing on a pvp server, occasionally you'll come across a low level person that keeps attacking a guard and respawning, well essentially that's all you do. You remove all of your gear, go to a guard near the bell or a gate so you'll respawn right next to him after you die, and just tab target and auto attack. It takes roughly 100 deaths to round up 50% exp debt (getting 0.5% exp debt per death) so when you go out and turn a quest in, instead of gaining around 15% exp you'll probably get around 2-5%. That's just the hardcore way of level locking; the players in pvp servers usually did that to better themselves in actual pvp combat, but of course AAs help in pvp and pve so it's always nice to have a few more AAs than usual :). Anyways, just my 2cp.
  3. ARCHIVED-Edins515 Guest

these are all excellent answers and just what i was looking for. thanks for the answers !:thumbup:
  4. ARCHIVED-theplayer0670 Guest

SO one could turn OFF combat XP in Darklight Woods at 10 and just do the quests? for AA?
    So all questing XP goes to AA instead of being split?
  5. ARCHIVED-Lortet Guest

This thread (necropost alert) has some old and now incorrect information regarding aa collection.
    for example - aa points are now gained from doing greyed out quests (providing the quest gave aa xp prior to it being grey of course)
    Greyed out nameds do not give aaxp - so you would have to mentor for these.
    True locking of xp includes locking quest xp as well. This now also locks collection xp (and also tradeskill writ quest xp, so if you are a locker and do tradeskill writs you need to turn quest xp back on to get the tradeskill writ bonus xp)
    you can now also turn off quest xp - the xp is lost, not converted to aaxp - you get the same aaxp if the quest xp is on or off
    So in summary - once you reach lvl 10
    AAxp is gained from most lvl 10+ quests the first time they are completed (still lots that don't, especially the "report to Captain Feralis" type, and low level guild writs). They no longer need to be mentored to make them con green, and that's why you now see so many (non mentored) lvl 80's in the lowbie areas finisheing old HQ's and normal quests now - trying to get a few more aa points.
    from discovery of tier 2 and up locations
    from discovery of certain items in game - for example the status items that can be sold to the mages, scouts, priests and fighters guilds for status. HINT don't pick one up prior to you being lvl 10 - you can still sell it for status, but will not get aaxp for it.
    Collections - don't hand in your collections until you reach lvl 10
    Killing certain nameds - they must con at least green, many quest npc's do not give aaxp, and many of the nameds littering the Commonlands (Xrinchel, Carapace, Thrumplate etc) don't either. Haven't seen so many no-aaxp mobs elsewhere.
    As to mentoring being just as good - a mentored higher level player trivialises the content - as someone says above - so much of the content is soloable anyway - mentoring requires at least two, and with one overpowered........... My lvl 24 SK with only 35 aa points can chain fight solo through the upper level of stormhold killing even the scion without stopping (well ok, he stopped for 60 seconds after that one) - so imagine a mentored lvl 50+ one in a group.
    Which character benefits the most through aa xp early on? I haven't played them all, but the melee priests - Inquisitor, Warden and Mystic are able to change their slow attack spells into fast higher damage melee attacks, gain access to those attacks before the CA actually comes available as a spell, and gain high melee critical attack bonuses, so they are definitely in the running for first prize. The above mentioned SK gets access to some pretty impressive abilities, including vastly increaasing his ability to leech health back from his damage inflicted - so the more damage he does, the more he heals himself. If he gets hurt, he can heal faster by fighting a few easy mobs than by waiting.
  6. ARCHIVED-stereos Guest

Hykaree@Runnyeye wrote:
    So what are the benefits of level locking now? If greys still give aaxp, and all you have to mentor is the named greys, is it now basically just a way to slow the leveling process? It seems if grey quests give aaxp then there is no need to level lock anymore.
  7. ARCHIVED-Liral Guest

I love to turn off both quest xp and combat xp and do a TON of content from a tier, especially in the beginning. There is just SOOOO much to see and do between all the starting areas that you can REALLY rack up a TON off AA points and see a boatload of great content. I mean there are a TON of small dungeons, side areas, etc from level 10-30 that you can spend a lot of time gettigng AA points anmd building up your cash from selling stuff on the broker. I mean you have the several areas surrounding and right off Qeynos and Freeport and the dungeons below them, Antonica, Commonlands, Faydark, Butcherblock, TD, Neriak, etc etc.. Just a TON of great stuff there. I personally love the beginning up to the middle part of the game. Not so fond of the higher level areas myself. I've been playing this game for years and my very first toon I ever rolled is still only at level 71 or 72. I'ev made and deleted countless others in that time. :>)
  8. ARCHIVED-Lortet Guest

Yes, you can do the grey quests for aa now - but what is the point of the game - to be lvl 80 with lots of aa or to do the content while it is current and therefore challenging? I like the second option, but that is just me. My lvl locked lvl 15's can do almost all quests up to lv 20 solo - very carefully but it can be done, and fun - if I brought back my higher level bruiser he could do them all, chain kill the mobs and move on - but not be fun. I don't care if I play for two days without "advancing" my character, just as long as I have fun doing it.
    Reminder - I only responded to this thread initially to make it evident this thread is largely dead - dating back to 2007 since when many changes have occurred. Please look at the dates of the posts closely.
  9. ARCHIVED-Liral Guest

Just to give you an idea of how much there is to do I have a level 24 character that now has 34 AA points and I still have a TON of quests and named kills I can do in a number of different areas. You can rake up a lot of cash as you get lots of stuff to sell on the broker so getting good gear and spells while you level is easeir.
  10. ARCHIVED-Ghouti Guest

Just wanted to add one thing. If you solo through the game without locking xp you will still end up with around 120 AA at lvl 80. After that if you plan on raiding you will need to up that which means a lot of grinding but well so does getting better gear :p But locking lvl might get you more AA when you get to lvl 80 it also takes a lot and a lot and a lot longer. I am now lvl 38 (82AA) after 5 months while my lvl 80 got to 80 (124AA) in about 2 months. Just play the way you like, if its your first character i suggest not locking xp and just enjoy the game the lvl pace and once you hit 80 start a new toon. (the cash you earned in the meantime is also a nice bonus to outfit the alt).
  11. ARCHIVED-TheSpin Guest

Ghouti wrote:
    This is good advice. My level 68 inquisitor with around 140 AA has taken me something like 20 days of actual played time to level. I still have a lot to do in the 60-70 level range, so he'll probably have 145-150 AA by the time I get him to 70. There's a lot of content out there, some of it is great and some of it you may not enjoy. If you're enjoying what you're doing at your current level range, don't let the unseen force of becoming the 'best' push you into leveling up and missing quality content.
    I don't think I'll ever lock to this extreme on a character again. I spent days in the sewers and some of the less enjoyable zones. I am really happy with my inquisitor though, he kicks some serious butt. The only class that can hold aggro off of me for more than about 5 seconds is a paladin with amends on me, and even the paladin will lose it if the fight is a long one.